7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 4:26 PM by Kevin-Monahan

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14

Frank VA

Very disappointed with this choice. I will definitely be seeking to uninstall this version and go back a version or two. Two many extra steps to export an mp4 now. And now we also have to wait longer for a mp4 to render and can't take advantage of the machine's hardware? You guys fighting mp4 as a standard, forcing us to an additional product, or what? I'll be sharing my extreme disappoint with this 'upgrade' with the rest of the developers at work and who just had it installed. I'm not seeing this being too popular opn social media either. Seems like you only did what was best for you.Thanks for showing us who's boss.

• 1. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Never mind that AME is much faster and BETTER than AE at making these highly-compressed files, right?

Never mind that AE steps on a certain tender spot of the male anatomy wearing golf shoes when you try to use it for this, right?

Never mind that in order to efficently do the job you render lossless from AE to create the archival file, then use AME to create the files for delivery ALL AT THE SAME TIME while you're doing something different with your machine, right?

Hey, look -- I am no apologist for Adobe.  I find its current software rental model both revolting and elitist.  I BUY my software... I don't rent it.

But when it comes to the effective use of Adobe Media Encoder, it seems to me that you'd have trouble finding your posterior in the dark using both hands, y'know?

• 2. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
            Frank VA Level 1

I guess you're the expert, evangelist,. and frequent user.,. but I like my workflows to benefit me. Why couldn't the functionality  have been left where it was - because it was too much work (?) OK, good for them. Sounds like you like it too. The effective use of a 'product' that should be just a 'feature' of other products is disruptive and not my idea of effective, but what do I know?

• 3. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frank VA wrote:

And now we also have to wait longer for a mp4 to render and can't take advantage of the machine's hardware?

Not necessarily. You can render an intermediate codec with AE's render queue (thus using all of AE's power to render) and then drop that file into the Adobe Media Encoder.

This was the workflow I've always used - even when AE could encode with MP4. Why? Well, because AE sucked at MP4 encoding. You couldn't even do multipass endoding with it!

This is a useful workflow in a few ways:

1. You have an archive-quality file to come back to in the future.

2. You can use AE's full power to render.

3. You can use AME's superior encoding capabilities.

4. You can tweak your compression settings and try various encoding parameters to improve the quality while decreasing the bitrate of your product WITHOUT having to re-render the AE comp every time you try since you're working off of the intermediate file. I mean, imagine a comp with several 3d layers, depth of field, shadows from multiple lights, and 250,000 particles from Particular. What if you made an MP4 and then the client needed a smaller file size or the MP4 you made was too heavily compressed and you needed higher quality? I don't know about you, but I'd much rather only render that 18-hour monster once.

This workflow actually saves time for many people.

And, in any workflow, this produces a better product.

Again, this is what I did even when AE could encode MP4's.

Frank VA wrote:

You guys fighting mp4 as a standard, forcing us to an additional product, or what?

They aren't fighting MP4 as a standard, in fact, when Adobe folks pop in here and answer questions, that's often their recommendation for delivery codec.

Frank VA wrote:

Seems like you only did what was best for you. Thanks for showing us who's boss.

Listen, I understand your frustration. Knocking out a quick compressed file from AE for client review is handy.

However, maintaining the h.264 encoding in AE took up development time. There are only so many person-hours per week for the (relatively tiny) AE team to spend on building each version of AE.

I never liked AE's h.264 encoding - AME has always done a superior job. Since we have AME to do our encoding, I would rather the AE team focus their effort on improving AE as a compositing and motion graphics tool rather than as an encoding tool.

Again, I get the frustration. I can see where it feels like they are doing what's good for them and not us, but I think, in the long run, this way is better for us. Right now, the majority of the AE team is working on making AE faster to work with and faster to render. The sooner we get a relatively bug-free version of that, the better! (Especially for folks on Mac OSX Yosemite who can't RAM preview smoothly in any version of AE).

And at least the After Effects team has been very transparent about things - for example, this blog post talks about their reasoning: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

• 4. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh for crying out loud... quit whining, just get over it and get on with life.

Over the years, I've done my primary job -- video editing -- on five different pieces of software, each with a couple-three different versions, and each one demanded a different workflow.  You want disruptive?  That's disruptive, particularly when you're on a deadline.  You deal with it.

And you're crabbing about having to make one little change in the way you work?  Lord knows how you'd react if you found yellow potatoes instead of red potatoes in your beef stew.  Suffice it to say, I wouldn't want to be around.

Did I happen to mention that you can set up a Watch Folder in AME, and when a file is placed in it -- say, after AE finishes a lossless archival render -- AME automatically begins to transcode to as many different files as you specify, and to the media containers and codecs as you specify?  All while you're on to doing other things with your machine?

Yeah, that's real crippling change in workflow.  I feel your pain.  Not.

• 5. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
                  Frank VA Level 1

Thanks for the feedback..  I ran a couple of things through it. It's "OK", I guess   And yea, maybe I don't like yellow potatoes in my stew.

And I'm hoping your comments, Mr LaRonde, aren't as mean-spirited as they sound. Though this type of behavior is probably rewarded at that beckon of ethics called FOX, that you work for, most other folk don't take kindly to cyber-bullying. Evidently Adobe doesn't seem to mind, and might have even incentivized you to be like that (silence equals consent). I wonder how it'll play out on Twitter; big corporate 'Producer' type belittling and mocking the little guy on social media, with a nice pic to go with it.. hmmmm.

I'm not like that though, but I'm just saying. Maybe consider less vinegar and a little more sugar in your mixed potato stew

• 6. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think he meant to sound mean-spirited. He's just been around for a while and gets a bit grumpy sometimes. Sometimes the best advice comes from the grouchy ones; you just have to look past the gruffness. At least, that's what most movies seem to indicate

And, while we're discussing it, one of my favorite potato recipes is cutting up a mix of mini red, yellow, and purple (yes, purple) potatoes tossed in some olive oil and various mixed spices (rosemary being the primary one) and roasting them in the oven at 425-450 for about 20 minutes. They come out with a crispy outside and an almost creamy inside

• 7. Re: using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects - 6/23/14
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Frank,

most other folk don't take kindly to cyber-bullying. Evidently Adobe doesn't seem to mind, and might have even incentivized you to be like that (silence equals consent).

No one deserves to be ill treated as a member of this forum. For that, I apologize. We do have community guidelines we ask all members to abide by, but sometimes people slip up and forget (even some of our most helpful members).

I wish to remind Dave and others to please take a look at the guidelines to reacquaint yourself with them: Adobe Community Guidelines

Thanks,

Kevin