8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 1:40 PM by Szalam

How do you put fire on a car's wheels?

fadis12439300

i need a fire effect to put on the wheels of a moving car does anyone know how?

Message was edited by: Michael Szalapski changed generic post title "hey" to something more useful

• 1. Re: hey
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have stock footage of fire? If so, you can use the distort effects to make it in a circle and then use motion tracking to attach it to wheels.

If you don't have stock footage of fire, there are many ways to create fire in After Effects: Pro Video Coalition - Fire in After Effects by Rich Young

• 2. Re: hey

The easiest (and most fun) thing to do would be to get a fan, a black background, and some ropes soaked in kerosene (they might need to soak for a day or so). Make a circular shape with the ropes around something dark, set them on fire, and blow the fan on them. You'll have fire going around the right shape and then you can composite it into your car shot.

Of course, this should be done outdoors with all of the normal safety precautions when you're dealing with fire.

• 3. Re: hey
              bogiesan Level 4

Similar question appeared yesterday. Might be a classroom assignment.

while i loves me some practical fire effects, oh yeah, try Particle World. You'll need a week or two learning how it works.

• 4. Re: hey

bogiesan wrote:

Similar question appeared yesterday. Might be a classroom assignment.

I think it's actually the same poster. His/her sense of urgency must be pretty high.

• 5. Re: How do you put fire on a car's wheels?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, I get the feeling that somewhere in the Great U S of A, a long-term high school class assignment got blown off until the last minute.

As we all know, that's the absolute worst time to try to learn AE... and now some unfortunate high school kid knows, too.

But then, it could also be the season for college midterms... which makes me despair for the Youth Of America. 
                  Those guys have two or more years' experience under their belts and should know better.

• 6. Re: How do you put fire on a car's wheels?
                    fadis12439300 Level 1

thanks guys for discussion my problem and not giving me some usefull advices ! and yess it's a midterm thing

• 7. Re: How do you put fire on a car's wheels?
                      bogiesan Level 4

fadis12439300 wrote:

thanks guys for discussion my problem and not giving me some usefull advices ! and yess it's a midterm thing

Ah, but we have provided both advice and possible solutions. I told you that Particle World must be applied to a solid and not to your car layer. That pice of advice ALONE solved your problem. Except now you have to learn how to use PW and track the emitter to the wheels. Those are advanced functions for which you need lots of time. Slz suggested you use stock footage. For which you need time to search for it, download it, resolve it, mask it, blend it, time stretch it. All of which takes time and effort. Study. Scholarship.

What we did not do for you was perform the acts of assembling your project and rendering it for you.

Beginners are always surprised at how difficult After Effects is. It is like no other application they have ever used. The workflow is different from anything else. It's deep and it's complex and it's really fun to use after you've learned the basics. Which takes a few weeks of really hard work.

• 8. Re: How do you put fire on a car's wheels?

fadis12439300 wrote:

not giving me some usefull advices !

I don't know what you mean about not giving you useful advice; I linked you to a whole page full of fire tutorials.