14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 7:32 AM by peterent

Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa

sourada
      [I hope Adobe reads these forums. I tried to submit this as a customer service request, but the customer service request form kept telling my I had to enter my First Name, Last Name, and Email address, even though I _had_ entered them!]

I can't seem to install the Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa. I had it installed fine in 3.2/Callisto. I uninstalled it from there, installed Europa, then tried to install the plugin. After I selected the Eclipse folder, I got the error:
      "Please choose an existing Eclipse folder (3.1 or greater) to be updated. This folder must contain eclipse.exe and the standard folder named "configuration"."

All three conditions (3.1 or greater, eclipse.exe and configuration) hold in my case, so I don't know what the real problem is.
        • 1. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
          java the hutt
          I have the same problem, *plus* another question. Why do I have to install the Flex Builder plugin in my eclipse install directory? It makes reinstalling eclipse a pain in the ***. Please support installing to an eclipse extension folder, like every other plugin known to man. Thanks!!!
          • 2. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
            Robert Hirst
            Flex Builder 3 beta certainly installs with Eclipse 3.3, so perhaps if you need some bleeding edge function from Europa for a new project you could keep (restore) your stable 3.2/FB2 combination and install a copy of Flex Builder 3 beta into Europa.

I would tend to go with the written specs/requirements for the product as it was sold to you, rather than the specific wording inside the installer.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/productinfo/systemreqs/

Flex Builder 2 (includes Charting and SDK) for Windows
            Eclipse™ 3.1 or 3.2 , BEA Workshop 3.2.1, or IBM Rational Software Architect 7.0 (plug-in configuration only)

Flex Builder 2 (includes Charting and SDK) for Macintosh
            Eclipse 3.2 (plug-in configuration only)
            • 3. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
              sourada Level 1
              Adobe may not be obligated to make the plugin work with 3.3, but I don't think they're oblivious to the wishes of users who want to work with the latest stable release of the base tool platform, and there might well be a simple workaround that just isn't indicated in the dialog's text.

I will take a look at Builder 3 beta and see if it might work for me.
              • 4. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                Robert Hirst Level 1
                The Builder 3 beta really is worth a look when it's running on Europa

If you are trying to make J2EE projects and you hit this problem:

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-8127

I have found a workaround where if you kill the Eclipse process when the error pops up, when you reopen it the project will have been created successfully despite the error. You may have to tune some project settings manually depending on where it bailed out, but I've got projects running on JBoss 4.2 using this technique.

I'll register on the bug base at some point at add that as a possible workaround.
                • 5. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                  peterent Level 2
                  When we released Flex 2, we certified it for Eclipse 3.1 and 3.2; 3.3 wasn't available at that time. Since we improving Flex and moving forward with another release, we also make sure that it works with the laatest stable release of Eclipse. Ideally, every time Eclipse comes out with a new version we can be there, too. It is just a matter of time and resources.

We do listen to our customers and we do try to improve our products based on your wishes. I apologize for the faulty customer service request form. I'll look into that; we can't expect you to believe us when we say we listen if there's a roadblock in the way of getting the informatiom from you.

• 6. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                    sourada Level 1
                    Yeah, I figure the form problem was just a temporary glitch.

I'll be looking forward to the next release of Flex. I did briefly try 3 beta according to Robert Hirst's suggestion, but that didn't quite work for me and I didn't take much time to figure out why. I'll just go Eclipse 3.2/Flex 2 for now.
                    • 7. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                      NL-X
                      Has there been any progress in making Eclipse 3.3 (Europa) compatible with Flex Builder 2?
                      I just bought Flex Builder 2 last month, and I would like to be able to use the latest functionalities of Eclipse.

Is Adobe working on it? Or has Adobe interpreted the new functionalities of Eclipse as a way to lure current Eclipse uses to a paid upgrade to Flex Builder 3? In my opinion Adobe did not make Eclipse, so it should not abuse it in a way to pick profits from the functionalites of Eclipse.
                      • 8. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                        peterent Level 2
                        When we released Flex 2, Eclipse 3.3 wasn't publically available (it might have been in beta) and it had stability problems on the Mac platform. We decided to stick with Eclipse 3.2 because it was a reliable common demoniator. Since then Eclipse 3.3 has been made available, but we so far into Flex 3 development that we opted to put Flex 3 on the latest Eclipse version.

This happens all the time in the software industry - product A which uses product B and product B gets an upgrade which is incompatible with product A. The makers of product A do their best to keep up, but other factors and their own product schedule make it difficult to play catch-up all the time.

I'm not in Sales, but as far as I know we've not formally announced any pricing decisions.
                        • 9. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                          NL-X Level 1
                          I have seen the pricing decisions on Flex Builder 3. They're public. But I don't care about Flex Builder 3 (beta!).

I care about Flex Builder 2 (the latest stable production version) that I bought less then a month ago. Why would I have to upgrade to a beta to be able to use the latest Eclipse version?!

It isn't that big a job to make Flex Builder 2 compatible with Eclipse 3.3. I have it working already by bypassing the installation obstruction. There just are a few glitches left to be solved by Adobe to get Flex Builder 2 compatible with Eclipse 3.3.

The question is, are they working on it? Or are they using Eclipse 3.3 to lure people to buy upgrades to Flex Builder 3?
                          • 10. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                            scottdamazon
                            How did you bypass the installation obstruction?
                            • 11. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                              NL-X Level 1
                              Actually it's quite simple. But you have to be warned. This doesn't guarantee a bug free Eclipse setup and it isn't supported by Adobe in any way. It is how-ever your only shot at getting Eclipse with Flex Builder 2 AND php-development support, as Zend has stopped deploying the php-development-requirement for Eclipse 3.2 (or at least I haven't found it in their archives.)

Flex Builder 2 simply checks for some files to see if the directory you want to install to exist, so it recognizes the directory as an Eclipse 3.1+ directory. Eclipse 3.3 however misses the file startup.jar. If you simply copy startup.jar from an Eclipse 3.2 directory into the 3.3 directory, Flex Builder 2 will install in the 3.3 directory.

Again. This is not supported in any way by Adobe.
                              For more info, Google on: eclipse-3.3 Flex-builder-2 startup.jar
                              http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eclipse-3.3+Flex-builder-2+startup.jar

Kind regards.

PS. I would still like to have an Adobe Representative answer the simple question: Is Adobe or is Adobe not working on getting Flex Builder 2 to work on Eclipse 3.3? A simple yes or no will suffice.
                              • 12. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                                saucemax2
                                That work around is just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting!

-Robert
                                • 13. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                                  murrayt5
                                  Another alternative, the one that I'm using, is to install Eclipse 3.3.x, then install the Flex Builder 3 SDK, then go back and extract the Flex Builder 2 SDK, you can then configure your Eclipse 3 installation to use the older Flex Builder 2 SDK for compiling.
                                  • 14. Re: Can't install Flex Builder 2 plugin in Eclipse 3.3/Europa
                                    peterent Level 2
                                    This is a good idea. It will also help us test Flex 3 and make it a better product.