7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 5:11 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom vs. Bridge

krystinatinaxo

I'm thinking of making the switch to Lightroom from Bridge, but I have several questions:

- Does Lightroom have a Camera Raw function like Bridge does?

- Am I correct in saying that Lightroom is "over taking" Bridge in the photography world, and more and more professionals are using Lightroom?

I applied for a traineeship at a local photography company but they didn't even look at my portfolio because I only had experience in Bridge, and they wanted someone proficient in Lr. This is what is largely motivating my switch to Lr. And I want to use what the pro's are using. Keep up to date with industry standards and all of that fancy stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Krystina

• 1. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
          Bob Somrak Level 5

If you know how to use the RAW tools in Bridge you will be able to pick up the Develop module of Lightroom very quickly.  It use panels instead of tabs but the sliders work similarly.   The Library Module.on the other hand may have a learning curve.

• 2. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
            krystinatinaxo Level 1

That's good to know! I use Camera Raw religiously so I'm happy to know there's a Lr equivalent. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The develop module is ACR.

The biggest difference between LR and Bridge is Bridge is a file manager, you can browse all your drives, folders and files on your computer. LR is a Database cataloging system. It only shows you drives, folders and files you have specifically imported into LR and the files you import have to be image or video files of one type or another.

In Bridge you can either open a raw file directly in ACR or Open Photoshop and have the raw file opened in PS's ACR.

LR can show you all images you have imported or you can select one or multiple imported folders to show only the images in either that one or multiple folders.

With bridge you have to select a specific folder, IE it can't show you all your photos in one large lump sum. That is unless you store all your images in one folder.

• 4. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
                marisoldorantessilva

I was taught in Lightroom only and I work with a professional photographer now. It drives him crazy that I never used Bridge before. I am actually doing the opposite of what you are doing and trying to teach myself how to use Bridge and the difference in nuances between the two programs. I think it is really a personal preference when it comes to photographers. Ultimately, the more knowledge the better.

• 5. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
                  deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi kyystinatinaxo,

As shootistbond007 as suggested Camera raw is the develop module , it is similar in terms of all the slider that you get in the camera raw. The other advantage of Lightroom is that it is really powerful when it comes to organize your photos.

You can download the trial of the latest Lightroom through creative cloud

Digital photography software | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

Thanks

• 6. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
                    dj_paige Level 9

As others have said, the developing of your photos is identical to bridge.

The main difference is that Lightroom is a workflow tool, it should speed up your workflow, from the time the photos are in the camera, until you are finished with the photos and are ready to distribute (via email or web or print). There are many tools in Lightroom that aid in this process, including organizing (more powerful tools than Bridge has), searching, applying the same metadata or edit to multiple photos, and tools to distribute the photos after they are edited and finalized.

• 7. Re: Lightroom vs. Bridge
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

marisoldorantessilva wrote:

I was taught in Lightroom only and I work with a professional photographer now. It drives him crazy that I never used Bridge before. I am actually doing the opposite of what you are doing and trying to teach myself how to use Bridge and the difference in nuances between the two programs. I think it is really a personal preference when it comes to photographers. Ultimately, the more knowledge the better.

As I stated before Bridge is the Adobe File Manager program which can and is use with all Adobe software, not just Photoshop. Bridge does not include any image editing features, it is strictly a File Manager. It can see all files on your computer whether they are images, AI documents or whatever (Even Word document and Excel spreadsheets). You can call up Adobe Camera RAW directly from Bridge but it is a separate program/app and I'm not sure that is even installed if all you have is Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat or InDesign installed. But you can have Bridge installed with all of those other Adobe program (at one time Bridge got installed when installed those other programs. Now it is an Option).

Lightroom is an Image Cataloging and Non Destructive image editing program. It does not display all files, folders and drives on your computer (other than in the Import dialog window). It only displays the Files, Folders and Drives you have imported images from and then only displays those images, no other files are displayed. It is Not a File Manager program.