25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 9:57 AM by A.T. Romano

AVCHD interlacing problems

donaldc33563945

I'm having problems importing AVCHD clips from a panasonic HDC SD5 to my iMac. The interlacing has gone wrong recently, irrespective of how I import, direct to iMovie, via converter software, or direct to Adobe premier elements. I can't work out how to fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• 1. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
          whsprague Level 4

ATR will likely come in here with a lot of detailed questions, but can you be more specific about what you are doing?

• 2. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
            A.T. Romano Level 7

donaldc

What version of Premiere Elements are you running on your Mac computer.

I understand the situation you are in and to help you resolve the issues, I need for you to elaborate on your original description.

How is this "interlacing issue" presenting and does it present before or after export? Where are you seeing the interlacing issue?

Please confirm the Panasonic's camera setting as 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 25 interlaced frames per second.

Since you are working with Premiere Elements Mac, what is the file extension used by your original file....mts or other?

What program are you using for the video conversion of the original to obtain an import for Premiere Elements Mac - it is presumed

the file extension of the converted product is either .mp4 or .mov? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

along with Premiere Elements?

Specific to the Premiere Elements project...

a. Are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting the project preset?

b. What are the properties of the converted file that you are importing into the Premiere Elements project...

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

c. What are the reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out) in

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General?

The answers will be in the details. Let us start will the above and work through the factors to rule them in or out.

Thanks you.

ATR

• 3. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
              A.T. Romano Level 7

donaldc

Add On...If you have any questions about the questions or need clarification on my prior comments, please do not hesitate to ask. Once we get the basic

information, there are features in the program which we might apply to interlaced source video. Did you say what the destination is for your Timeline content -

export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disk?

ATR

• 4. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the offer of help.

• I'm on premiere elements 13. The iMac is on OS X Mavericks. The Pansonic is set at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 or 25 interlaced frames per second.
                • I have not got as far as exporting edited products anywhere. I am simply trying to import and organise material on the iMac at the moment, prior to editing.
                • I have AVCH clips back to 2008 on the iMac that play fine. They were imported via Aunsoft and are all H264, with mixture of Mts and Mov. It's the more recent imports that have been going wrong for some reason. The AVCHD clips on the camcorder at the moment are OK on the camera and when plugged directly from the camera into a Panasonic smart TV. But, no matter how I try to import them onto the iMac, I get interlacing problems when I view them prior to editing. It's the same in Quicktime, iMovie, Adobe and some other converters I have toyed with recently as alternatives to Aunsoft. All of these are up to date.
                • On the video conversion, I am "in flux". I had hoped that Adobe would do it all automatically "under the bonnet". I notice that Mavericks seems to make automatic changes anyway. If I try to store the AVCHD folders on the iMac without converting them, it converts them anyway...

I can check the other technical points tonight.

Donald

• 5. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks for the reply.

For the purposes of troubleshooting let us stay with the 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second source.

If you are allowing the program to set the project preset automatically based on the properties of your video first dragged to the Timeline, then

double check to determine what it has set. For that see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readouts for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out).

flicker.JPG

If that is what you see, then we move on to the edit area of the project.

There should be no colored line of the Timeline content of this 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second source.

When you play back this Timeline video in the Edit area monitor, where are you greatest "interlaced problems" - in scenes

with the greatest motion?

a. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Reverse Field Dominance. Do Timeline Rendering to

get the best possible preview of what you have? Any better?

b. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Always Deinterlace. Do Timeline Rendering. Any

better results?

c. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Flicker Removal. Do Timeline Rendering. Any better

results?

d. Select the video on the Timeline, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. Go to the bottom of the

Motion Panel expanded to find Anti-Flicker Filter slider. Set it to 1.0. Do Timeline Rendering. Any better results?

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                    whsprague Level 4

Donald,

ATR seems to think it may be project settings.  I've never had any problem with Panasonic AVCHD files, interlaced or progressive. 

Reading between the lines, I think your issue may your importing technique.  Apple was slow to adopt AVCHD file formats for use with iMovie  and it used to be that you had to somehow convert files.  I don't think you have to do that anymore for Apple software.  For Premier Elements, starting with about version 11 all forms of Panasonic AVCHD (.mts or .m2ts) worked fine.  If you are using Aunsoft or other conversion/copy programs you may be causing format variations that don't work.

I've had a Panasonic camera shooting the formats you are talking about.  If you use Premier Elements alone with those files you shouldn't be having trouble.

Can you describe how you are  getting the files from your camera to your computer, what your "interlacing problems" are and what you are viewing your clips with other than Premier Elements.

Good luck!

