4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 1:23 AM by gonashvili

Can I use the trial version commercially?

MBakke

I've been hired to create illustrations for a book that will be published by a large publisher (who of course have a license themselves). I, however, only have a trial version. My questions are:

1. Can I create the illustrations and have the publisher legally use them commercially "through their license", or do I need to purchase a license myself?

2. Do I need to purchase a license in order to legally use the trial version commercially in the first place?

The person I spoke with from the publisher knew surprisingly little about this, and I want to make sure.

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Can I use the trial version commercially?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To keep it simpler and just answer your title question... yes, you can use the trial version for commercial purposes.

• 2. Re: Can I use the trial version commercially?
            ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Actually that's not entirely true - it depends on what you want to do with it.  Per Adobe's CC Terms of Use (the software licensing agreement):

(a) Evaluation Version. We may designate the Software or Services as “trial”, “evaluation”, “not for resale”, or other similar designation (“Evaluation Version”). You may install and use the Evaluation Version only during the evaluation period and only for evaluation purposes. You must not use any materials you produce with the Evaluation Version for anything other than non-commercial purposes.

(It was also that way for CS6 and before.)

• 3. Re: Can I use the trial version commercially?
              MBakke Level 1

Thank you for your answer. But then the first point is relevant:

Could I use the trial version to create something, then hand over the work and rights to someone with a license and have them use it commercially through their license? I guess not, as the purpose is commercial use and I monetize on it too. I guess I'll have to ask the publisher to provide a license. Thanks, you guys.

• 4. Re: Can I use the trial version commercially?
                gonashvili Level 1

May I use it for creating presentations, sample works to show to potential clients?

We intend to buy an UV printer and I'd like to make some graphics to test it on different materials and objects so I can show it to people... Its not that I would monetize the work directly, we won't sell it, but still I'd love to know if this is against the Terms of Use....

And also I'd like to use the graphics for our website. We intend to buy Creative suite later on btw.

Thanks a lot for your reply.