2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 2:16 AM by RoninEdits

Build advice for Aftereffects animation and 4K editing rig

charlielavoy1 Level 1

Well, I know this is a pretty loaded question, but I'm hoping some body out there might enjoy sinking their teeth into it.

It's finally time to do a new build. I knew I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger until I got the eternally helpful opinions of everyone here at Tom's Hardware.

I'm using this primarily for video editing in Premiere Pro and animations in After Effects, as well as a bunch of Photoshop and Illustrator work. One HUGE project that I'm still working on is on an external RAID array, that connects via eSata, which is what narrowed down my motherboard choice to the one I have here. How does this sound for a system around $2500 not including monitors and peripherals? Do you guys think this could handle editing 4K?

TO BUY:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x2 in a RAID 0 to speed up reading of video files)

Case: Thermaltake Core V51 ATX Mid Tower Case

RECYCLING FROM OLD MACHINE:

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Storage: 256 GB Samsung SSD

I'm also just curious if I should spring for a new, beefier video card, or if I should find a refurbished copy of the same one I already have and setup SLI.

And of course as always, the tremendous support and wisdom of this online community is hugely appreciated!

-C

• 1. Re: Build advice for Aftereffects animation and 4K editing rig
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Moved from the generic Cloud forum to the specific Hardware forum

Read all of the articles at Tweakers Page

• 2. Re: Build advice for Aftereffects animation and 4K editing rig
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the 5930k is hard to justify (price vs performance) over the 5820k unless you need the lanes...

the cooler master cooler is decent, but i would spend a little more for a better and quieter one. the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

for the case, if not overclocking i would go silent with fractal design define R5. (R4's still around if needing to save money)

the Thermaltake Core V51 is nice, but if going that way might consider the V71 for more storage bays and bigger fans.

asrock is ok, asus and gigabyte have best reputation.

dump the rosewill psu. last thing you want is garbage psu ruining your new computer.

psu something like these - corsair HX or AX series, seasonic X or SS series, XFX pro series, or thermaltake tough power series. 

750 watt or 1000+ watt if overclocking.

you will want a dedicated ssd for AE/PP scratch. so if the old SSD is for the os/apps you will want to get another, a samsung 850 pro or intel 730 480gb version. or can also look at m.2 ssd storage for the scratch, just check if the mbd you get supports it.

4k may not like the 2gb memory on the video card...  the way sli works, it wont add to the memory, just processing power.  you can try running your gtx 770 and see if it runs out of memory or just upgrade to a gtx 970 or 980.  if you are mostly in AE then might not matter, as AE really doesn't use the gpu. they are supposedly working on updating it so its a modern app like its competitors, but its going to be very hard as alot of AE is licensed software from other companies. so adobe is going to have to get those other companies to change/update their software too.