12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 8:54 AM by EPUB1

Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign

EPUB1

Hello,

We are having trouble using  Sinhala Unicode Font with Indesign. We require this to covert content to the EPUB format.

Siyabas - how to install Sinhala Unicode

Do you know if there is a  Plug-in for the Sinhala Unicode Font? Or is there someone in the community working on it?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hopefully Joel Cherney, our resident expert on complex scripts, will see this and join in, but can we get some clarification of the problem you are having?

I installed the Kaputa Unicode font from Kaputa Sinhala Unicode Resources Center on my Windows computer and it shows up in InDesign as a TrueType font listed among the western language fonts rather than with the other Indic fonts at the bottom of the list, but I can use it to set Sinhala glyphs if I use the Glyphs panel, so it is working.

I suspect if you have a Sinhala keyboard input method installed on your system you could just type. I'm not certain, but it looks to me like your link points to an installable keyboard input method.

• 2. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
            Ellis home Level 4

You mentioned you want to convert to EPUB format: reflowable or fixed layout? What fonts have you tried and what is the problem? In Windows you have an open type font you can try: Iskoola Pota.

• 3. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
              EPUB1 Level 1

Hi, Thanks for your post. You are correct, we are using a traditional Sinhala keyboard input method. We cannot get this input to be recognized by Adobe Indesign to convert to an Epub format. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

• 4. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                EPUB1 Level 1

Hi, Thanks for your post. We want to convert to reflow able text, which can include illustrations (For Example - Children's Books).

We tried FM Abbhaya Font as it is easy to read and using a traditional Sinhala keyboard input method.

For Some reason we cannot get this input to be recognized by Adobe Indesign, to convert to an Epub format.

We tried the open font on Windows, but it means selecting each character from a table. As a small publisher it is not practical.

In fact the ideal path for us will be to convert our printed books to Epubs using OCR.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your time.

• 5. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                  Ellis home Level 4

I found this font: mooniak/nidahas-fm-abhaya · GitHub. Is that the one you are using? I did a quick test and it shows Ok on Adobe Digital Editions reader.

• 6. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

we are using a traditional Sinhala keyboard input method. We cannot get this input to be recognized by Adobe Indesign to convert to an Epub format.

I would assume that the input method is a separate issue from whether or not a given font work in an epub. So am I correct in assuming that you can't get your preferred input method to work in InDesign? I suspect that it is an early-Unicode input method that relies on something like e.g. a hacked usp10.dll for Windows XP. If you have a well-formed Unicode font, your OS may well have an input method built-in that will work with your font already.

Oh, nevermind, you should probably be using the true-Unicode font that Ellis found, with your native Sinhala input method in your OS. That should get you to where you need to be. I can't tell which version of FM Abbhaya you are using, but I suspect it's an old one.

Can you tell us which version of the font you are using?

• 7. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                      EPUB1 Level 1

Thank you for the great tip. We tried it and it works.

• 8. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                        EPUB1 Level 1

Mr.Cherney thank you. You are correct, we could input the Unicode fonts through a keyboard however, it is not accurate (the characters are not in the exact order as it should be..For example in the word "bat" it comes out like bta"). However, once we covert the file Epub it corrects itself. We prefer to do all the editing in Adobe first rather than convert wait and see. We have been using an old version of Abbhaya, however, from the forum we now understand that we should be using Iskolapotha. Thanks again for the response on the forum and we will get back to you soon.

• 9. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign

There seem to be quite a few languages where keyboard/input method development is lagging. I don't know lots about Sinhala, but I know that in Khmer many users are avoiding Unicode fonts and standard input methods because it forces them to key things in an order that makes sense only to the linguists contributing to the Unicode spec.

I bet that there is some way to get some Sinhala font to key in correctly, display correctly, and convert to epub correctly. If you post samples, I am sure that I am not the only forum regular who could take a stab at it. I'm glad that Ellis provided a solution for you that works.

• 10. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                            EPUB1 Level 1

Hi thanks for the post. We did find a font with reference to a discussion we had with the Language Department of the Colombo University. The font is called Ad Bashitha. We can now type it directly into Indesign using the keyboard and could edit it as well. However, we still have a few issues as to the accuracy of the text. This automatically gets corrected once it is converted to an Epub. We then tried to open the Epub in your Adobe Digital Editions - E-reader, but again there was a corruption of the text where some of the letters were separated. However, we uploaded the same file on Mozilla Firefox and it worked fine. Any thoughts on this matter.

• 11. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign

I'd say that different environments and different applications have differing abilities to render the exact same keyed sequence.

Adobe Digital Editions is not mine, but Adobe's - I do not represent Adobe, I'm an end user like you - and I would not trust its complex-script rendering ability to tell me if a given epub was going to display correctly elsewhere. I am no epub expert, but I would test my epubs on a variety of devices.

• 12. Re: Using Sinhala Unicode Fonts with Indesign
                                EPUB1 Level 1

Hi, Mr.Cherney,

Thank you for your post dated March 21. I apologize for assuming that you represented Adobe. As mentioned before, we can now type Ad Bashitha font directly into Indesign using the keyboard and could edit it as well. However, we still have a few issues as to the accuracy of the text. This automatically gets corrected once it is converted to an epub. We are currently testing the epubs on several devices to see if it works as we too do not know how each reader and device renders complex-script like Sinhala.