6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 6:50 AM by Burns922

no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option

Burns922

I import iPhone 6 plus photos to Lightroom 5.7.  If I leave as a jpg format, then I can see the Apple lens profile in the lens correction section of the Develop module.  All is good.

But if I convert the jpg file to a dng file format, and then try to do lens corrections in Develop module, I no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option.  Why is that?

• 1. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
          Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I assume that is because the profile is for a JPEG while the DNG format is a raw file.

Benjamin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, camera profiles are format specific. There really isn't any benefit to converting a JPEG image to DNG. That doesn't magically make it a raw image.

• 3. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
              Burns922 Level 1

Thanks.  I understand what you said about not becoming a raw file.  But I thought that any Lightroom adjustments made to the JPEG in a dng wrapper would be embedded in the file.  And if I ever lost the LR catalog, I would still have all the adjustments embedded in the file when I imported that file into a new LR catalog?  Small benefit but now that I know I lose the lens correction capability, I will probably just keep it in jpg format.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR is a Non destructive editor. Even edits made to JPG images do not change the original image file. Only on Export of an image do those edits get included into the original image giving you a New File. Which you can choose to make a new file name, Add something to the original file name (making a new file) or overwrite the original file.

• 5. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible to write changes to JPEG files as well. You can press Ctrl (or Cmd)/S to accomplish the same thing on JPEG or TIF images that it accomplishes on DNG files. Simply highlight the images that you want the information saved, and do the keyboard stroke.

There is nothing magical about the DNG format as far as writing the information to the file. Lightroom can do the same for original raw images by creating XMP files. And Lightroom can do the same for JPEG and other non-raw file formats. There is an option to automatically write changes to XMP that will affect not only raw images but other file formats as well. If that option is not selected, and you don't use the keyboard shortcut, then the DNG file doesn't have any changes applied to it either.

I seldom if ever use the write metadata changes to the file. I rely on the catalog to retain those changes and export copies when needed.

• 6. Re: no longer see the Apple lens profile as an option
                    Burns922 Level 1

Thanks!  That's perfect.   

Sent from my iPhone