3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 4:54 AM by Just Shoot Me

Problem Loading Lightroom

stephanies3215174

Hello everyone,

Recently my installation of lightroom has stopped loading giving this error message:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with various different versions of lightroom. I have cleared the preferences and various other things in the library files, I have run all the various OS X cleaning tools, mended file permission etc.

The frustrating thing is that it used to work fine! I can't pin point a particular change that happened before it stopped working.

I have a MacMini 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB Ram OS X 10.7.5.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Problem Loading Lightroom
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Find the LR 5 Catalog Preview folder and delete it. The folder is called "Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata". Lightroom must be closed and it is in the same folder as the catalog folder.

• 2. Re: Problem Loading Lightroom
            stephanies3215174 Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I did what you suggested then reinstalled and it hasn't helped

Many thanks

• 3. Re: Problem Loading Lightroom
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Although I used a Mac and OS X for several years I gave up on it for just these type of things happening out of the blue. No rhyme or reason for them.

The only option I found to cure some of the glitches with OS X was to wipe the drive and start over with a fresh install of the OS and programs and or restoring the system from a known Good backup made with either Time Machine or one of the Disk Cloning apps available for OS X.

You could try using Disk Utility to do a repair of permissions that is found on the First Aid tab. That sometimes fixed issues like this.

It seems OS X sometimes forgets disk/file permissions and lock them as system, read only or restricted files stopping apps from opening or you saving files to a specific location.