5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 3:48 PM by GPMGPTV

After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback

GPMGPTV

Hello,

I've recently upgraded from After Effects 5.5 to CC. I've found CC to be very sluggish in many ways, from using the interface itself, to scrolling down my layers using the mouse wheel, to not being able to get realtime playback once I spacebar preview a bit of my timeline.

None of these things were or are issues with After Effects 5.5 which I still have installed thankfully. 

My main question is about space bar previewing (foreground memory) bits of your timeline in CC. (Not ram preview)

In After Effects 5.5, it didn't matter how complex my project was, if I hit spacebar to preview it would slowly preview and load, you could see the green render line building, as soon as I was happy I could scrub the rendered green area and if I hit spacebar at any point in the rendered area, After Effects would playback realtime.

This is very important to me because when dealing with little intricate key framing it's nice to be able to playback a given spot within the rendered green area and get realtime playback instantly.

This is impossible to do in CC, it doesn't matter if I spacebar preview or RAM preview an area. When I scrub the green rendered area and hit spacebar to get realtime playback it will never manage to playback at full framerate. The only way to do this is to RAM preview but that defeats the purpose because you have to keep adjusting the work area bar, and it's just not the same as spacebar previewing which gives you more freedom and you don't have to wait for the RAM preview to kick in.

Is their any work around for this? and is their any plans to fixing the general sluggishness of After Effects CC?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Jakub

I'm running

Mac Pro

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Ceon

32GB DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

• 1. Re: After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of CC are you running? 13.2.0.49? 12.2.1.5?

GPMGPTV wrote:

The only way to do this is to RAM preview but that defeats the purpose because you have to keep adjusting the work area bar, and it's just not the same as spacebar previewing which gives you more freedom and you don't have to wait for the RAM preview to kick in.

Not necessarily, go to the preview panel and you can set your RAM preview to start at current time and it ignores the work area.

In the current version of AE (and all previous versions, now that I think of it), I've never used the spacebar to preview anything. I've always used the RAM preview and I usually have it start from the CTI and not the work area.

Now, something to look forward to is that the Adobe AE team have announced that a majority of their team are working on rewriting the core of AE so that things like interactivity, previewing, and rendering will be faster. The current version is some pretty old, patched code; I'm sure we're all looking forward to the newness!

• 2. Re: After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback
            GPMGPTV Level 1

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

I'm using CC version 13.2.0.49

While having the option to RAM preview from the current time is good, it still doesn't allow you to freely scrub through the rendered area and have realtime playback via spacebar like you could in 5.5. I know it doesn't sound like much, but again when fine tweaking fine details in a shot it's a really nice feature because once you hit stop then the scrub curser stays exactly at that point rather then reverting to the beginning of the render as when you use the RAM preview, and you also don't have that second delay when loading ram preview.

I really hope that the big core overhaul will fix this along with the general UE interaction as it's really slow and sluggish compared to 5.5. For now I"m going to revert back to 5.5 until a big core overhaul is released for CC.

If their's any tricks to change this with the current version I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Jakub

• 3. Re: After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On Mountain Lion, CC 2014 should be pretty smooth. I don't know why it's behaving so badly for you. What are your memory and multiprocessing settings? What is your cache set to? (AE works completely differently with its cache in CC 2014 vs. how it worked in CS5.5).

Do you have your composition set to ray-tracing renderer instead of standard renderer by accident?

• 4. Re: After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback
                coolbaboon

I concur with GPMGTV. It is an absolute pain to use RAM preview instead of the spacebar. It slows down the editing process and forces me to work in a less intuitive manner.

If After Effects can tackle this problem or if there is a new workaround that would be super helpful. Any updates here?

• 5. Re: After Effects CC sluggish "Fast Preview" playback
                  GPMGPTV Level 1

Hey Szalam,

I'm on Mountain Lion, the sluggish interaction occurs with or without multiprocessing enabled, my cache is set to 100GB, my composition's are always set to standard classic renderer. Again I also have CS5.5 installed simultaneously and it runs lightning fast in comparison just with default settings. But to be clear, this is not a complaint about actual rendering to file but of not having realtime spacebar preview and the general sluggishness of the UI interaction.

The benefit of realtime spacebar preview is you can preview yourself a little section of timeline and work within that area in almost realtime. If you make a small keyframe adjustment then the green preview line only breaks in that tiny section and it only takes half a second to spacebar render it again, then once you hit stop, the scrub line stay exactly at that frame.

Not having it playback in realtime really does slowdown the process and as Coolbaboon said, it forces you to work in a less intuitive manner.

Again if theirs any current workaround I'm all ears. In the meantime I hope this will be fixed as part of the big overhaul hopefully coming soon. Realtime spacebar preview and a way more responsive UI, like 5.5 had.