16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 9:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Stabilization failure.

prman13 Level 1

I have a captured VHS video clip in Premiere Elements 13 that has some low-level jitters. I have tried several times to stabilize this using the "Quick" option. Each time, after a half-hour of processing, a message returns with "Stabilization Failed." My system has 32 GB RAM memory, and I shut down all desktop operations during the process. There should be no insufficient memory issues.  What's going wrong here?

• 1. Re: Stabilization failure.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Please remind me...in our prior discussions, have you said that you are running the program as the 13.1 Update?

Have you seen the Adobe document on the Premiere Elements 13 Shake Stabilizer.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Stabilize video footage with Shake Stabilizer

If not, please review the details/options there and the recommendations for use.

Does the Shake Stabilizer Quick way seem to be giving normal progress display until it throws off the Stabilization Failed message?

From what you wrote, you are not running in the typical problems of

a. no stabilization because of mismatch between video to be stabilized and the project settings

b. Time Stretch or Time Remapping being applied to the same clip beforehand

Do you make any advances in the Detailed part of Shake Stabilizer?

Is the issue restricted to one particular video clip in one particular project? Or, are new projects with different clips similarly affected?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Stabilization failure.
            prman13 Level 1

Dear Mr. Romano.

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions, thus:

1. I am running Premiere Elements 13.1 and I have read the Help section on using the Shake Stabilizer.
            2. The program seems to progress normally until it reaches the end, and then the monitor clip throws up a big red "Stabilization failed" banner. I do not know how to remove this banner.
            3. I have not encountered the "typical problems" to which you allude.
            4. I have not yet tried the Detailed approach to the Shake Stabilizer.
            5. The project comprises three video clips. I have tried to use the SS on two of them, and each has failed.

I have no idea why this is happening, other than to suggest that the program is not very robust in this department.  And how do I remove the red banners from the two clips?

• 3. Re: Stabilization failure.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have Movie Maker 2012 on your Windows 8 or 8.1 Computer? If so, please try to video stabilize there those two videos that did not

make it through Shake Stabilizer and its quick way. Does it work?

But, I would look at the Detailed way described for Shake Stabilizer and determine if the quick and detailed way (which allows you to customize

settings) give different results (does not work versus works).

If you are left with a band at the end of the failed Shake Stabilizer video stabilization, please be in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ and right click the

Shake Stabilizer panel and click on Delete in the pop up menu.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Stabilization failure.
                prman13 Level 1

ATR,

• I will install Movie Maker 2012 and experiment with this, in response to your first question.
                • I will try the Detailed SS and see if it produces a different result.
                • Another observation: From reading the Help menu, it seems that "video stabilization" refers to shaky camera work within the clips. In my case, this is not an issue. The jitters that I am talking about are really "frame shakiness." I recorded an Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra Great Performances concert on PBS in 1978, using a VHS recorder. Using a different playback machine (the original recorder is NLA), with the recorded signal captured through a Canopus ADVC-300 bridge, the entire clip is somewhat "jittery" on the vertical axis. I presume that this is more related to the azimuth alignment on the playback VCR than anything else. In any case, I was hoping that the Shake Stabilizer would make corrections for this syndrome.

Stay tuned.

• 5. Re: Stabilization failure.
                  prman13 Level 1

Part II:

• I tried stabilizing in Movie Maker 2012—it did nothing to stabilize the frame-shaking, and did odd things with the superimposed titles and end credits that the producers of the program added—like moving the superimposed titles around the screen, instead of where they should have been.
                  • As far as the Detailed version (advanced) of the SS, I'm not sure of the proper settings for frame (as opposed to camera) jitters.

Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: Stabilization failure.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Thanks for the updates.

I will think about this some more in the morning.

But, going back to the very beginning...the jitters that you encountered...are they are the edges of the frame or within the frame itself?

ATR

• 7. Re: Stabilization failure.
                      prman13 Level 1

AT,

• At the bottom of the frame, there is about a sixteenth of an inch black bar, with some white diagonal lines, that is constantly jittery. Then every once in a while, the entire video frame shifts up about a sixteenth inch for a split second, as if the camera hit a speed bump, and then settles down again.
                      • One other anomaly: When I exit the program and start again, choosing the existing project, I get a error message: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E. The project will not load until I put a disk into the drive. Is this because one of the video clips (Project Asset) was captured from a DVD?  VOB files and all that?
                      • 8. Re: Stabilization failure.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Thanks for the follow up.

Have we discussed previously the known No Disc error of Premiere Elements 13/13.1?

If not, then please delete the OldFilm.AEX file found

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Plug-ins

Common

NewBlue

and in the NewBlue Folder is the OldFilm.AEX file that you delete or disable by renaming OldFilm.AEX to OldFilm.AEXOLD.

Let us see what impact that deletion or disabling has on No Disk error and the overall problems.

If you have already deleted or disabled the OldFilm.AEX, then back to thinking about this some more.

