21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 6:46 PM by GreatFun

How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?

GreatFun

I am not that concerned with quality.  I have roughly 15 game videos that are about 1GB each in MP4 container (H264+AAC) 1280x720p30.  I had hoped to create a single disc that could be watched on a blu-ray player.

I don't see ability to modify video settings, bit-rate, etc in Premiere Elements 13.  Can this be done?  How about in Premiere Pro or other software?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Great Fun

Premiere Elements 13/13.1

Please remind me, computer operating system and computer resources....

If you do a Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray disc and, in the burn dialog, have a check mark next to "Fit

Content to Available Space", the program will automatically lower the Bitrate to lower the file size to

make the fit on the disc until it cannot longer do that. And, the lower the bitrate, the lower the quality.

If quality it not an issue, then looks like a can do project.

I am going to do a quick run through to see what that looks like with your details.

To be continued....

ATR

Add On...What is the duration of each of these 15 files?

• 2. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
            GreatFun Level 1

Each file is roughly 45min in duration

• 3. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
              GreatFun Level 1

DVD has a slider, but AVCHD and Blu-Ray do not.

I am fully updated with 13.1

I have plenty of plenty of computer and video performance and LG Blu-ray Burner.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Here is guess-estimate based on a 1280 x 720 p30 file (1 GB file size/about 45 minutes duration)

Premiere Elements 13/13.1

Project Preset = NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p30

Destination:

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

disc

(BD-RE Blu-ray Disk 25 GB; preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby)

Source media = 15 files, each described 1280 x 720 p30 file (1 GB file size/about 45 minutes duration)

With check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required = 22.55 GB and Bitrate = 3.95 Mbps (megabits per second) and Status = Ready

and

Without check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Space Required = 115.17 GB and Bitrate = 20.19 Mbps and Status = Insufficient Disc Space for Burning

For a Blu-ray BD-R or BD-RE disc labelled 25 GB, in reality, the 25 GB = about 23 GB disc capacity.

In order for the project to get those approximate 11 hours of video to fit the disc capacity, it needs to lower the video file size to fit

within the disc capacity. To do that, it lowered the bitrate from about 24 Mbps to 3.95 Mbps.

User slider or no, that is the best that you are going to get, letting the project make the fit by way of the

auto bitrate directed by "Fit Content to Available Space".

Even with regard to DVD-VIDEO and the Quality Slider, the only time you want to remove the check

mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" is when you obtain a Data Rate Error and need to lower

the bitrate manually to a level that which will allow to do the burn to.

Consider, you are not at a loss here in the absence of a Quality slider.

Please review and consider and then, if clarification is needed on any of the above, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

So more numbers for you to consider....

Let us say that you used a BD-RE DL 50GB (2X)  instead of BD-RE 25 GB (2X).

In reality that 50 GB is often seen given as 46.56 GB.

Now if I take 15 of my files 1280 x 720 (file size each about 1 GB and each with duration of 45 minutes), then

No check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space

Space Required = 115.18 GB

and

Bitrate = 20.19 Mbps

Status = Insufficient Disc Space for Burning

With check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space

Space Required = 45.11 GB

and

Bitrate = 7.91 Mbps

Status = Ready

That 7.91 Mbps Bitrate is better than the 3.95 Mbps Bitrate with the BD-RE 25 GB disc.

Would a BD-RE DL 50 GB disc be worth it?

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                    GreatFun Level 1

Well, after several hours, it gets to 98% and says "not enough free storage".  Plenty of hard drive space so must be the blu-ray capacity.  I selected 25GB disc size and tried two different brands of 25GB blu-rays, but same on both.  Does Premiere ever make the files too big in spite of checking the box?

Here is the working folder. 

Thanks!

• 7. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                      GreatFun Level 1

ATR,

Can you take a look at above?  Should I enter some kind of formal support request with Adobe? 

• 8. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Sorry for the delayed reply. Got detoured after I saw your post 6.

What you have in that screenshot appears to the the Encoded Files Folder contents in the Adobe Folder (default Libraries/Documents/Adobe/

Premiere Elements/13.0). There is no way that I have ever seen where you can stop the program from automatically placing temporary folders and

files there related to the burn process.  The program decides if there is enough space in the Encoded Files Folder for these temporary folders and files.

