4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 1:56 PM by trshaner

Reimporting files to catalog added a "-2" to all my files. Help!

jessesdesk

I had to redo my entire catalog(bad initial planning) and ALL of my .CR2 files have a "-2" at the end of the file name (example: 0001.CR2 is now 0001-2.CR2).  Now whenever i export with custom date and file name, it only adds the number two as the file name.  Is there any way to remove the "-2" within Lightroom 5 to avoid redoing my catalog again?

• 1. Re: Reimporting files to catalog added a "-2" to all my files. Help!
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The -2 would normally be added if there is a file by the same name already in the folder.  Apparently whatever you did to fix the original problem didn’t work how you expected, and you have two copies of all your files, the original one that you abandoned and the new one that is in LR with a -2. 

There was probably a way to redo your organization without duplicating files, but I’m not sure you can do it, now, without starting over, again. 

Just in case there is a path forward that doesn’t require resetting everything, can you describe what your original situation was that required redoing and then how you redid things?  By “what” and “how” I mean where were the files originally, what was wrong with that original organization, and what did you do in LR to hopefully fix things that resulted in adding a -2 to all the filenames?

• 2. Re: Reimporting files to catalog added a "-2" to all my files. Help!
            jessesdesk Level 1

My original idea was to move everything to a NAS drive.  After realizing that LR would loose the file location if the drive was attached direct (USB), I tried to move things back over the network.  The prosses would have taken 3 days to complete and I learned about working with smart previews without the drive being attached at all.  Loosing my previous edits was aceptable so I moved the files directly.  I think the "reimport" of all the files, even though "don't import suspected duplicates" was checked and the photos no longer existed in the original location, LR must have renamed them.  Not very well thought out on my part. 

It looks like I'm stuck with the -2 and need to work with that. 

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Reimporting files to catalog added a "-2" to all my files. Help!
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The normal process of moving things in LR involves using LR to move them via drag-and-drop or moving the files outside of LR to a new location using the same relative file structure and then right-clicking on the top-level folder in LR which will list the files as missing, and relocating the top-level folder(s) in the new location and everything will magically be working, again.  There's no need to reimport things at all.

Did you start a new catalog?

Did you use an Add import or a Copy import?

• 4. Re: Reimporting files to catalog added a "-2" to all my files. Help!
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Asking the obvious.....do you keep a backup copy of all your catalog file(s) and picture files updated on a regular basis? You should never attempt moving files in-mass without a full backup of everything. If your backup copy still has the original filenames it should be a simple matter of restoring everything to their original folder locations and copying back the most current LR catalog file backup.

If everything is now corrupted, unrecoverable, and no backup you can probably use a plugin to batch rename and remove the -2 from the CR2 files. Here's an example:

http://lightroomsolutions.com/complex-file-renaming-in-lightroom-thanks-to-search-and-repl ace/

I suggest reading all comments at the above link before deciding on the best renaming method.