ATR

• 9. Re: Stabilization failure.
                          prman13 Level 1

AT,

I renamed the OldFilm.AEX file and it did remove the No Disk error message.   However, I tried another Shake Stabilization procedure on one video clip in the project (with 30 minute running time), after making precautionary actions, with the following results:

1. I shut down all the desktop operating programs on the computer and as many unnecessary TSR programs, such as Skype, as warranted.
                          2. I chose the Detailed SS utility and tracked the CPU and Memory processes with Task Manager during the operation.
                          3. During the stabilization process, the CPU usage varied from 55-65%. The memory throughout held at about 24 GB (out of 32 GB).
                          4. Starting the final stages of stabilization, however, the memory usage graph began climbing upwards until the SS process reached 98-99% and memory was hovering between 29-31%. Then the process crashed—the "Stabilization failed" banner flashed onto the monitor window, and a Window Error message announced that memory was low and do I want to exit the program.
                          5. It seems that this SS utility demands a high level of memory while operating, and at the final stages, when it tries to process the whole clip, it exceeds the memory capacity of the computer itself. At 32GB RAM memory, this computer is maxed out. I don't know any other motherboards that would allow enough memory chips to exceed this.
                          6. The question is, why would such a memory-intensive utility be part of a program designed for home users, most of whom do not have as much RAM as I have?  Sysinfo below:

• 10. Re: Stabilization failure.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Thanks for the detailed information.

When I asked about the location of the jitter, I was thinking to a strategy where you could try to crop out the edge jitter.

Sort of a band-aid approach.

What has been the format and duration of the clips (of VHS origin) that you have been video stabilizing as a corrective measure for video

jitter. From your prior description, can I assume that your source is MPEG2.mpg 640 x 480 pixel aspect ratio = 1.0 or 720 x 480 with pixel aspect ratio =

0.9091?

As for the resource demands of the Shake Stabilizer...is the syndrome you have described applicable to

Shake Stabilizer

a. all the footage with the VHS origin

and

b. to other video formats in your computer environment

ATR

• 11. Re: Stabilization failure.
                              prman13 Level 1

AT,

This describes one of the three clips in the project, two of which are derived from VHS tapes, and the other from a DVD.

I have only tried stabilization on the VHS tape clips. DVD captures have all been rock solid in terms of a stable picture. Trimming the bottom edge won't help very much since the unstableness affects the entire picture.

Most all of my occasion to use Premiere Elements 13.1 (and earlier versions 8 and 10) is to transfer material recorded as far back as 1979 on VHS cassettes to DVDs.  Occasionally, I download HD material from YouTube and burn them to Blu-ray disks, using PE for editing purposes.  I do not have a digital videocam, so I cannot testify as to the operation of the Shake Stabilizer on digitally recorded videos.  Other than attempting to convert color slides into slide shows, my primary use of PE is to convert VHS tape material as content for DVD watching and preserving.  I have over 1,000 VHS cassette tapes, and while most of these are movies which I have substituted with commercial DVDs or those recorded off, say, Turner Classic Movies, I still have other material recorded off TV which is not available elsewhere—plays, concerts, recitals, etc.

• 12. Re: Stabilization failure.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

priman13

Thanks for the reply.

I have been doing some Googling on the subject of VHS Tapes and a concept called TBC (Time base correction) for VHS tapes.

Have you been involved with that at all? It would seem to me that takes your jitter issue to the nature of the VHS recordings

rather than on the way a camera was mounted or held.

I have just started to read about TBC. And, I am not sure if it would have been part of a camcorder passthrough in the capture.

ATR

• 13. Re: Stabilization failure.
                                  prman13 Level 1

AT,

The VHS tapes that I am converting, as I mentioned in my previous thread, go back as far as 1979, when sale of VHS recorders was just beginning, after Sony's Betamax machines. I have had quite a number of VHS recorders—two were actually stolen in the 1980s when my former house in Ann Arbor was broken into by burglars. This being said, the tapes were recorded on different machines over a 15-20 year period—each of which had different recording characteristics.

Since the original machine cannot be determined for each tape, I am relegated to using about two current machines for playback and capture purposes. I suspect that the electronic tracking/azimuth alignment methods employed by these current machines are not entirely in sync with those of the original recorder(s). This is what is causing the instability. The Shake Stabilizer was used, unsuccessfully, to try to compensate for this. But maybe it was not designed to do this, but only for shaky camera work within a given frame, but  not the entire frame itself.

Does this make sense to you?

• 14. Re: Stabilization failure.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Your assessment of the situation seems right on.

Shake Stabilizer video stabilization (camera shake) is just not matching up with the jitter characteristic of certain recordings of VHS origin.

I have not done enough reading on the subject to know if there are TBC technology out there can is targeted minimizing or removal of the jitter

you have encountered in these files? Or is the price of such technology prohibitive.

ATR

• 15. Re: Stabilization failure.
                                      prman13 Level 1

AT,

It would depend upon the cost.  I suppose I can live with the tapes the way they are. It's just irritating to watch a less-than-perfect picture.  I also might be able to tweak whatever azimuth adjustment controls there might be on the playback recorder to minimize tracking imperfections with the playback.  Anything after capture within PE 13.1 seems to be dicey.

Thanks with your help with this, though.

• 16. Re: Stabilization failure.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

prman13

Thanks. Best wishes with these projects.

ATR

Add On...I messed up on a sentence (in structure rather than content) in post 14 and do not have privileges to correct...the following is the edited version...

I have not done enough reading on the subject to know if there is TBC technology out there that can target minimizing or removal of the jitter that

you encountered in these files. Or is the price of such technology prohibitive?