The location for the Encoded Files Folder is set under Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the category Disc Encoding. How much free

hard drive space is shown there now? Do you have another location with more free hard drive space to direct the Disk Encoding temporary folders/files?

I do not see disc capacity entering into this present message and situation. Disc capacity issues should be reflected at the onset via Space

Required and Bitrate as well as the reading for the Status field.

Adobe Chat appears to be available for very limited matters related to Premiere Elements, such as program activation, return/refunds and the like. Many seem to be channeled by Chat to "Ask the Community" which is us (user to user). Right now I am not seeing a path where you can supply information to Adobe and get a one on one feedback from Adobe.

Please consider

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Sharing to DVD or Blu-ray Disc

Let us look at defragmented free hard drive space and those Disc Encoding Scratch Files and see if we can find our answer there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                          GreatFun Level 1

ATR,

Well, to my great dissatisfaction, Premiere Elements 13 has become a huge waste of my time, energy, and money.

The reason for purchasing the software was to edit basketball game video, create season highlights and game compilation discs that can be shared with the team to play on their blu-ray players.

The reality is that the software is incapable of properly sizing its renders to fit on the disk size selected and therefore can't author a blu-ray disc.

Furthermore, I attempted to use the ISO creation feature to work around this and try to burn with a 3rd-party software and after multiple attempts could not successfully create an ISO file either.

Furthermore, every time I save and close project and then reopen it, all of my menu formatting gets jumbled up requiring extensive time to fix it.

I must say that the forum is a nice place to come for help, and ATR, you have been very helpful indeed.  Thank you!

Hopefully, Adobe will correct these issues in a new update, but that doesn't help me now.

• 10. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Great Fun

Thank you for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

Even if you could have gotten those 15 games with menus on one Blu-ray disc (25 GB), I do not believe you would have been

satisfied with the quality (based on bitrate around 3 Mbps versus max around 20 Mbps). I think that you would

fare better with a Blu-ray disc 50 GB in that regard as mentioned earlier.

However, my interpretation of your overall description of your situation also points to free hard drive space pointing to the place where

temporary encoding files are automatically being sent. And, your report

Furthermore, every time I save and close project and then reopen it, all of my menu formatting gets jumbled up requiring extensive time to fix it.

seems to support problems with the placement of the Timeline menu markers, button overlap as seen in the Movie Menu customization area, and even

computer resource issues. How many Timeline menu markers are in this 15 games project and how many main menu and scene selection pages do you end up with? Which specific menu did you use?

There would be additional factors to factor in or out. But, from your latest post, it would appear that you have gotten to the point of "enough is enough"

If that is the case, I wish you well in your projects with alternative programs. If you decide to pursue factors in the present situation, I would be glad

for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                              GreatFun Level 1

Hi ATR,

So I am frustrated, but I want to see this through.

The resources comment made me think, so I have now doubled my RAM to 16GB and have seen where my system has briefly used as much as 12GB when opening my project.

I also uninstalled the software from my 256GB SSD, that had about 100GB free on it and reinstalled on a 1.5TB Hard Disk, just in case 100GB free wasn't enough or in case something was corrupted.  My project and all my files are on another 1.5TB Hard Disk in which there are over 350GB free.  I also created a new project and replaced all of my lower quality game videos with the original game video in case there was some kind of issue with the project or the source videos.

I reattempted to burn to 25GB BD-R and failed again at 98%, with same warning of not enough free space on disc.  I can see and play all of the video files that Elements just created from the hard drive and they work fine, and look very good, so I know the rendering completed.  They are just too large collectively to fit on the Blu-ray disc, in spite of using the Fit checkbox (see example in post 6 above).  I am convinced that Adobe Premiere Elements has a flawed estimation of free space on the BD-R and once the rendering is complete, that it will not fit on the disc.

I placed an order for 50GB BD-R DL discs today and will try again when they arrive.

This is a rather painful process as it takes ~8 hours to render the 12 hours of video each time I try something different.

My System:

Intel Core I7-2600K (8Core) 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Motherboard

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX970 Windforce Graphics Card

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance CAS9

Samsung 256GB 850PRO SSD with Windows 8.1 PRO

2x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM SATA Hard Drives, Each divided into two partitions.

