15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 11:27 AM by Willi Adelberger

Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

PhiBible

Hello,

I've been using Indesign since 2001 for publishing Bibles (large Books of 700+ pages).

Recently, I started using the Kindle plugin for CS4. The first Kindle Book was successful, but I have some bugs to report.

Just about every time I start the export to Kindle process, the export crashes and I get a popup saying "Object invalid" or "not an Object". I restart the export, and it runs. Go figure.

Sometimes, the export will halt part way through the process, and popup the same message(s) about an invalid object.

If this doesn't happen, the resulting .mobi file is good and usable. Although I have found that any indented text (such as a Table of Contents [just text not hyperlinked or anything]) with 3 levels of indentation will not line up correctly in the outputted file; and anything I do to correct it doesn't seem to work; and the result will look different in different Kindle devices, according to the Kindle emulator tool.

If these problems are ignored and an output .mobi file can be generated, the Kindle file is pretty good. It is much better quality than a comparable .mobi file generated starting with Word documents, then using the Amazon emulator tool to convert it to .mobi. So kudos to Adobe guys, your product is performing better than the alternative, but there are still warts.

The 2nd problem I am having currently, is that I have another Bible version that I have prepared for exporting to Kindle format, using identical everything  to the previous Bible version. There are 40 individual documents tied together by a "Book", relatively small sizes. Every time I have tried to export this Book to Kindle, it crashes, and I have no idea why. I tried "save as" for every document, so each one would be a clean file.

I just did another export, and I got the following error popup that you can see here. Please help if you can. ThanksCapture.JPG

• 1. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
          PhiBible Level 1

I think I figured out what was wrong.

I was using a Book with 40 different documents tied together into a single Book.

I created a new document and "repoured" the content from the single documents into the new single document with a lot more pages. After adding several of the single doc contents, I did a test run to see if the old bugs would should up, and not a single one did.

I still need to repour all of the content into the new single document and retest, but I've got a feeling that this was the problem. It appears that the Kindle plugin works fine with single docs, but not with Books and a bunch or even a few single docs tied together. That creates crashes, and it always results in that error that you see in the photo above.

That should help you all to run down the source of the problem.

I liked the Book w/ single docs, because I needed to create a TOC with each single doc. If they're all together when creating the TOC, unless you do a lot of extra work making special styles for each TOC, it all globs together and that's not what was desired.

So anyway, I hope this helps. I'll post again, once I get it all combined tomorrow and rerun the export, and let you know the results.

• 2. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
            PhiBible Level 1

Oh and one other thing: with the 32 bit Indesign CS4, it takes around an hour to generate a Kindle file from about 750 pages or so. That is a waste of my time. I sure would like to upgrade to the 64 bit, but I just can't justify spending 240-odd bucks every single year forever for a software app. It's great for Adobe, but lousy for small businesses like mine.

• 3. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
              MW Design Level 4

Just a couple of notes.

First, you aren't addressing Adobe when posting on these forums. They are user to user forums that Adobe provides.

Second, the Kindle plug-in is written and provided by Amazon. Worse, it has never been out of beta.They do update kindlegen.exe that the plug-in uses once in a while. Depending upon the version you are using, there could be a more current version of kindlegen.exe available from Amazon's web site. Do note that these updates sometimes fix one thing and break another.

Mike

• 4. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As mentioned, Kindle plugin is not from Adobe and is way out of date.

But InDesign has changed a lot in the last Years, even with CC 2014.2 you get much better results in preparing and exporting to EPUBs. The hugest step was between CS6 and CC and again CC and CC 2014. So I would strongly recommend to upgrade.

I am saying it because Amazon provides some EPUB-to-kindle converter which will have much more reliable results with EPUB3-exports than with all other methods.

• 5. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                  PhiBible Level 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Good to know about the plugin not being from Adobe.

As I said before, I would love to upgrade, if I could buy it once and forget it. But a continual monthly outlay that goes on into infinity (assuming I continue using the product), is unacceptable for a small business like mine. I think I have found a workaround for this problem that I already described, so it will have to do until my business prospers and I can afford to upgrade.

