10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 7:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12

robbyi20792929

I have been using Premiere Elements 12 to put together a movie to burn onto a Blu-ray, but the image that I want to use as the background on the main menu screen keeps getting stretched horizontally.  The weird thing is that it looks fine when I'm just looking at the little preview window in the video editor, but when I click the "Preview Disc" button to see how it will look on a TV, then the image gets stretched.  Also, it doesn't actually reach the top and bottom of the screen the way I want it to, because the menu screen has letterbox bars that I can't get rid of.  I am using the "Secret Agent" template, if that makes any difference.  Is there any way to edit the template and maybe remove the letterbox bars so that it won't stretch my background image, or even just change the aspect ratio of the menu screen so that the bars will be less pronounced?

[Moved from Premiere Pro to the correct forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

What is your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project preset? What computer operating system?

Background video or still - video what resolution or photo what pixel dimensions?

Are you referring to relatively thin black borders at the top and bottom of the replacement 16:9 image?

Will be back with how tos, but above would be helpful for me to fine tune details to be given.

What version of Photoshop Elements and or Photoshop CS or higher do you have?

ATR

• 2. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

I am still working on this one.

If you have to edit the background layer of the movie menu's psd files, you will need Photoshop CS or higher to get into the Layer Set that

contains the background layer that you need to replace.

But, this is a "different" type of Movie Menu design.

The background layer in the Layer Set of the .psd is just a freeze frame of the first frame of a .swf video file that is the real background. That

.swf video file is part of the theme folder content stored on the computer hard drive in the path to be described. Before all else, the removal of that .swf is involved in the solution.

See

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Movie Genre

(AV) Secret Agent

and in the Secret Agent Folder see the .swf files.

To be continued....

ATR

• 3. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
              robbyi20792929 Level 1

I'm not sure what you mean by project preset.  Operating system is Windows 7.

I'm trying to use a still image.  The dimensions are 1752 x 1896.  Although, if it's easier, I also have an alternate image I could use with dimensions of 2454 x 1777.

Yes, the menu screen has black bars like it's letterboxed, even when I use an image with enough pixel height to reach all the way to the top and bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately, I don't have any version of Photoshop, so I don't know if I'll be able to change the background layer of the menu file at all.

• 4. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

Thanks for the reply.

If you cannot edit the .psd of the theme....

Please look at the result when you leave everything as is for Secret Agent and go to Menu Background/Video or Still and specifically try for a replacement with a 1920 x 1080 16:9 image.

I will look at this in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                  robbyi20792929 Level 1

I tried using a 1920 x 1080 image, and a 1280 x 720 image, since that is the resolution of the video I'm working with, and both times I had the same letterbox bars and stretching problem.

• 6. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the Movie Menu customization window showing the extent of the letterbox bars?

I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking an important detail that might help find a workaround.

Any opportunities that you foresee for gaining access to Photoshop CS or higher for edit of the main menu .psd background?

I will go through the menus to determine if there is another I could suggest for your project.

ATR

• 7. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                      robbyi20792929 Level 1

Here is a screenshot of how the 1920 x 1080 image looks in the regular preview window.

falcon screenshot.jpg

It looks fine there, other than the fact that it's not filling up the "screen" because of the bars.  And then, this is how it looks when I click the "Preview Disc" button.

falcon preview.jpg

Notice how it's all stretched out now.

As for getting access to Photoshop, I don't know if I'll be able to.  I'm not sure if anyone I know has it, and I didn't want to buy a whole new program just to edit one image.  My Premiere Elements came with access to a free trial of Photoshop that lasts two weeks, or something.  Do you think I'd be able to just use that to do this one thing?

• 8. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

As far as I know Photoshop CC does not have an Adobe watermark associated with tryout as does Premiere Elements.

And, Photoshop CC is now marketed on a subscription basis.

Right now the only way I can get a full background replacement is to go into the main menu psd and replace its background

layer in the Layer Set with a 1920 x 1080 image.

I have found that will present full in the Movie Menu customization area but if I replace it with another image in Movie Customization those black "trims" are back.

This is what the Secret Agent (HD) looks like with its background layer replaced in the .psd using Photoshop CS5.1 and then the edited theme

opened in the Movie Menu customization area of the opened project

menutogo.JPG

Just do not replace the Menu Background Video or Still that you see in the screenshot and you are OK.

I did a Snipping Tool copy of the background you posted to use for the demo.

We can talk about this some more in the morning.

ATR

• 9. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                          robbyi20792929 Level 1

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I got side tracked by some other stuff.

I finally downloaded the Photoshop trial version, but I've never used it before, so I have no idea what I'm doing.  Do you know if there's a tutorial or something that will tell me how to replace the background layer of the menu?

• 10. Re: Editing menu screens in Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

robbyi

As soon as possible I will try to post a how to specific for the Secret Agent Movie Menu and replacing its main menu background as we have been discussing in this thread.

In the meanwhile for principles involved, please check out a prior blog post I created for replacing the background for the Faux Widescreen theme at the .psd level.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Full Background Replacement Faux Widescreen Disc Menu

And, for practice, try to work through those details to prepare for your own Secret Agent project in which the replacement background will be 1920 x 1080 pixels.

ATR