5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 2:16 PM by Willi Adelberger

Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed

Amorifera Level 1

I'm not even sure how to put this problem into words. I exported a book consisting of two (long) documents to pdf. The resulting pdf looked just fine on my computer and pagination was correct. Then I e-mailed the pdf to the book's indexer and somehow the version she received had inserted a blank page at the end of one section and had renumbered everything following. I'm completely baffled as to how that was possible. Once a file is a pdf it's essentially an image file and numbering can't change, right? She e-mailed me back the file she received, and sure enough, there is a blank page where in my version (the original file I sent her) a new chapter starts and there is no blank page.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening when a pdf is e-mailed?

• 1. Re: Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed
          Luke Jennings Level 4

A PDF is an image file only when everything it contains has been rasterized, usually not a good idea. I suspect your PDF may have some improperly embedded fonts, which are appearing differently on you indexer's computer. I further suspect she is not using Acrobat or Reader to view the PDF, and her viewer is automatically adding a page in an attempt to include some overset type, or possibly to ensure a new chapter starts on the right side of the book. InDesign will usually warn you when you try to export a file that contains placed elements containing improperly embedded fonts, but you can still output a PDF, if you choose to ignore the warning. With your PDF open in Acrobat, go to File> Properties> Fonts and confirm all of the listed fonts say "Embedded Subset". Do the same with any linked PDFs, or .ai files, if any. If all of your fonts look good, ask your indexer to save the PDF to her desktop first, then open in Acrobat or Reader, does the problem persist? How about if you compress (Zip) your PDF before sending?

• 2. Re: Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed
            Amorifera Level 1

Thanks for your response, Luke.

I checked the fonts as you suggested in Acrobat, and they are all listed as being embedded. There are a considerable number of graphics in the book, so perhaps something in there is the problem, though I thought they were rasterized on export (which is why my export fails half the time until I close down every other open application). Another thought I had was that our indexer can only seem to copy and paste Acrobat 4 files for some reason, and she uses Preview to view the pdf. Do you think she should be viewing it in Reader instead?

• 3. Re: Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed
              Luke Jennings Level 4

I do think she should be using Reader instead of Preview. Which version of InDesign are you using? What are your export settings? Why is your indexer copy and pasting, and into what is she pasting?

• 4. Re: Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed
                Amorifera Level 1

Apparently Reader is more difficult for her to use than Preview. She's pasting into an indexing program called Cindex. I'm using InDesign 5.5 and am exporting to Acrobat 4 under High Quality Print, with "optimize for web view", "Create Tagged pdf" and "View pdf after exporting" checked. I have had to export to Acrobat 4 rather than 5, as apparently she could not copy and paste the pdf if it was exported in Acrobat 5.

Not sure if any of that makes a difference, but it's certainly an unusual problem.

• 5. Re: Exported pdf shows an extra blank page when e-mailed
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer. Avoid it. Only Acrobat and Reader are supporting the full PDF standard, all other viewers are limited to a sub selection of PDF’s possibilities.