6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 1:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?

johnf11772014

If I have a completed project and go to "Share" I can create an AVI file specified as (Use for editing in Adobe Premiere Elements).  Is the quality of this file the same as the quality of a created DVD done through "Share" - Disc - Burn DVD?  Or another way of putting it - if I created an AVI file and then later burned that to disc would it be the same quality as burning the original project to disc?

• 1. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you create a DVD, your original file which uses "about" 12-13 Gig per hour of video is HIGHLY compressed to fit an hour of video on a 4.7 Gig DVD... so your original AVI file has ALL of the video information, while the VOB files on a DVD have one full video frame and then some number of "difference" frames with information that is used by the player to make it seem that you have a full video stream

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206 may help

• 2. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

johnf1772014

My perspective with regard to your question which is assumed to be related to some version of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 since you talk of Share and

not Publish+Share....

Or another way of putting it - if I created an AVI file and then later burned that to disc would it be the same quality as burning the original project to disc?

Whether or not it is detectable to the eye, the quality should be less. Whenever, video is subject to re-encoding it undergoes some level of degradation.

From what is written, the DV.AVI file probably undergoes less in this regard as compared to other formats. So....

a. Given you import your video which is encoded with X format, edit it, and you export (another encode) it to file saved to the computer hard drive and later burn that to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, then the video has gone from

original encode

to

DV AVI encode

to

DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc encode

with the DVD-VIDEO video file being MPEG2.vob.

I have read somewhere that the exception to a re-encode of a DV AVI file is associated with a workflow

that starts with MiniDV/DV AVI in DV project which is exported to DV AVI without edit. I have not confirmed that.

Have you made the actual comparison between

Timeline content to DV AVI file and then later burn to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

versus

Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (with its video file as MPEG2.vob)?

ATR

• 3. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
              johnf11772014 Level 1

Thanks

Sorry I did not include that I am using a PC (Windows 7) with Adobe Premiere Elements 10.  What I am trying to do is this - I have made a couple of dozen short (2-5 minute) videos (grandkids playing - etc.) and have made separate DVDs for each of them.  For one child, I made a "Collection" - a single DVD with several of the videos - each video being a scene.  DVD menu - I put "Family Movies" and then put each video as a scene so they could select a single video or just - Play All.  I am looking for the best way to save all  the videos and still maintain the capability of creating a "Collection" of videos - either of new ones or adding other ones.  I could save each finished video as an avi file and then collect them together.  That is why I was asking about loss of quality if I saved each as an avi file - and then put them back together.

• 4. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

johnf

Thanks for the further information on your situation.

Although there may be differences in quality, I doubt that you will see any differences in quality between your Timeline content taken to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc from the Timeline versus the burn to of a collection of DV AVI.

In fact, the case of the DV AVI intermediary, it is the classical way of working with a large project in smaller segments. But, I would do the mini test run before the final project to confirm that is the case. From what you wrote, you have been there and done that. What is the quality of the videos that you have produced in this manner? If good, you are on the right path.

If you wanted a higher resolution product, such as, AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, you could burn to or consider as the intermediary file a file like AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second). If you went the AVCHD DVD way, you can produce that with a regular DVD burner, but it needs a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multimedia players that supports AVCHD DVD. The Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc requires a Blu-ray burner and player.

Depending on the players and its specifications, some create the HD file and put it on a memory card or USB Flash Drive for use in players other than the DVD player.

Great projects which will be enjoyed by all.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
                  johnf11772014 Level 1

Thanks for your help - I wanted to make sure I was not regressing any of the work I had done.  Additionally, as back up to the DVDs created, I was either going to create an ISO file or just an AVI file to store on an external hard drive. I may do both as the disc image would allow me to burn a copy of the DVD with menus, and saving the AVI will allow me to combine projects into one DVD.  Thanks again for your answer and quick response. 

• 6. Re: Are AVI files created from project the same quality as DVD burned from project?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

johnf

Thanks for the reply.

Sounding very good. Any questions on taking the iso file from burn to: ISO Image or the VIDEO_TS Folder from burn to: Folder (4.7 GB) to DVD disc with ImgBurn, please do not hesitate to ask. Just be careful in your download and installation choices for ImgBurn since it has a tendency to come with unwanted baggage.

Best wishes.

ATR