1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 11:39 AM by Atomic_Boy

After Effects CC 2014 RAM preferences and performance problem

Atomic_Boy

I have a RAM issue with AE CC 2014.

Soon after updating, I began receiving errors that there was not enough RAM for other applications. I checked the preferences, and sure enough “RAM reserved for other applications:” was set to 0. I then changed it to 6G (out of 16) and restarted the application.

Upon checking the preferences again, the preference was set back to 0. I changed it back to 6, OKd it, then went back into preferences immediately to see if the change took and it did still say 6.

But every time I restart the application it chances itself back to 0!

So I did an experiment to see if AE CC (pre 2014) did the same thing. It’s preferences were set to 3G, so I changed it to 6G for continuity, restarted the application and it stayed at 6.

BUT THEN, I found that if I open AE CC 2014 it not only changes its own preference back to 0 but it changes AE CC back to 3!

In a nutshell AE CC 2014 will change the RAM preferences of both itself and AE CC when it launches, back to a prior RAM amount (default?). In the case of itself: 0G of RAM. In the case of AE CC: 3G of RAM.

Also another problem, which I assume for now is connected, AE CC 2014 will slow to an unusable crawl after about 5 minutes of using it. With no exaggeration, in only bounding box view mode, it would take 6-10 seconds to rotate a single solid a few degrees.

Restarting the application, which takes a good 7 minutes, gives about 5 more minutes of work before crawling again. I’ve changed cache disks as well as stopping to use a disk cache completely with no change.

Thank for any help you can provide!

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB Ram, 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB