5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 2:39 PM by Normankline

why is CC2014 InDesign not working?

Normankline Level 1

InDesign says that my 12-page ID CC2014 job (1) cannot "copy necessary linked files"? (2) Says it cannot create a package -- no explanation.. All of my  images are tiff and cmyk. ID reports "no problems." All my images were OK on Photoshop CC. But now my print service reports that my PDF of the job all images are low res. I am baffled. My images on PhotoShop CC 2014 are tiff, CMYK, and 200 dpi or more. What's going on? I wish I could go back to CS3, where everything worked OK. What an expensive mess CC is. I tried to reach CC Adobe customer service, but it just circles around to no contact. I am disappointed and feel cheated.

• 1. Re: why is CC2014 InDesign not working?
          MW Design Level 4

With the mention of the PDF having low-res images, combined with the message you are receiving during packaging, it sounds like your image links need updated. If the links cannot find the intended, placed file, ID will use the low-res preview images for creating the PDF.

Another possibility regarding the PDF images is you are using an improper PDF profile and or have changed the down-sampling options.

What PDF profile are you using? Does the link panel show any triangular warning symbols?

Mike

• 2. Re: why is CC2014 InDesign not working?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

IF ID reports no problems it probably isn't missing links preventing packaging, though that certainly would be a problem for PDF export. You might have illegal characters in a file or folder name, though, that would prevent ID from packaging the links.

• 3. Re: why is CC2014 InDesign not working?
              Normankline Level 1

I am very grateful for your comments.

I am using Press version of PDF.

The triangle alert says: "4 process inks; 5 spot inks; 1 duplicate spot inks. CMS is ON."

Peter Spier suggested I might have illegal characters in a file or folder name and absence of packaging I am exporting a low res PDF.

I don't know how to find and fix illegal characters. Suggestions?

• 4. Re: why is CC2014 InDesign not working?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You should use only plain alphanumeric charaters  (no characters with diacritics), hyphen and underscore for filenames. Anything else is likely to be a problem (slashes, colons, percent, asterisk and a few others are guaranteed not to work).

• 5. Re: why is CC2014 InDesign not working?
                  Normankline Level 1

Thanks again. I spent the day Sunday re-doing the publication. At each page, I packaged to see if I could identify the problem. I accumulated about 30 version.  When I got to the end, I discovered one image that seemed to be the culprit. The print service is printing the job, and I am anxious to see the output. But I would think there might be a better way to identify a problem. Am I the only one who wishes he or she could return to a friendlier version of ID? I used CS3 for 5 years or so and never ran into such complexities. Maybe someone knows of a source of trouble shooting information for CC 2014 especially for InDesign.

Again, many thanks for your help.