3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 7:56 PM by Dakota Wind

LR doesn't always show correct thumbnails in Library View

Dakota Wind Level 1

After doing a lot of work in LR, some of the thumbnails in the library view switch to another one in the same catalog and if the photo is taken in landscape it turns to portrait and vise-versa.  By clicking on a thumbnail, it might correct itself, or go to something else.

I've dumped the preference file, quit LR, and turned the computer off, but that doesn't always help.

I was going to uninstall LR and add it back on, but my LR 5 was purchased as an upgrade from 4 and downloaded to the computer before it became part of the CC package.  After reading that you can't use your existing license key if you re-install LR, I'm not sure just how to do this.  Or maybe since it shows up on the CC list of apps (PhotoShop, Bridge and LR) maybe it doesn't matter.  Just didn't want to mess things up.

Anyone know what is going on?  The thumbnails show up fine in Bridge.  I could use it for RAW processing, but LR is so much faster.

Thanks,  Sue

• 1. Re: LR doesn't always show correct thumbnails in Library View
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

My first thought is that there is a problem in your preview cache. You might try exiting LR and deleting the "* previews.lrdata" subfolder in your catalog folder.

• 2. Re: LR doesn't always show correct thumbnails in Library View
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure where you read the you cannot use your existing serial number on a reinstall. That simply isn't true. Nevertheless, you could uninstall your standalone Lightroom 5 and then install it from the creative cloud application manager. It's a very simple transition. You remove the old version, and then install from the creative cloud application manager. The installation puts an icon on your desktop. You double-click the icon, Lightroom opens the same catalog you are using previously, work continues uninterrupted. I don't know if this is going to resolve the issue. But it's worth a try.

• 3. Re: LR doesn't always show correct thumbnails in Library View
              Dakota Wind Level 1

Thanks ManiacJoe and Jim,

I ended up dumping the cache and also optimizing the catalog and enlarging the cache size and restarted the computer and that has helped.  All seems to be working today.  I'm not sure where I read about not being able to use the stand alone version license key but I think it was somewhere on a Adobe site.  But after all the reading yesterday I can't say for sure.  I'm hoping all keeps working until LR6 comes out. 

Appreciate your suggestions.

Sue