13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 5:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer

richn88778477

I recently had my home movies transfered digitally by iMemories and downloaded onto my computer in an MP4 format.  These were downloaded as zip files.  The problem is Adobe Premier Elements 13 cannot find or recognize these files.  They are on my hard drive and I can play them on my Movie Maker program on my Windows PC, but Elements cannot read them.  I get an error message that states "This type of file is not supported or the required Codec is not installed".  I need help!  iMemories is a major player in this market and I find it hard to believe they are using a format that cannot be read.  What do I do next and how do I solve this problem?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>downloaded as zip files

You need to UN-zip the files

• 2. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
            richn88778477 Level 1

John, I tried to do that, it still won't accept these files.

• 3. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 4. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

richn

What is your computer operating system? Have you updated from 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Since you can play your files from iMemories on your computer and Movie Maker, it would seem that you are not working with .zip files but rather .mp4 files.

Where on the hard drive did you save these .mp4 files (unzipped) that Premiere Elements cannot find? And, what are you using for the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Add Media in the project?

I have Googled iMemories and found that its downloads can be two kinds (difference between them seems to be bitrate and file size). Examples that were given

H.264.mp4

2.5 GB

1080p

1920 x 1080p

and

H.264.mp4

543 MB

1080p

1920 x 1080p

Please confirm the above information.

Premiere Elements 13 typically supports the H.264.mp4 format.

Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot

GSpot Codec Information Appliance and let us know the

Video Name Codec Status and Audio Name Codec Status for one of these .mp4 files that are not being recognized by

Premiere Elements 13/13.1. And, please tell us whether you are getting this message in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 or

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor. I am assuming it appears in the Editor.

Please let us know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                  richn88778477 Level 1

I will attempt to find out this information but I am totally frustrated with all these additional hidden codes.  I bought a video editing program that was supposed to be simple for the average guy to operate and now I find this whole other world of computer speak that I have no idea of how to address.  Very frustrating.

• 6. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                    richn88778477 Level 1

OK, I will attempt to answer as many of these questions as I can, but understand, I am not a computer expert and that is why I purchased this program, because it was supposed to be easy to operate for a novice like me. 

I have Windows 7, 64 bit on my computer.

These videos were downloaded and then moved to "My Videos" file on my hard drive.

Have no idea what kind of 13 I have, the disk says Adobe Premier Elements 13 - Period, no 13/13

I used the better version of iMemories to transfer the videos (longer download time)

The message was in the Editor phase of Elements.

I will try my best to figure out what I have with this Codec stuff and respond back to you.  Thank you.

• 7. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                      richn88778477 Level 1

OK, after running the program you suggested, here is what it told me.

At the very bottom, I get the message "Rendering failed - following is error reported by DirectShow:

0x80040265

At the top under status it says " codec status undetermined".  In the box above that it says:  avc1  H264/MPEG-4avc

Not sure where to go from here.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

richn

Thanks for the reply. And, thank you for considering the suggestions to resolve your issue.

Forget about the 13.1 Update for now. Stay with 13 which is what you download and installed.

Focus....

1. Given that you have in Videos the H.264.mp4 that you downloaded from iMemories.

2. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace, not Quick workspace...I want you to see

your .mp4 from its save location through its appearance in the project and on the Timeline.

3. In the Expert workspace of the program, go to Add Media/Files and Folders/ and navigate to

your Videos Folder where you have the .mp4 saved. In the Add Media dialog, select your .mp4.

Check the Add Media dialog and its Files of Type field at the bottom of the dialog. Set it to

All Supported Files or, if problem with that, then All Files. Click Open.

4. Does the .mp4 open in the project?

ATR

Add On...I saw your latest post after I posted this post. Please go ahead with the above. Your G-Spot readout confirms AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression to go

with your .mp4 file extension. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                          richn88778477 Level 1

ATR, I started to pull up the Elements program and it said there was a 13.1 upgrade available, so I went ahead and am installing that.  As soon as it finishes, I will try and run the steps you suggested and will get back to you.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPad

• 10. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                            richn88778477 Level 1

A.T., After installing 13.1, I tried to open as you suggested.  I had to use the "all files" format which then showed my files on the screen, but when I went to open I got the error message "This type of file not supported or the required codec is not installed.

• 11. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

richn

Thanks for the update.

It would be expected that a H.264.mp4 file would be supported by Premiere Elements. But, what did GSpot give for the Audio - Name and Status?

That should be at the bottom left of the GSpot readout.

Depending on the information about the file's audio, is there any chance of sending a sample of one of these .mp4 files (a short one that would not invade your privacy)? Sending could be as a Dropbox link or Google Drive link posted in the forum reply.

All the information including 0Xl80040264 are consistent with unsupported file, but "on paper" not to be expected.

Processing the .mp4 downloads may need to go through Movie Maker or HandBrake to get a H.264.mp4 that is supported by Premiere Elements. But

let us see what more we can find out about what you have.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                                richn88778477 Level 1

ATR, I think I solved the problem (with your help of course).  It turns out that I needed to extract the files from the zip folder and while playing around with these, I happened to right click the mouse which gave me the extract button, so I tried it and sure enough, it took a while for the files to load and then they came up on the screen and I was able to put those into the Elements program.  I thought I had done that before because I was able to see each file within the zip folder, but apparently, I needed to add this other step.  Thank you so much for your help (just telling me to look under "all files" section was able to locate these files which I couldn't do previously).  I appreciate you spending the time with me on this, have a wonderful day.

Rich

• 13. Re: Elements 13 Cannot Find My MP4 Files Downloaded on my Computer
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

richn

Thanks for the update with the wonderful news that you sorted through the troubleshooting to gain your success.

Great job.

Most important, you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects whose end products will be

enjoyed by all.

Best wishes

ATR