4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 2:18 PM by johnrellis

Lightroom & Adobe Elements Metadata

numptette

Hi, I have catalogued over 20,000 photos using Adobe Elements. I have written extensive descriptions in the Notes field  Information>General>Notes. I have now started to use Lightroom but the Notes field in Elements does not show up anywhere in the Lightroom metadata. Is there anything I can do? Thank you

• 1. Re: Lightroom & Adobe Elements Metadata
          dj_paige Level 9

The Notes field in Elements will not transfer directly to Lightroom.

What you can do (and I'm sorry this is somewhat vague, but it has been over 5 years since I went through this myself) is to write the Notes to the photo files (in Elements, select all photos and then File->Write Tag and Properties Info... do this overnight so all 20,000 of your photos now have the Notes written to them); then use something like Exiftool to copy the Notes to some metadata field that Lightroom does import (such as caption or any other field in Lightroom), then import the photos into Lightroom, and your notes will be in Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Lightroom & Adobe Elements Metadata
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The XMP:Notes metadata field is apparently used by just the Elements Organizer and not recognized by other applications.  When I migrated from Elements to LR, I used the free Exiftool to append the value of the XMP:Notes field to the XMP:Description field (where LR and other programs store what is often called the "caption").  Or you could append it to another standard field, e.g. EXIF:UserComment.

• 3. Re: Lightroom & Adobe Elements Metadata
              numptette Level 1

tthank you so much for your help, I don't suppose you know how to do this step by step, I just don't know where to start. Thank you

• 4. Re: Lightroom & Adobe Elements Metadata
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, I no longer have the script I used.  If you're familiar and comfortable with command-line tools and scripting, there numerous examples in the Exiftool documentation that should be sufficient to get you started quickly.  But if you're not familiar with command-line tools and scripting, I don't recommend taking it on, unless you are prepared to spend many hours learning the basics and then Exiftool.  (The learning curve can be pretty steep and daunting.)