4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 8:46 PM by elmer_banate

Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers?

elmer_banate Level 1

Hi,

Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers already?

Can anyone give me the list of limitations in XML to InDesign.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers?
          MW Design Level 4

Think of XML into ID as not much different to importing a plain text file (with obvious differences re. being able to map styles to elements).

You can write an XSLT to change the XML stream of footnotes to be wrapped in characters that you can then modify the ReFoot script to use to make them actual footnotes. While ID can run XSL/XSLT files at import, I would recommend using an XML editor capable of running them instead. If you know what you are doing with PERL you can use a good text editor to even add characters inside the brackets for the footnote elements so when imported the ReFoot script can then be altered to use them.

The ReFoot script for running in ID once the XML is in, is available at InDesign Secrets:

Indiscripts :: ReFoot: Convert Markup Text into InDesign Footnotes

Mike

• 2. Re: Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers?
            elmer_banate Level 1

Hello MW,

First of all thanks for your reply. Yes I can create an XSLT to change the XML stream ready for import into InDesign template that we have. I have also downloaded the Refoot.js and UnFoot.js. For the footnotes I have already workaround for that, but how about the index-markers and cross-references do you have any idea on how to deal with it?

Actually I have already XSLT script that will convert XML to InDesign Tagged Text. But our client want us to use the XML embedded in InDesign so they can just export the InDesign back to XML easily. I know that there are limitations in XML to InDesign, but we need to proved to them that using XML is not good to use in this workflow because of those limitations. So I'm looking for the list so I can send to them to tell them that what they want is not doable since there are a lot of things that XML in InDesign can't do.

We have existing XML to InDesign round tripping workflow; 1) first we have the XSLT that will convert XML to InDesign Tagged text including footnotes, endnotes cros-refeneces and index-markers; 2) once the layout is final will export the InDesign document to HTML; 3) use XSLT script to convert exported HTML to XML. But it seems this workflow is not efficient to them. Can anyone suggest what other workflow for round tripping XML to InDesign.

Again thank you very much for your quick reply.

Regards,

Elmer

• 3. Re: Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers?
              MW Design Level 4

Hello Elmer,

No, I haven't needed to deal with more than footnotes. So the others you list would be out of my pay-grade.

In thinking about your work-flow, I cannot imagine it being better than it is. But perhaps because I have an XML first, middle and last perspective, with the web, eBook and print being in the last position. To me, those three avenues are end-points and not an originator of content.

If I had to have XML in and out, I would use tagged text. But that's being said without any knowledge of what that "out" would be being used for. I don't think the architects of ID's XML capabilities ever envisioned it would be a viable source of XML out except in a very rudimentary way. And I am uncertain it could be. Other than a plain text novel, XML out has no concept of the presentational layer that ID does so well. But that presentational layer cannot be expressed in XML once the presentation goes beyond a simple flow of text (and images). Once the presentation is beyond the simple flow of text, there has to be manipulation in some respect to approximate the ID presentation.

As I mentioned, ID makes a far better end-point in an XML flow. All else is time-overhead for which costs rise.

Mike

• 4. Re: Does InDesign CC XML support Footnotes/Endnotes and Index Markers?
                elmer_banate Level 1

Hi Mike,

Thank you for giving your time in answering my inquiries. I just hope that in the next version of Adobe InDesign they will considers those things as Adobe FrameMaker can handle it. I was been a FrameMaker user years back and all of those things are doable in FrameMaker.

Thanks again!

elmer