4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 11:01 AM by a C student

I want to convert to PDF/A, how do I fix errors reported by Preflight?

paulg70326194

Hello,

We want to convert existing PDF (printed from various applications, not scanned) to PDF/A-format using the Preflight tool.

Some are converted, others not because Preflight found some errors.

The question is: how can we fix those errors?

Or is there a smarter tool available that fixes all these errors automaticallly?

Many thanks for all your tips&tricks.

Regards, Paul

• 1. Re: I want to convert to PDF/A, how do I fix errors reported by Preflight?
          olafdruemmer Level 2

Which version of Acrobat are you using? Acrobat XI has much improved fixing features than Acrobat X. Also, what are the errors Preflight is flagging when denying conversion to PDF/A? Which version are trying to convert to? If you are converting to PDF/A-1b, try PDF/A-2b instead. PDF/A-1 (being based on PDF 1.4) has some limitations that could be difficult to overcome if converting a PDF using newer version features. (PDF is currently at 1.7, whereas PDF 1.4 goes back to 2001 - i.e. a long time ago in a technology world).

Olaf

• 2. Re: I want to convert to PDF/A, how do I fix errors reported by Preflight?
            paulg70326194 Level 1

We are using X pro. I know version XI has more functionality but it will take at least 6 months before that version is available in our offices.

We are converting to PDF/A-1b as this is the recommended format by our legal department. Just tried 2b and 2u, these result in the same errors as 1b.

In my testdocument it complains about 2 things:

- CIDset in subset font is incomplete

- Font not embedded (MicrosoftSansSerif)

It concerns HR data that needs to be stored 30years or possibly even longer.

Is there a smarter way to achieve this?

Thanks, Paul

• 3. Re: I want to convert to PDF/A, how do I fix errors reported by Preflight?
              CtDave Level 5

You need to master content and create PDF in a manner that provides a PDF that is actually eligible for PDF/A.

Review the web for various short takes on what is required for PDF/A.

One good resource is the PDF Association.

The get the real nitty-gritty (& thus avoid false starts) purchase the ISO Standard for PDF/UA.

An example of proper "prep"  =>  create a PDF that has fonts and font sub-sets embedded.

This can be done with ease as you have Acrobat X.

When using PDFMaker configure such that the Distiller job option used embeds fonts.

Be we

• 4. Re: I want to convert to PDF/A, how do I fix errors reported by Preflight?
                a C student Level 3

You can also embed fonts using Acrobat Pro. Tools > Print Production > Preflight > "Embed fonts" under PDF fixups. Sorry, I have no idea how to fix "CIDset in subset font is incomplete". You might want to invest some time on the free evaluation of Axes PDF QuickFix and/or Callas Software pdfToolbox.

a 'C' Student