Bill

• 7. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Continuing from my post 5 where I went through some introductory troubleshooting to profile your interlace issue and possibly find a way to "fix" some of what you already have.....and I am still looking forward to your results from those suggestions.

However, I did want to make some comments about your general description of your situation

1. You wrote

The AVCHD clips on the camcorder at the moment are OK on the camera and when plugged directly from the camera into a Panasonic smart TV

If your camera is set to record interlaced video, then I would consider that result as "not surprising" since the Panasonic Smart TV would be expected to be doing a good job of deinterlacing the interlaced footage for viewing.

2. However, the next part is the challenge

But, no matter how I try to import them onto the iMac, I get interlacing problems when I view them prior to editing. It's the same in Quicktime, iMovie, Adobe and some other converters I have toyed with recently as alternatives to Aunsoft.

Can we interpret that to mean that use of Aunsoft as a video converter did not result in this type of issue? If so, please read on.

Not all interlaced footage would be expected to exhibit the same degree of interlacing issues from camera to camera - too many variable in the 2 fields that make up the frame and what is being recorded. So, one possibility is that you are shooting video with more action and lines than before. However, what I would like you to consider after you get through post 5 questions...

You seem to be saying interlaced problems unless you use Aunsoft as your converter. If that is correct, please read on.

Please take the Aunsoft generated file that is heading for Premiere Elements and run it through MediaInfo, a free video audio properties readout program.

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

and inspect its video properties in the tree view. What does it say for scan type? I am suspecting it will show Progressive which would explain why

the interlaced problems with programs that are looking at your non Aunsoft video as interlaced. Premiere Elements importing is not going to deinterlace your video. There are opportunities for that at the Timeline level of the program as I have eluded to in post 5 and also in the export choice.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                        donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I will work on this over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Donald

• 9. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                          donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks.

I've tried different ways of importing: via Aunsoft (which used to work fine but doesn't anymore), via iMovie (which now works without a converter, as you say, but with the interlacing problem), and most recently via Adobe. The Adobe result is the best but still has some of the ghost imaging on moving figures (eg, children running) that I am describing as an interlacing issue. I've also tried just dragging the files from the camcorder into a movies folder on the iMac but the iMac seems to convert them automatically and, when I then import to Adobe, the interlacing problem is still there.

Donald

• 10. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                            donaldc33563945 Level 1

PS

I should have answered your general question: no, it doesn't work with Aunsoft anymore either. That's why I started experimenting with other converters.

I wonder if the thing that has changed may be to do with Mavericks - but that's probably for another forum!!

Donald

• 11. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks the reply and clarifying the Aunsoft question that I had.

It will be interesting to learn of your results from your planned weekend work.

a. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Reverse Field Dominance. Do Timeline Rendering to

get the best possible preview of what you have? Any better?

b. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Always Deinterlace. Do Timeline Rendering. Any

better results?

c. Right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options and select only Flicker Removal. Do Timeline Rendering. Any better

results?

d. Select the video on the Timeline, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. Go to the bottom of the

Motion Panel expanded to find Anti-Flicker Filter slider. Set it to 1.0. Do Timeline Rendering. Any better results?

Also, in your experimenting with alternatives to Aunsoft, had you also look at methods to deinterlace your video before import into Premiere Elements?

Have you seen this HandBrake Decomb description

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Decomb

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks for considering the comments.

ATR

• 12. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

What I'm seeing is: editing mode HD 1080i; time base 29.97 fps; frame size 1920 x 1080; pixel AR square pixels (1.0); fields upper first; display format 30fps drop-frame time code.

I've tried the various suggestions you made in field options and applied effects but no improvement so far, I'm afraid!

Donald

• 13. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks for the update and exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

Two other approaches might be (have you tried the following)

1. HandBrake and the Decomb as mentioned previously

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Decomb

in order to import a deinterlaced video in the Premiere Elements 1080p project

(See Premiere Elements DSLR project preset)

2. Bring your 1080i footage into the Premiere Elements 1080i project as you have been.

And, then export it via Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then determine how the children running scene plays back in your player.

At the moment is this interlace issue that describe restricted to this one recording or is it

characteristic of all your recordings from your camera? And, is the interlace problem that

you are seeing restricted to the higher motion scenes?

If you could blur out just the faces to protect your privacy, could you post a screenshot (freeze frame)

from a scene with the children running where interlace issue is presenting?

ATR

• 14. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                    whsprague Level 4

Donald,

There is an article on Wikipedia about AVCHD that talks about interlaced and progressive video.  It may not help you get your interlaced clip fixed, but it may convince your to shoot progressive in the future. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Bill

• 15. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Continuing and adding on to my comments from my post 13....

