3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 12:06 PM by Bill Gehrke

A decently fast (if somewhat pricey) large-capacity USB 3.0 portable flash pen drive

RjL190365 Level 4

I recently took possession of a recently-introduced Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 USB 3.0 pen drive in the 128GB capacity. It retails for about $100. (A 256GB version of the same drive retails for about $200.)

I then took the drive through my usual battery of benchmarks and file-transfer tests. I could not attain consistent benchmark numbers with CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64: One run produced a 400+ MB/second read speed result, another run produced a read speed result of only 330-ish MB/second. Similarly, one run produced a write speed result of over 200 MB/second while another run produced a write speed result of only 34 MB/second.

Turning to actual large file copies, copying a single video file to and from the drive produced a 390 MB/second read and 280 MB/second write result.

Finally, I managed to run the PPBM8 (for CC 2014) suite using the Patriot as my export drive. The Disk I/O test revealed that this Patriot drive delivered a write speed result of 236.25 MB/second. This is by far the fastest USB flash-drive result among the pen drives that I've tested. (There might be even faster pen drives, but I could not obtain one of those faster drives at the time I performed the tests.) For comparison, running PPBM8 on a SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 drive produced a write speed result of only about 160 MB/second, yet it still currently costs slightly more per GB than this Patriot drive.

In short, the Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 is a good - if somewhat expensive - USB 3.0 pen drive choice if one has only a laptop PC to edit video on.

• 1. Re: A decently fast (if somewhat pricey) large-capacity USB 3.0 portable flash pen drive
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Randall, thanks for the info

RjL190365 wrote:

Finally, I managed to run the PPBM8 (for CC 2014) suite using the Patriot as my export drive. The Disk I/O test revealed that this Patriot drive delivered a write speed result of 236.25 MB/second. This is by far the fastest USB flash-drive result among the pen drives that I've tested. (There might be even faster pen drives, but I could not obtain one of those faster drives at the time I performed the tests.) For comparison, running PPBM8 on a SanDisk Extreme 64GB USB 3.0 drive produced a write speed result of only about 160 MB/second, yet it still currently costs slightly more per GB than this Patriot drive.

I just happen to have the same SanDisk Extreme 64 GB USB 3.0 drive.  I thought I would test it on both this laptop and my X99 system.  On my 8-core 4.5 GHz system the SanDisk exported that PPBM8 Disk I/O timeline at 180 MB/second write rate.  On my laptop it only scored 110 MB/second write rate..  The X99 test was helped immensely by the CPU and probably also since it has USB 3.0 Boost.  Now with an Samsung 840 Pro SSD and the SATA III interface there is no performance difference.  So I guess my testing is showing differences because of USB variations.

Here is a Windows 8 indication of the read rate which is very good.  I guess I should load a project on it an see how it works in the edit mode.  I rarely use the laptop for any exporting, I take the USB flash drive to my editing desktop for that final step.

Now here is one that needs research!  I performed the same test, same file, on the x99 system I copied and paste the file to my new SM951 SSD and look what happened.  I am going to have to research USB 3.0 Boost.  And believe me I watched the clock (the second time) and it was roughly 25 seconds.

• 2. Re: A decently fast (if somewhat pricey) large-capacity USB 3.0 portable flash pen drive
            RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

All of my testing was done on my Intel i7-4790K main desktop PC with an Intel Z97 chipset and 32GB of DDR3-1600 RAM.

I reran the export of the PPBM8 Disk I/O timeline on all of my 64GB+ flash drives. I did not secure-erase the Patriot drive before I ran the PPBM8 test the first time on that drive.

Here are my updated results:

Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 (128GB): 267 MB/second

SanDisk Extreme (old version, red LED, 64GB): 188 MB/second

SanDisk Extreme (newer version, blue LED, 64GB): 158 MB/second

PNY Turbo USB 3.0 (newer revision, 128GB): <100 MB/second

Micro Center USB 3.0 (64GB): <20 MB/second

I was very, very surprised - and somewhat disappointed - in the results of the newer revisions of the 64GB SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 drive, which is indeed significantly slower than earlier revisions of that same drive.

• 3. Re: A decently fast (if somewhat pricey) large-capacity USB 3.0 portable flash pen drive
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Randall,

I guess we both are victims of "bait and switch".  I had the same problems with my PNY Turbo 128 GB.  When the prices all of a sudden drop from my first PNY to the last I guess you have to expect there is a reason