• 6. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Max Day wrote:

Oh and one other thing: with the 32 bit Indesign CS4, it takes around an hour to generate a Kindle file from about 750 pages or so. That is a waste of my time. I sure would like to upgrade to the 64 bit, but I just can't justify spending 240-odd bucks every single year forever for a software app. It's great for Adobe, but lousy for small businesses like mine.

How much is your time worth?

• 7. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

You should consider that the Cloud Model has a lot of financial advantages contrary to CS6 permanent program (or any previous permanent program):

• You can install several language version additional in one setting which will add the capability to layout in different language systems without additional cost, like Hebrew, Arabic, Indic, Asian, etc.
                      • Change the OS or even install it on 2 different OS at the same time without additional cost.
                      • Always latest version with always improved versions. In the past Years it was improved in EPUB.
                      • Includes a lot of professional costs.

A lot of time saving improvements have been done in other programs like Illustrator.

New programs came and will come.

• 8. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                        PhiBible Level 1

I downloaded the CC trial for ID, and tried exporting, but it has no plugin for Kindle. Only epub, which won't convert the file properly.

Specifically, the forced line breaks do not convert, and that is absolutely high priority.

Also, the ID Table of Contents did not convert either, only the text, and that is very bad.

And, the Amazon plug in for Kindle only works up to CS6, not this version, so clearly In Design CC is not ready for prime time yet. Let me know when you guys get it up to speed.

• 9. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                          MW Design Level 4
                          ...so clearly In Design CC is not ready for prime time yet. Let me know when you guys get it up to speed.

Again, you ain't writing to Adobe. No one here in this thread is an Adobe employee.

Use Kindle Preview to convert the ePub to mobi. For what it's worth, I use Jutoh for all my eBook work.

Mike

• 10. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                            PhiBible Level 1

I tried epub, but it creates garbage. the forced line breaks were removed, so everything was jammed together, which is totally unacceptable.

And the ID generated Table of Contents was converted to text, although the setup seemed to indicate that it should work.

I can't use epub for this work.

• 11. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

It’s apparent from your comments that you don’t have a very good understanding of EPUB under the hood. Forced linebreaks should never be used in a reflowable EPUB.

If you want to expand your horizons you really need to do some studying on the subject.

• 12. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs
                                PhiBible Level 1

Well, Bob, You are right that I don't know much about epubs, but I do understand Kindle format.

Kindle requires or at least strongly suggests forced line breaks between chapters so it doesn't all run together. If these are removed as the epub format does, then that makes epub useless for conversion to Kindle, if I am to adhere to Amazon's guidelines.

I suppose that I could not use forced line breaks, but then the result would not be good. No matter how the text is reflowed by the user, the start of a chapter looks best at the top of the page. I agree with Amazon on this point.

If I have to reinsert the forced line breaks after conversion to epub, then that is a lot of rework, which is a complete waste of my time. Tell me again why Adobe and Amazon can't get their act together and provide suitable plugins for all the people I see on your discussion pages and on the web who are begging for a Kindle plugin for Adobe CC?

• 13. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

If you don’t want to learn how to do this properly, that’s your prerogative. But it’s Amazon that’s breaking the rules, not Adobe.

There are proper, and very easy, ways to create a chapter break.

• 14. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

I would recommend not to use forced line breaks at all (or at least in very rare cases). Maybe useful in poetry, let's say Psalm 119 or Deuteronomy 32 or Bible chapters like these (I have to set up a lot of Christian books and magazines and often are whole chapters of the Bible to be used) but anything else can be done without forced line breaks. Why should someone use it?

If someone want to avoid a break between words or other thing, he should use other means to format it. In most cases forced line breaks are used to avoid something different rather than someone wants a line break somewhere.

• 15. Re: Kindle plugin crashes and bugs

It is a setting upon EPUB export if forced line breaks are omitted or not.

ForcedLine.png