10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2016 8:00 AM by Just Shoot Me

Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

Cinful

I used the Aperture Import plugin to import my Library to start fresh with Lightroom 5. It created many extra "collections" that I now don't know what to do with. It would take me hours to change the hierarchy in Lightroom now that this has occured.

Sample Aperture Hierarchy:

PERSONAL FOLDER

FAMILY FOLDER

SISTER PROJECT - contains photos

DAD PROJECT - contains photos

MOM PROJECT - contains photos

How they transferred to Lightroom 5 Hierarchy using SISTER as example:

PERSONAL COLLECTION SET

FAMILY COLLECTION SET

SISTER COLLECTION SET

SISTER COLLECTION (NAMED "PROJECT PHOTOS") - contains photos

Essentially, it duplicated efforts and created two (a collection set and a collection) for every one project in aperture. (see SISTER above)

It did this for hundreds of collection sets/projects! It seems in order to correct this I would have to go back and remove the last COLLECTION SET for every COLLECTION and Change it to a COLLECTION INSTEAD (renaming it from "PROJECT PHOTOS" to the COLLECTION NAME). I tried some of this but it didn't seem to want to let me move the COLLECTIONS named "Project Photos" into the COLLECTION SET?

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to change or clean up my aperture library so it won't import this way? (Considering just deleting the Lightroom Catalog and starting from scratch with a new import). I have to have the sub categories for organization.
      2. Is there an easy way to change a collection set to a collection and have all the pics show up there. I tried moving photos from the collection into collection sets and it would not let me.
      3. Is there a way to choose/customize how it imports from Aperture and select whether things = collection sets or collections?
      4. Should I use regular import instead? Will that work differently and if so what are the steps?
      5. What is the correct hierarchy based on the Aperture example above as to how I should be organizing my photos?
      6. Finally, In terms of my CATALOGUE; I am not thrilled that it brought everything in by day (3/13/2015, 3/12/2015) into my catalogue! Is there an option to tell it HOW to import? Say by month? Will I have to keep up this sequence every time I import now? (I plan to import/sync with SmugMug from now on: Iphone to SmugMug to Lightroom)

Thanks and any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)
          nicholask75892041

I have exactly the same question clearly put by cinful  over a year ago.

Imports from Aperture to Lightroom using the plug-in create collection sets for the Aperture folders. The collection sets are correctly named but the photos are put in sub-collections that are all called 'Project Photos'. I would of course like to have them go directly into collections named as in Aperture. Alternatively, I would like to have a way to automatically rename the 'Project Photo' collections to correspond with their collection-set parents.

Surely I'm not alone with this problem, but I don't seem to be able to find any solutions or requests for solutions.

Has there been any progress in the meantime?

• 2. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Collections are just image Shortcuts, On a Mac Aliases, placed into a Group for easier access to that group of images. Removing images from a collection does not remove images from the LR catalog file or from your hard drive. Also you can remove complete collections from the collections list and not actually remove any images from the LR catalog or from your hard drive.

Collection in LR are not like Folders on your hard drive.

• 3. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)
              nicholask75892041 Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Here's an example that might make the  problem clearer.

This is a screenshot from Aperture. It shows, in Aperture terminology, a 'folder' containing three 'Projects'. My Aperture library, by the way, is 'managed', not 'referenced'.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 13.26.46.png

When I run the Lightroom plug-in 'Import from Aperture Library...' Lightroom makes copies of my images, sorting and labelling them according to the day they were created: No folder names from Aperture at this stage. The file structure that has been created on disc then appears in Lightroom in the Folders tab of the Library. So far so good.

The problem lies in the creation of collections. Here is the corresponding structure that is made in Lightroom.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 13.31.20.png

Collection-Sets are created for each Aperture project, and the images, (rather links to the images) are placed in sub-collections that are all called 'Project Photos'.

To get the collections renamed correctly and put directly in the collection set two levels higher, in this example, under '2007', the following ponderous procedure has to be carried out:

1. Click on a collection-set name and select 'Rename' from the drop-down menu.

2. A Finder window opens (on my iMac) showing the collection-set name in the disc heirarchy. Copy the Collection-set name and close the window.

3. Click on the subordinate 'Project-Photos' collection, select 'Rename', and paste in the copied collection-set name.

4. Move the now correctly named collection two levels up (into Collection-Set '2007').

5. Delete the empty collection-set.

I have about 70.000 images in my Aperture libraries. That's why I am looking for a solution or work-around this problem.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

Sorry I know nothing about Aperture or how it stores, manages, or references images on your drive or how LR interprets the  Aperture Projects into the LR Collections.

I was only trying to describe how the LR collections work and what they are.

You can create separate collections under the top level collection name and then place those same images from the multiple collection entries into the newly created Sub-Collections then get rid of the multiple entries.

You, I, could have 2>1000 collections with exactly the same images in them. Collections are just a Grouping of images that are already in the LR catalog and the images can be store anywhere on any hard drive connected to your computer.

As far as I understand it there is no direct translation from the Aperture Projects into the LR collection feature. So it is up to you to create new collections in the hierarchy of your choosing and then place the images you want into each of those collections.

• 5. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

Thanks anyway. I appreciate your having taking time to reply. I'm going to try transferring my Aperture images 'manually', that is, without using the Lightroom plug-in.

• 6. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From your screenshot, it seems to me that the only problem you have is the creation of the sub collection "project photos"? All you need to do here is to click the disclosure triangle next to the collection set above it (such as "2007-01-04 | DOMINIC ART" and it will be hidden and the "2007-01-04 | DOMINIC ART" item will function exactly as it was a normal collection. No need to do all the moving and renaming you are doing and if you don't open the disclosure triangle you would never know there was a "project photos" collection below.

• 7. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

IIRC when you allow Aperture, or iPhoto, to Manage your images they are copied into a Package folder someplace in your UserName folder and to get them out you have to right click and select Show Package Contents on the .PhotoLibrary package file. Then they are in the Masters folder under dated subfolders. But none of the edits you did on them in Aperture will be included. Those are the Master files as downloaded from the memory cards or cameras.

Best of luck getting it straightened out.

• 8. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

You're right! And I think I'll go that way and just leave things as they are.

I will, however, have to swallow two drawbacks that this approach brings with it, drawbacks that have prevented me from going this way until now.

1. The Collection sets do not show the number of enclosed files, whereas collections do. This is important information to have at a glance. You can see the effect in the screenshot above.

2. The plug-in creates thousands of redundant folders, not really a major problem, but painfully inelegant.

Thanks for you comments :-)

• 9. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

Thanks for your comments,Just Shoot Me, and your good luck wishes.

Nick

• 10. Re: Import from Aperture Created Extra Collections (2 for 1)

nicholask75892041 wrote:

2. The plug-in creates thousands of redundant folders, not really a major problem, but painfully inelegant.

Thanks for you comments :-)

I think that is because of how Aperture stores the Master files in that Package folder I was talking about. If you look at that package folder contents you will see many many subfolders under the Masters folder.

IMHO there is a reason Apple discontinued Aperture. And it wasn't because they came up with a better program in Apple Photos.