4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2007 7:44 AM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks will not open local files

pjhaction Level 1
      I use a Web Page to have students navigate to either web sites or local (c: drive) files for their classes. I cannot get Fireworks to open the local files, but I can create hyperlinks in Dreamweaver and they work fine. I am trying to create a popup menu!

Hyperlink in Dreamweaver = file:///C|/mts/course/index_mts.html

Placed in Fireworks popup menu, will not open the file.

Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Fireworks will not open local files
          Level 1
          Please note that Fireworks is an image/web graphic editing application, while Dreamweaver is a HTML authoring application.

Fireworks cannot open HTML files, only Dreamweaver can open html files. Fireworks only exports simple HTML-generated for certain simple, basic pop-up menus. But it is not recommended, though. Best if you create menus in HTML/CSS around Dreamweaver than Fireworks.

quote:

Originally posted by: pjhaction
          I use a Web Page to have students navigate to either web sites or local (c: drive) files for their classes. I cannot get Fireworks to open the local files, but I can create hyperlinks in Dreamweaver and they work fine. I am trying to create a popup menu!

Hyperlink in Dreamweaver = file:///C|/mts/course/index_mts.html

Placed in Fireworks popup menu, will not open the file.

Any thoughts?

• 2. Re: Fireworks will not open local files
            Level 7
            pjhaction wrote:
            > I use a Web Page to have students navigate to either web sites or local (c:
            > drive) files for their classes. I cannot get Fireworks to open the local
            > files, but I can create hyperlinks in Dreamweaver and they work fine. I am
            > trying to create a popup menu!
            >
            > Hyperlink in Dreamweaver = file:///C|/mts/course/index_mts.html
            >
            > Placed in Fireworks popup menu, will not open the file.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >

It appears you are not working within a defined site, as the hyperlink
            is pointing to your own hard drive.

--
            Bonnie
            • 3. Re: Fireworks will not open local files
              Level 1
              Bonnie,

I believe the OP is aware of the local drive is being used for class. So I don't think it is a problem at all. But it could be the possible problem. I can't see how, though.
              • 4. Re: Fireworks will not open local files
                Level 7
                Deaf Web Designer wrote:
                > Bonnie,
                >
                > I believe the OP is aware of the local drive is being used for class. So I don't think it is a problem at all. But it could be the possible problem. I can't see how, though.
                But I believe the link should not look like that *even* if one is
                previewing locally. Must get ready to leave for the office in a moment
                so don't have time to open DW and check; I could be wrong.

--
                Bonnie