2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 7:10 PM by PhotoJohnWS

How do you move one (1) Photo Folder from one Catalog to another Catalog in Lightroom 5?

PhotoJohnWS Level 1

I want to move one (1) Photo Folder from one Catalog to another Catalog in Lightroom 5 and my laptop (no external hard drive involved).  I have already started the editing process in Catalog #1, but due to the size of the Catalog #1, I want to move the current job and future work to a new Catalog.   

Currently the backup feature takes an hour to complete. There are also significant delays during large image edits.    So I am thinking, that by moving over to a smaller Catalog, Lightroom will work faster. 

• 1. Re: How do you move one (1) Photo Folder from one Catalog to another Catalog in Lightroom 5?
          THG_BO Level 3

Hello,

open the target catalog. Select File>Import from an other catalog. Select your source catalog. Select the images you want to import.

As an alternative: Open your catalog. Select images to export. Choose File->Export as catalog. Open target catalog an import images as described above.

• 2. Re: How do you move one (1) Photo Folder from one Catalog to another Catalog in Lightroom 5?
            PhotoJohnWS Level 1

Hello ... and thanks for  your response.   But I have discovered a couple problems.  And I am sure it is "operator error"

I used your method #1.  The first window that popped up stated that it was making a temporary copy of the catalog.  This took about 20 minutes.

Next, the window showed thumbnail photos on the right and a list of folders in my catalog on the left. The catalog contains folders stored on my LapTop, as well as my external hard drive. 

There appeared to be a distinctive difference between those photo folders stored on the external hard drive and those on my LapTop.   The folders on the external drive were named as I have all my folders named: Date_CustomName.  The folders stored on my LapTop were named as: Lightroom_5 Backup_Date_CustomName or some such combination and my memory is foggy on the actual use of underscore, slash marks, dashes, etc. 

I searched the list closely, and the Folders without a reference to "Lightroom Backup" were not showing.  

So as a test, I "added" to the new Catalog one folder from the external hard drive and two from the LapTop.   After the transfer, the new Catalog had accurately named my external hard drive and the folder within in and the photos and their edits transferred accurately.   The other two folders were not named but listed shown in the library module as grey boxes as images with indications of editing.  But when I clicked on it, there was a notation that popped up that the file could not be found. 

Any ideas? 

I am going to create a second new catalog and try your option #2 now.  

Thanks