2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2007 9:13 AM by shadedecho

NEED Source code for built-in AS files

shadedecho
      A few questions:

1. Flash ships with only intrinsic definitions for built-in classes, but no implementation source code (that I can find anyway). The claim apparently is that compiled bytecode implementations for these classes are built into the flash player, or at least built automatically into a .swf that you create in flash, correct?

2. Is the code for these files actually written in AS? Or do they cheat and use some other more powerful language and compile to the Flash bytecode?

3. If the code is actually written in AS, how would I get my hands on this code? I understand that it is frowned upon to actually CHANGE the intrinsic classes, and this is NOT what I want to do. I want to do the proper thing and extend a built-in object into my own custom version. The problem is that what I'm wanting to change requires that I understand a little bit more about the internal workings of one of these classes, rather than just doing the extension in a black-box kind of way.

So what do I do?
        • 1. Re: NEED Source code for built-in AS files
          SymTsb Level 2
          If you'd like to change the intrinsic classes, look into prototype. You can make things do whatever they heck you like. May cause problems later for you though. As for getting your hands on the code, I don't think it's going to happen.
          • 2. Re: NEED Source code for built-in AS files
            shadedecho Level 1
            I know about prototype. My problem is not that i want to change the built in/intrinsic classes. I want to extend them in one special case (but not in others), but the type of extension that I'm trying to do requires me to understand some of the inner workings of their code, such as when in the flow of execution, in other words, in what order, various methods are called. Basically, I just need to read through the code to understand it, I don't need to change it at all.