10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2015 12:27 PM by Stavros F.

Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)

Stavros F. Level 1

I use Premiere Elements 9 with a Mac (OS X 10.10.2) and Instant Movie does not complete! It goes up to 100% at applying the settings of the Instant Movie and it just will not move on. With previous versions of OS X it used to work!

Any thoughts?

Can anyone with a Mac with the latest OS X (10.10.2) and Premiere Elements 9 try to reproduce this problem?

• 1. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so I cannot road test your Premiere Elements 9 Mac issue on Mac OSX 10.10.2 or other.

Is this the first time that you are trying to use Instant Movie using Premiere Elements 9 on Mac 10.10.2?

Are all other features of the program working?

Have you ruled out the size of the Instant Movie as a factor in the issue?

Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4930

ATR

• 2. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
            Stavros F. Level 1

ATR:

Thank you for your reply!

I think it is the first time I tried using Instant Movie with this version of OS X. However, it used to work with previous versions of OS X.

The other features of Premiere Elements 9 seem to work ok! However, I got some crashes but related with Instant Movie operations.

No, size should not be a matter: I even tried to make a very small one!

Yes, I am using 9.0.1 update of Premiere Elements 9.

Stavros

• 3. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros

Thanks for the reply.

Still thinking about this in general, since I am not sure a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Mac user working with Mac OSX 10.10.2 will be responding to your request

for an attempt to reproduce your Instant Movie issue.

If the size of the Instant Movie is unrelated to the issue, have you explored the source files that are going into the Instant Movie? Have they

changed since when the 9.0/9.0.1 feature worked in an earlier version of the operating system?

ATR

• 4. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                Stavros F. Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your reply!

About your last comment, I tried making an Instant Movie with source files and settings I had (successfully) used in previous versions of OS X, and the result is the same: Premiere Elements 9.0.1 stays "forever" at the "Instant Movie" window saying "Applying Retro..." at "100%". If I press cancel at this window, Premiere Elements (practically) crashes: I get a bouncing ball "forever" and from the respective application I can see that Premiere Elements is non responsive.

Stavros

• 5. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

Thanks for your reply.

I am at a cross road as to which troubleshooting path would not generate more problems than you already have. Right now you report

that all seems to be working except Instant Movie.

If the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file did not impact the Instant Movie problem, an uninstall, free

ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewall (as appropriate for Mac) should be considered. But there is no

guarantee that you might run into installation problems when you go to reinstall 9.0 and then 9.0.1. The next thought regarding

permissions might be the next step.

I am not sure if it is valid to look at this as a permissions issue. I have seen an assortment of Elements Mac issues addressed

by Repair Permission....the path might be Application Folder/Utilities/Disc Utilities and Repair Permissions.

The true test is to find a Mac OSX 10.2.2 user working with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and Instant Movie to confirm your results

since there is always the possibility that there is something in the Instant Movie feature that is not compatible with your computer

operating system.

I am not sure what versions of Premiere Elements are "supposed to" work completely with Mac OSX 10.2.2.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks again for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 6. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                    Stavros F. Level 1

I tried the " Repair Permissions" path. Nothing changed!

So, the last resort would be:

Can anyone with a Mac with the latest OS X (10.10.2) and Premiere Elements 9 try to reproduce this problem?

• 7. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

Thanks for the follow ups.

If you cannot find

anyone with a Mac with the latest OS X (10.10.2) and Premiere Elements 9 try to reproduce this problem

Would it be of any benefit to you to look at tryouts of Premiere Elements Mac later than 9.0/9.0.1 on Mac to determine if anyone

of them has Instant Movie feature that works on Mac 10.10.2? I will post the links for those tryouts if interested...could be 10, 11, 12, or current

version 13.

ATR

Add On...Please excuse typing error in my post 5 where I typed as your operating system 10.2.2 instead of 10.10.2.

I cannot get back into the post to correct that.

• 8. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                        Stavros F. Level 1

Additional information: I did a clean install of OS X 10.10, updated it with all available updates (now at 10.10.2), installed PSE9+PRE9. The problem with the Instant Movie remains as before!

• 9. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

Thanks for the update. Discouraging that the core of the issue has not yet been identified.

Are you considering (for troubleshooting purposes only at this time), looking at the Instant Movie in a later version of Premiere Elements in your

computer environment?

ATR

• 10. Re: Instant Movie not finishing (Premiere Elements 9 + Mac OS X 10.10.2)
                            Stavros F. Level 1

ATR

I would consider looking at the Instant Movie in a later version of Premiere Elements in my computer environment if buying this later version would be an option. Since it is not (at least nowadays) I wouldn't like to install software that might a) mess my PSE9+PRE9 licensed installation, and b) be difficult to uninstall completely.

However, I would certainly use a trial version prior to purchasing a future version of PSE and/or PRE.

Stavros