7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2007 12:28 PM by Newsgroup_User

Remove/Replace Templates from document

GreenJelly
      I inherited a site that uses templates. I being a developer have been utterly disgusted by templates.

With that said, I am stuck with this site that has multiple templates with the exact same data, and the template links to the documents don't always update the entire site.

I followed these instructions yet am still having problems. I also want to remove the duplicate templates, and use a single template for all of the website.

I would love to be able to remove a current template from a web page, and then apply the current single template to the all of the pages. I also would like the few templates that I have to actually update the sites templates.

I am using a connection that automatically updates the website when I save the document.

I am using multiple copies of Dream weaver at two locations (home/work) to work on the website

I am using the current version of dreamweaver at home and Dreamweaver MX at work.

This is not the first time I have encountered the issue.
        • 1. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
          Level 7
          >I inherited a site that uses templates. I being a developer have been
          >utterly
          > disgusted by templates.

Why? I being a developer find them extremely useful.

> I am using a connection that automatically updates the website when I save
          > the
          > document.

Why? I find that an extremely dangerous thing to do. I don't know any
          serious developers who do it.

So, let's start at the beginning:
          How many templates are there?
          How many pages does the site contain?
          Are all the templates being used on pages in the site?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"GreenJelly" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f6b16g$f0v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I inherited a site that uses templates. I being a developer have been
          >utterly
          > disgusted by templates.
          >
          > With that said, I am stuck with this site that has multiple templates with
          > the
          > exact same data, and the template links to the documents don't always
          > update
          > the entire site.
          >
          > I followed these instructions yet am still having problems. I also want
          > to
          > remove the duplicate templates, and use a single template for all of the
          > website.
          >
          > I would love to be able to remove a current template from a web page, and
          > then
          > apply the current single template to the all of the pages. I also would
          > like
          > the few templates that I have to actually update the sites templates.
          >
          > I am using a connection that automatically updates the website when I save
          > the
          > document.
          >
          > I am using multiple copies of Dream weaver at two locations (home/work) to
          > work on the website
          >
          > I am using the current version of dreamweaver at home and Dreamweaver MX
          > at
          > work.
          >
          > This is not the first time I have encountered the issue.
          >

• 2. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
            GreenJelly Level 1
            I appreciate your response.

You mention you are a developer. I am a systems designer. My purpose is to provide the consumer, in this case a not for profit company, a solution that they may have a chance to update on their own. Templates are very cool, and dreamweaver with a properly formed style sheet does take away much of the idiot factor. However I am not comfortable using a system like this if the site continues to grow beyond the point it is now.

I am suppose to have 2 templates (1 spanish, 1 english). The individual before me refused to listen to the requirements of the position and failed to provide a NON-FLASH version of the website. Therefor he created 3 templates (english flash, english nonflash, spanish flash). He never created a non-flash spanish template). In addition he has English.dwt, and a Template_english.swt, which both look the same.

We don't need or want flash, since our "customers" are low income individuals who may be using out of date library computers that don't have flash. We have people in the office that wont install flash, and these people are professionals. I was also confronted with the issue of non-conformity between the non-flash and flash website. I am sure this could be fixed within dream weaver, but as stated above, the flash section was out of line and shouldn't of been developed.

Therefor I have removed the flash site by simply making the flash site into non-flash. This seemed to update the entire site rather nicely. However I can not reproduce the results. I have a hyper link that is linked to a asp contact us page, which was re-written in php. The Hyperlink in the template has been changed, however no web pages I can find have the updated hyper link.

So... I have to remove the Template_English.swt, and instead use English.swt!

I also have to have the English.swt update the web pages that use the English.swt webpages.

Lastly to answer your question as to WHY I would goto a database/content management/XML solution is A) version control, B) ensure that if the English Site is changed, then the Spanish site also will be changed, or flagged to be changed.C) Removal the requirement for the users to worry about or use any HTML editors.

First things first... I would like to understand WHY the template doesn't update, and how to fix it, so that I may correct the issue, quickly, and finalize the static website. Also to create a spanish template, and to get people and code updated to this version.

After that I can think about moving to postNuke (a project I highly respect and have contributed quite a bit to the development of).

Thanks
            GreenJelly

• 3. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
              Level 7
              > I am a systems designer.

I was confused by your previous statement -

"I being a developer have been utterly disgusted by templates..."

> In addition he has English.dwt, and a Template_english.swt,
              > which both look the same.

Are both used in the site? When you do a sitewide search for each of those
              filenames, do you find pages that are linked to them?

> Lastly to answer your question as to WHY I would goto a database/content
              > management/XML solution is A) version control, B) ensure that if the
              > English
              > Site is changed, then the Spanish site also will be changed, or flagged to
              > be
              > changed.C) Removal the requirement for the users to worry about or use any
              > HTML
              > editors.

Hmm - I didn't ask this question. Sorry.

As for the rest of your explanation, I really couldn't follow what you are
              saying.

So - let's just stick with my question above, first, OK?