I have some hopes for the import of the 1080i as is and export of it as 1080p, but...

Could you add another scenario to your approach to salvaging the footage that you have already recorded as interlaced?

In this scenario, set the project preset manually

to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

and then import your 1080i29.97 footage into that 1080p30@29.97 project.

To set the project preset manually, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset as mentioned above. OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog that appears, change the name of the project and make sure that you have a check mark

next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace, use the program's Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your 1080i into Project Assets

from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

If orange line over the Timeline content, then Timeline render to get the best possible preview. If no colored line over the 1080i

import, then just play back the file in the Edit area monitor and see what that looks like in the area of the running children.

This is a less likely scenario but should be ruled in or out if nothing else is helping to improve the situation.

ATR

• 16. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                        donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

it is only recent footage that is affected. The good news is that I still have much of it on the camcorder memory card. So rather than try to fix what I have already imported, are there ways I could import it afresh that might help? Maybe trying the same fixes you mentioned previously but applied to the fresh imports instead?

Donald

• 17. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks for the reply.

How have you been importing the 1080i into Premiere Elements

Camcorder Memory Card

1. Add Media/Files and Folders from computer save location of the files to Expert workspace Project Assets

or

2. Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer?

What have you done in the past (no problems) versus now (problems)?

We will be watching for your Premiere Elements and iMovie results when you have the time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 18. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                            donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have tried both methods of importing and it makes no difference. I have also imported the same clips from the camcorder and computer - no difference either!

My old clips from the same camcorder via Aunsoft are still OK.

I have tried rendering and saving with the settings you suggested and no success there either.

Could this be a Mavericks issue?

Donald

• 19. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks for the update. Still thinking about this.

By any chance are you scaling these videos after import into Premiere Elements Mac?

Or is the issue there even with no scaling or applied effects?

Please remind me, in the problem videos, is the problem just with the children running or do you see the

problem scattered through out the duration of the video and presenting at differing degrees?

Being a strictly Elements Windows user, I will need to do some homework on interlaced video on Mac to

see if there is anything unique about that situation.

ATR

• 20. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                donaldc33563945 Level 1

ATR,

No I'm not scaling and the problem is with movement: buildings etc are focused and stable but movement, especially fast movement, has ghost imaging. Some of the settings I have tried make it worse, with lines like an old tv, but none so far have made it better!

Donald

• 21. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Again in the spirit of never give up....

Do you have the VLC Player installed on your Mac computer?

If so, have you taken your source media into the VLC player and been able to get good playback?

My main interest in the VLC player is its Deinterlace/Deinterlace Mode options under its Video Menu at playback of the interlaced video.

Not only can you turn the Deinterlace feature on and off, but, when Deinterlace is on, the  Deinterlace Mode can be set for numerous

different Deinterlace methods

Blend

Mean

Bob

Linear

x

Yadif

Phosphor

Film NTSC (IVTC).

If would be interesting to determine if the VLC Player will play your interlaced file and which one of those Deinterlace methods would work

on your file.

ATR

• 22. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                    donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I've downloaded VLC. It will play the clips and there are quite different results for each of the settings. "x" seems to be the best, though it does not get rid of the problem entirely. Some progress though!

Donald

• 23. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Thanks for the update and for checking out the VLC player and its Deinterlace methods. I went looking to see if I could get more details on the "x" method, but

instead I found

What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies

But then I did find a description of the VLC Deinterlace Modes and x in the following

https://wiki.videolan.org/Deinterlacing

After thought....

Consider importing your 1080i using the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

Full HD 1080i30

I know that you looked at Field Options at the Timeline level, but this special category of project presets is supposed

to switch the field order automatically so no need for Field Options at Timeline level. Maybe same results as with others

at Timeline level, but worth a try.

The VLC x seems to leave the Upper field (odd) as is and in a complicated way work over the Lower field (even) to create

one frame based on the upper and lower fields. So, a lot more than switching field order appears to be needed, but...?

ATR

• 24. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                        donaldc33563945 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Do you happen to kow if Adobe and Mavericks interact when I am looking at video clips in Adobe? In other words, could the clips actually be perfectly alright but just appearing wrong on the iMac because of the way Mavericks is serving them up to Adobe (and everything else)?

Donald

• 25. Re: AVCHD interlacing problems
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Donald

Just wondering if you are having display problems with the computer monitor (native resolution or other) and/or the video card/graphics card?

Do you have contact with an Apple store to get input on those factors?

Do you have an associate with Premiere Elements (11, 12, or 13) Mac who could test your source video playback?

ATR