5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 1:19 AM by elie-d

LR catalog backups - full or incremental

wheel264 Level 1

I backup my catalogs each time I close LR 5.7  , so I have multiple copies of my catalog backups.

are the backups full complete backs or incremental?  do I have to keep all the catalog backups?

if I have to restore a catalog from a backup, which one do I use?

thanks

• 1. Re: LR catalog backups - full or incremental
          THG_BO Level 3

Hi,

you should keep your catalog backups "forever". It may happen that you modify hundreds of images by mistake and recognize it moths or years later. Then, you need your old catalog backup!

I compress them using 7-zip which shrinks my 3Gb catalog to 100MB.

Backups are allway full backups. You may run "optimize catalog" from time to time.

• 2. Re: LR catalog backups - full or incremental
            wheel264 Level 1

i check some catalog sizes and see they are increasing in size by date, so I also conclude they are  complete backups.

lr cat backups.jpg

however  you know what is in each catalog, and I guess it's trial and error to  open them to see what you get. 

I would guess it's typically to recover from a change you didn't want to make.   if you have modified 100's of pictures and

dont' know it for months,  that could be a whole other problem. 

thanks for the info.  

• 3. Re: LR catalog backups - full or incremental
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Catalog backups are created so that in the event that your working catalog becomes damaged or corrupted it will be possible to revert to one of the backups. All changes made to images in Lightroom are completely undoable. It's always possible to restore an image to its state when it was imported. Since the catalog backup is a complete backup, I don't keep all of them. I occasionally go to my backup folder and delete some of the older backups. I usually keep the last 10 or so, and feel comfortable doing that.

• 4. Re: LR catalog backups - full or incremental
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Yes, each backup is a complete backup.

I keep the last 2-5 normally backed up on a weekly schedule.  Keeping every backup seems like overkill; I am not worried about "stupid user" errors. :-)

Keep in mind that the catalog backup does not backup the actual images. You need to keep the images backed up using something else.

• 5. Re: LR catalog backups - full or incremental
                  elie-d Level 4

you should keep your catalog backups "forever". It may happen that you modify hundreds of images by mistake and recognize it moths or years later. Then, you need your old catalog backup!

IMHO, that's insane. I have been using LR for seven years, at least a couple backups per week - that's 700 backups. Why on earth would I save them all? If I ever " modify hundreds of images by mistake and recognize it moths or years later," it would have to be a simple oversight involving a single action, like having Auto-Sync turned on, and fixing the mistake by rolling back the History would be equally simple.

I run two catalogs, "Archive", which contains photos from 2001 to 2014, and "Current" for 2015. I keep the last three backups from each catalog in a Google Drive folder on an external HD and in the Google Cloud.