LG 46" UHD 3840x2160x60 4:4:4 Display via HDMI 2.0 (Note that Adobe Premiere Elements handles scaling the interface to this resolution better than competitors)

I also have a MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo, that would take a lot longer, but I am tempted to install on that machine and give it a try to see if the MAC version works.  Note that I have my LG Blu-Ray burner in an external enclosure so I could attempt this.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Do not give up.

With regard to this error message that you are getting at 98% burn to, what is the specific wording? Is it really pointing to disc as per your report

"...., with same warning of not enough free space on disc". From what you have described previously my impression was that the message is

pointing to the location for the temporary encoding files.

The results from the 50 GB disc should shed some light on the current issue.

Please remind me where we stand regarding movie menu, Adobe built in number of buttons per page for your selected menu, and total number

of main menu pages and scene selection pages as per your failed runs. Depending on the answer to that, I am wondering if we could cut down

on the number of scene selection pages by selecting a movie menu with more buttons per page.

Looking forward to those 50 GB BD disc results.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                  GreatFun Level 1

Update:

MacBook Pro option didn't pan out for me.  I have mid2010 Core2Duo version and it is too slow to be practical option.  It was taking over 30min per 1% render in two attempts.  Both attempts failed by 5% completion for unknown reason.  Not moving forward with this option.

Back on PC version:  I decided to eliminate possibility that my external Blu-ray drive enclosure could be potential failure point, I have now installed the Blu-ray burner as drive D: in my case.  I completely reworked my project with new menus, new videos, etc.  Tried again and failed at same point again.

25GBBlu-rayFail.JPG

• 14. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                    GreatFun Level 1

C Drive is my main system drive and used to be where I had Premiere Elements installed.

CDrive.JPG

To try another option, I uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere Elements to G: Drive.

GDrive.JPG

The H: Drive stores my entire project and all media and is the target for all output and cache files.

25GBBlu-RayFailHDrive.JPG

Here is screen capture of Task Manager Performance while sitting at the 98% completion state.  Obviously, nothing is happening.

25GBFailTaskManager.JPG

Here is a capture of my Task Manager Performance screen as I cancel the project after it stops at 98%.  Looks like premiere elements cleans up the working files, which only takes a couple seconds.

25GBFailTaskManagerafterCancel.JPG

• 15. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                      GreatFun Level 1

Here was the encoded files summary for this failed burn attempt.

EncodedFiles25GBBlu-rayFail.JPG

The encode completed fully.  I can play all the audio files in VLC Media Player.  I can play all the video files in PowerDVD.  They are complete and look and sound great.  They just won't burn!

I have also tried two different brands of BD-R Media.  Verbatim 2X and Optical Quantum 4X brands.  Both are 25GB single layer.  I am still waiting on the 50GB DL discs to ship from Amazon.

• 16. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Back soon, but quick question

Why are the the G and H drives formatted exFAT instead of NTFS?

How soon before the Blu-ray disc 50 GB arrives? Did you go for the BD-RE DL 50 GB so that you can overwrite to reuse if necessary?

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                          GreatFun Level 1

I formatted them exFAT because it is a universal format supported by all operating systems without file size limitations of FAT.  My case allows me to quickly swap hard drives and then I can move photos and videos between a Mac and PC fairly quickly.

Amazon said they would ship today and still had arrival as tomorrow, which I don't believe, but I will find out tomorrow.  I did not get the RE disks, assuming they are much more expensive, but I should have checked.

Thanks.

• 18. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to the results from that 50 GB Blu-ray disc run.

If all goes well, how many Blu-ray discs are you going to have to produce?

ATR

• 19. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                              GreatFun Level 1

50GB failed for both disc and Iso attempts. posting from phone so I will post screen capture later.

12 kids on team. So 12 copies.

I Now have installed on Windows 7 machine with Core i7. If this doesn't work, i am out of options I think.

• 20. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GreatFun

Disappointing news about the 50 GB discs.

When you get the chance to collect your data, did the 50 GB test give the same failure profile and message as did the 25 GB test?

I need to think harder about this.

ATR

• 21. Re: How do I fit a season of basketball games on a single blu-ray?
                                                  GreatFun Level 1

Windows 7 laptop with Core i7 and 4GB ram with Nvidia graphics took over 24 hours to complete rendering, but then failed At the same spot as my Windows 8.1 Machine. Same error message. Just took 3 times as long to get there.

I will load some screen captures as soon as I get the chance.