11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 1:32 PM by A.T. Romano

How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?

john_steeler

It seems a though I can only create a 15 minute long video in Premiere Elements 11.  Is there a way to create a longer video?  I have many clips and the total time is about 40 minutes.

• 1. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

john_steeler

What computer operating system?

Are you referring to upload to YouTube or exporting any file with a duration of greater than 15 minutes?

Please clarify.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
            john_steeler Level 1

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I would like to assemble various video clips that were taken with a digital camera so that I can burn them to a DVD movie.

I don’t need to send it to YouTube.

Thank you for responding.

• 3. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

john_steeler

Thanks for the reply. Lots of information to gather in view of your follow up details.

At first I thought that you might be referring to uploading to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in feature - that has a 15 min limit. But

from what you wrote, that is not the case.

What exactly is stopping you from using a greater Timeline content beyond 15 minutes.

a. does the program crash when you have content on the Timeline content beyond 15 minutes

b. does the burn to disc fail when the Timeline content involved exceeds 15 minutes

c. other, please explain

What are the properties of what you have on the Timeline for the burn to? The brand/model/settings of the camera

that recorded the video might give us the information that we need on this part.

What is a description of your computer resources - processor, clock speeds, installed RAM, free hard drive space?

Anything else you could add to explain your situation would be appreciated. We are eager for you to move forward

in your project(s) to attain your video goals.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                john_steeler Level 1

ATR,

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix P5100.  It is set to the movie mode and takes .avi video clips.

The computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 (Intel Quad-Core i7 – 2.66Ghz), 12GB memory, 1TB hard drive (Raid) with 430GB free, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti video card.

I’m not sure what you mean by the properties of the time line.  It contains a series of .avi clips – no photos.  The longest clip is around 3 minutes with a total time of 40 minutes for all clips.

Here’s my procedure:

Run Premiere Elements 11

Click “Video Editor”

Select “Existing Project”   -  Test.prel

Click “Instant Movie”

Select “Prime Time” movie theme

On the “Personalize Movie” dialog box, the Duration is set to: Maximum Duration (15 min 00 sec)

If I select the “Specify Duration” radio button and enter a value larger than 15 minutes, it resorts back to 15 min 00 sec

Click “Yes” for the recommended rendering

When I play the theme, the timeline plays for 15 minutes, then stops.

The program does not crash.  I did not attempt to burn a DVD since it appears that I will not get more than 15 minutes.

Could it be that the “Instant Movie” option has a 15 minute limitation?

After I wrote the above, I attempted to create a DVD without using “Instant Movie” and was able to build a 40 minute timeline and create a DVD, (on disk to the VIDEO_TS folder), with all the video clips.  I then burned the files in the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD.  The DVD does play on the PC but is not recognized by a Panasonic Blu-Ray player.

Maybe I’m just trying to ‘jump ahead’ too fast without spending more time learning the finer points of the software.

Regards,

John

• 5. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

john

You seem to have hit to the core of your 15 minutes only video.

Could it be that the “Instant Movie” option has a 15 minute limitation?

You had not mentioned Instant Movie involvement before. I saw only destination burn to DVD.

If you have not already, please refer to Duration category expanded in the Personalize Movie dialog.

InstantMovie.JPG

I would need to think some more about the possibility of creating 3 Instant Movies, each one at a time, and

getting them together into one final project for burn to (all that if you want the advantage of built in effects).

If you want to explore (leaving out the Instant Movie) reproducing some of the best effects of the Instant Movie on

your own, please consider

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2015/02/pe-some-instant-movie-effects-explained.html

if you are ready for that type of detail and trying to reproduce it.

Please review and consider. I will try the 3 Instant Movies approach if you want me to.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                    john_steeler Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the links.

I will review them and get back to you with results/questions.

I appreciate your time trying to help me with this process.

As an aside, the reason that I am doing this project is because I have a very sick relative that I want to cheer up.

That’s why I’m trying to get it done asap.

Thanks again.

John

• 7. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks for the reply.

I have thought about how to get the Premiere Elements Instant Movie to produce what would appear to be a more than 15 minutes end product with

and without some maneuvers of the Timeline features.

So far...

1. In principle, divide your 40 minutes of source media into about 3 parts...each part with consecutively placed source file.

2. Bring the ordered Part 1 sources from Project Assets, to the Timeline, apply Instant Movie after you have selected your theme and set up the Personalize Movie dialog.

3. Clear the completed Part 1 Instant Movie file (not folder) from the Timeline and rename its thumbnail in Project Assets to read Part 1.

4. Bring the ordered Part 2 sources from Project Assets to the Timeline, apply Instant Movie after you have selected your theme and set up the Personalize Movie dialog.

5. Clear the completed Part 2 Instant Movie file (not folder) from the Timeline and rename its thumbnails in the Project Assets to read Part 2.

6. Repeat 4 and 5 for ordered Part 3.

7. Then look to Projects Assets and drag the thumbnails named Part 1, 2, and 3 to the Timeline to export consistent with your project's project settings.

Clean ups....note that, with defaults, you will have a title at the beginning and end of each Instant Movie.

Focus points....Part 1, beginning title OK, but do not want closing title yet.

Part 2, no beginning and ending titles wanted.

Part 3, no beginning title wanted but closing title wanted.

Part 2 can be taken care of in Personalize Movie/Theme Content by removing check mark next to Title.

Part 1 and 2....use Premiere Elements command "Break Apart Instant Movie" and remove the unwanted titles

or use the scissors tool on the intact Instant Movie.

As indicated evaluate the transitioning between Parts 1, 2, and 3.

Please review and consider.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                        john_steeler Level 1

ATR,

Thank you very much for the effort that you have put into answering my question.

I will perform the steps that you have outlined and will let you know the results.

Have a great day,

John

• 9. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks for the reply.

Because you need resolution as soon as possible, I will keep watch for your progress daily.

If I lose track of your thread and you do not see a reply to one of your posts within a day, please contact me by

Adobe Forums private message to ask "Where am I?"

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                            john_steeler Level 1

ATR,

By following your instructions, I was able to create an instant movie longer than 15 minutes.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,

John

• 11. Re: How to create a Video longer than 15 minutes?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Wonderful news about the success of your Instant Movie project. Great job.

Hope that the video with the care and love that went into it was the prescription for making your sick relative feel better and get better.

Best wishes to you and family

ATR