6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 10:36 AM by Pulfnick

How can I get audio and video in sync?

Pulfnick Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 13 with Windows 8.1 to edit old VCR tapes that I transfered onto my computer with WinTV.  Everything seemed to be working - until in the middle of editing the tape, the audio lags about 8 seconds behind the video.  I checked the original in my computer that I added to Premiere Elements and audio-video are in sync, but in the middle of editing, they are out of sync.  There's no way to trim part of the video without also trimming part of the now unsynced audio.  No way to slide the audio alone forward.   I tried deleting the unedited part of the original in Premiere Elements, and then adding the entire original back and cutting out the first part I'd already edited but the audio-video sync is still off.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit).

If you have not already, please update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.

First assure that you (manually) or the project (automatically) have set the project preset to match the properties of your

source file. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect

Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out). If your source is VCR tapes, I am projecting that you are dealing with Standard 4:3 which would point

to project preset NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard as the project preset depending on your setup.

At playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, you should be looking at and listening to the Timeline rendered content (either no colored

line over the content or a green line). Is that the case?

One maneuver to deal with this type of situation (if alternatives fail).

a. Unlink the video and audio.

b. As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the left or right arrow key. One tap = 1 frame nudge. Or, as

you hold down the Shift+Alt of the computer main keyboard, tap the left or right arrow key. One tap = 5 frames nudge.

Please review and consider and then let me know if I have targeted your question. If not or need clarification, please do not

hesitate to tell me.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
            Pulfnick Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Thanks much for your quick reply. I'm updated, and have a 64 bit system.

This out of sync audio started in the middle of the second tape, after I added it to the first (edited) one and was about half way through with working on the second one. Prior to that, no problem.

I don't follow your tip about the project preset, but when I opened the project and started it, I did select the DV option and set it to 4:3.

I think the manual approach you describe would be perfect, as I can clearly identify where the problem starts and if I can just shift the audio to get in in sync with the video, I can trim out the problem area. When I go to the Expert mode, and right click on the Audio 1 timeline, I see the option to unlink audio and video, but it is not highlighted so isn't usable. How can I get it highlighted?

Thanks much.

Marvin Mathiak

• 3. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin Mathiak

Thanks for the follow up.

If you go to the Timeline Video Track 1 and Audio Track 1 and the video and audio track components are linked, right clicking the file on the Timeline will bring up a pop up menu. That menu will include Unlink Audio and Video. Is there any chance that the video and audio are already unlinked? Can you click and drag the audio component away from the video component?

If you set the Premiere Elements project preset manually to NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard to match the properties of your source file, then that should rule out the factor of mismatch between project preset and source affecting the issue.

Please consider and then we will discuss this some more.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
                Pulfnick Level 1

Hi A.T.,

I didn't think the audio/video were unlinked before, because I was trying to slide the audio by placing my cursor in the middle of the audio timeline. I finally figured out my cursor had to be at the end of the audio timeline to slide it. Looks like this will take care of the issue.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Marvin Mathiak

• 5. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin Mathiak

Glad the issues have been sorted out and you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects. Great job.

We appreciated the follow up which is important.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: How can I get audio and video in sync?
                    Pulfnick Level 1

Hi A.T.

I thought I had it. I can right click and slide the audio timeline, but as soon as I release the right click, the timeline reverts to its original position. If I could make it stay put where I drop it, the issue would be solved, but nothing I've tried stops the timeline from going back to the original position, including trying a combination of clicking with shift, alt, etc. I've also tried cutting the timeline and then pasting it where it needs to be to match video, but there is no way to paste it back in after I've cut it. Any suggestions on getting the timeline to stay where I move it?

Thanks again.

Marivn