> First things first... I would like to understand WHY the template doesn't
              > update, and how to fix it, so that I may correct the issue, quickly, and
              > finalize the static website

I'm trying to get us to this point.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:f6b4kv$j1t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I appreciate your response.
              >
              > You mention you are a developer. I am a systems designer. My purpose is
              > to
              > provide the consumer, in this case a not for profit company, a solution
              > that
              > they may have a chance to update on their own. Templates are very cool,
              > and
              > dreamweaver with a properly formed style sheet does take away much of the
              > idiot
              > factor. However I am not comfortable using a system like this if the site
              > continues to grow beyond the point it is now.
              >
              > I am suppose to have 2 templates (1 spanish, 1 english). The individual
              > before me refused to listen to the requirements of the position and failed
              > to
              > provide a NON-FLASH version of the website. Therefor he created 3
              > templates
              > (english flash, english nonflash, spanish flash). He never created a
              > non-flash
              > spanish template). In addition he has English.dwt, and a
              > Template_english.swt,
              > which both look the same.
              >
              > We don't need or want flash, since our "customers" are low income
              > individuals
              > who may be using out of date library computers that don't have flash. We
              > have
              > people in the office that wont install flash, and these people are
              > professionals. I was also confronted with the issue of non-conformity
              > between
              > the non-flash and flash website. I am sure this could be fixed within
              > dream
              > weaver, but as stated above, the flash section was out of line and
              > shouldn't of
              > been developed.
              >
              > Therefor I have removed the flash site by simply making the flash site
              > into
              > non-flash. This seemed to update the entire site rather nicely. However
              > I can
              > not reproduce the results. I have a hyper link that is linked to a asp
              > contact
              > us page, which was re-written in php. The Hyperlink in the template has
              > been
              > changed, however no web pages I can find have the updated hyper link.
              >
              > So... I have to remove the Template_English.swt, and instead use
              > English.swt!
              >
              > I also have to have the English.swt update the web pages that use the
              > English.swt webpages.
              >
              > Lastly to answer your question as to WHY I would goto a database/content
              > management/XML solution is A) version control, B) ensure that if the
              > English
              > Site is changed, then the Spanish site also will be changed, or flagged to
              > be
              > changed.C) Removal the requirement for the users to worry about or use any
              > HTML
              > editors.
              >
              > First things first... I would like to understand WHY the template doesn't
              > update, and how to fix it, so that I may correct the issue, quickly, and
              > finalize the static website. Also to create a spanish template, and to
              > get
              > people and code updated to this version.
              >
              > After that I can think about moving to postNuke (a project I highly
              > respect
              > and have contributed quite a bit to the development of).
              >
              > Thanks
              > GreenJelly
              >
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
                GreenJelly Level 1
                I have found that the template_english is used on the old website (now not used). Most of this is being cleaned up, so I really don't need this.

Every reference I have seen is pointing to the english.dwt

Editing the dwt, will update some pages but not all. My browser is set to refresh pages every time I visit them, and just to be sure I refresh anyways.
                • 5. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
                  Level 7
                  Now try - SITE | Advanced > Recreate Site Cache. Do all the expected pages
                  update? If not, then are you making changes to EDITABLE region content in
                  the template, and expecting that to update? If not, then we may need to
                  delete the site definition altogether, and redefine the site in DW - don't
                  worry, this won't remove any of the site's files, but it will mean that you
                  have to set up your remote connection and your testing server connection
                  again.

And by the way, doing an automatic PUT on save is a very dangerous thing to
                  do, in case you missed this in my first post.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:f6b9hm$ou3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I have found that the template_english is used on the old website (now not
                  > used). Most of this is being cleaned up, so I really don't need this.
                  >
                  > Every reference I have seen is pointing to the english.dwt
                  >
                  > Editing the dwt, will update some pages but not all. My browser is set to
                  > refresh pages every time I visit them, and just to be sure I refresh
                  > anyways.
                  >

• 6. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
                    GreenJelly Level 1
                    I have done the Recreate site cache... it doesn't work...

I have removed some editable region out of necessity. The only way I have seen a fix is with my personal copy of the latest version Dreamweaaver MX is to go to each page and change the page to fit the new format. Unfortunately my trial is over, though my copy should be arriving any day now.

The problem I have with Dreamweaver templates is the inflexibility it offers oncee you apply a template. For me to have to go to every page in the site because I modified the template is insaine.

Anyways, I have tried setting the removed sections to "Nothing" when updating, and it actually does NOTHING! Including not updateing the template on that page
                    • 7. Re: Remove/Replace Templates from document
                      Level 7
                      > The problem I have with Dreamweaver templates is the inflexibility it
                      > offers
                      > oncee you apply a template. For me to have to go to every page in the
                      > site
                      > because I modified the template is insaine.

If the template is right, and the site is right, I have never seen this
                      template process fail. Never. And I've been using them for a long time.
                      Your symptoms suggest something more systemic is the problem.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:f6gp9h$iqj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I have done the Recreate site cache... it doesn't work...
                      >
                      > I have removed some editable region out of necessity. The only way I have
                      > seen a fix is with my personal copy of the latest version Dreamweaaver MX
                      > is to
                      > go to each page and change the page to fit the new format. Unfortunately
                      > my
                      > trial is over, though my copy should be arriving any day now.
                      >
                      > The problem I have with Dreamweaver templates is the inflexibility it
                      > offers
                      > oncee you apply a template. For me to have to go to every page in the
                      > site
                      > because I modified the template is insaine.
                      >
                      > Anyways, I have tried setting the removed sections to "Nothing" when
                      > updating,
                      > and it actually does NOTHING! Including not updateing the template on
                      > that page
                      >