4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 12:59 PM by R Neil Haugen

PC build for PrPro & SpeedGrade

R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My builder is suggesting some body parts for a new editing machine, based on an Asus mobo listed below with 32Gb RAM,  re-using my current EVGA GTX770-4gb video card and twin-raided SSD system drive ... but of course, there are choices. I don't know between the chips he's suggested which is best especially of course per dollar ... though a few dollars here & there I'm not worried about. And is the mobo a good choice for cost/performance?

ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 - Newe…

Based on the above, he offered these chip choices ... and reasoning ... I try to follow his reasoning, but ... I'm not the tech brain he and clearly some around here are. And while he builds incredible gaming machines per dollar, he doth get frustrated when Adobe doesn't code things the way he thinks they should, and his knowledge of just what works for the Adobe DVA's isn't as comprehensive as many here. I have had him look at the Tweaker's page. I don't know how much weight he put on what he found there. Anyway ... these are what he suggested for CPU ideas given the above choices ... would love to hear thoughts & suggestions.

Assuming we get any one of the options to an extra 800Mhz with the same $300 cooling system, their total Mhz per dollar scores are:

6 core Ivy-Bridge @ 4.8Ghz / $1325.99 = 21.7Mhz/$

6 core Haswell-E @ 4.1Ghz / $0689.99 = 35.6Mhz/$

4 Core Devil's Canyon @ 4.8Ghz / $639.99 = 30Mhz/$

Or, in the context of single threads, like a given video stream, where its simply top speed / $:

Ivy-Bridge @ 4.8Ghz / $1325.99 = 3.6Mhz/$

Haswell-E @ 4.1Ghz / $0689.99 = 5.9Mhz/$

Devil's Canyon @ 4.8Ghz / $639.99 = 7.5Mhz/$

So while the old Haswell offers in stock speeds the greatest Mhz per dollar ratio in a general sense, the Devil's Canyon gives the best top-speed per dollar.

In contrast, using stock cooling and keeping stock speeds, the per-dollar efficiency is pretty stellar:

6 core Ivy-Bridge @ 4.0Ghz / $1025.99 = 23.3Mhz/$

8 core Haswell-E @ 3.0Ghz / $1049.99 = 22.8Mhz/$

6 core Haswell-E @ 3.3Ghz / $389.99 = 50.7Mhz/$

4 Core Devil's Canyon @ 4.4Ghz / $339.99 = 51.7Mhz/$

So basically, the sweet-spot for efficiency without taking into account the cost of building a whole machine to support the CPU, is the Devil's Canyon as linked, sans additional thermal units. Taking it into overclocking, however, we would expect to pay 117% the cost for 120% capacity. This is one of those very rare cases when I'd recommend doing so.

• 1. Re: PC build for PrPro & SpeedGrade
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

first, game machines are based off maxing the graphics. most get by just fine with an i5 and a high end video card or two or three.  video/graphics programs are the opposite. they use the cpu much more than the graphics, and in some cases like AE, use the graphics very little to none.  video games are still primarily 32-bit applications, which only use 2 cores but usually run better on 4 core cpu's. most video/graphics programs are now 64-bit which will make use of as many cores as given. the problem is with bad/sloppy programing, which adobe is guilty of.  parts of the program are still single threaded, 32-bit based, and therefore can bottleneck the program as everything has to wait just for one part of the program to finish. AE is guilty of this, as many of its effects are still 32-bit and ruin its performance. they have their tricks to help get around it, but its still terrible. they are supposedly working on updating it to be true 64-bit and use the graphics card to catch up with the other major players in that market, but who knows when they will do that. these may be some of the things he gets frustrated with, as would anyone who buys a fast computer only to have the software bottleneck itself. this is becoming extremely important as intel is adding cores and dropping its clock speeds to gain performance/speed. intel has some xeons with 12, 14 and even 18 cores. that 18 becomes 36 with hyper-threading!  any program thats not full/true 64-bit could bottleneck a $50,000 super computer into a $500 dell. this is why its so important that software companies get their act together.

so for parts, if you need to save money build around a  i7-4790K and possibly re-use your ram. if you have the budget, get the latest and greatest, the new haswell-E. the i7-5820K is best value, but there is also the i7-5930K and i7-5960K. the new haswell-e takes ddr4 ram, so you wont be able to re-use your ram. ddr4 also costs a bit more as its new tech. if you are overclocking and paying for high-end overclocking components, then you can afford to go with the haswell-e.

• 2. Re: PC build for PrPro & SpeedGrade

Thanks for the comments, very instructive. Like that.

Bill Gehrke or someone else want to chime in here? Please?

I'm out of my depth ... totally ...

• 3. Re: PC build for PrPro & SpeedGrade
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well I am building a X99 based system for myself.  But cannot spend too much time with details right now.  I will try to do more details but my motherboard is the ASUS X99-E WS because of the many PCIe lanes and the onboard m.2 x4 socket.  This is the future, no RAID required, no hard drives..  I just was able to acquire a Samsung SM951 m.2 SSD and the Premiere Pro write rate with our PPBM was 1483 MB/second!   That is better than 10 times your best hard drive performance.  Read rate around 2000 MB/second.

• 4. Re: PC build for PrPro & SpeedGrade

Bill, wonderful rig you're building there. Seems the budget is a bit above what I can currently justify. Green with envy, yes I am!

However, any comment you could make real quick on my above parts list would be VERY useful.