3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2015 3:40 PM by A.T. Romano

NTSC To Pal on present Project

Wesley_210

Hi to you All,

I have made a photo DVD. It has about +/- 2000 pictures.

When I whant to burn it, it says that the settings are in NTSC instead of PAL. (Because I'm from Holland)

When I change this into PAL the film is blury. So I think I have to change the settings before burning the DVD.

When I look at the extra options of the photo's it to says that it is setup for NTSC.

Now is my question. Where and how can I change this.

I hope that I don't have to make a new project because I have change a lot of pictures in the project.

I work with Premiere Elements 13 on Windows.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: NTSC To Pal on present Project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Wesley_210

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows presumed 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. If not, please do so.

Do you confirm that your destination is

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD?

Let us first determine what has been set for the project preset for this project....to do that, please go to

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what the readings are for

Editing Mode

Timebase

Frame Size

Pixel Aspect Ratio

even if the field look greyed out.

What are the pixel dimensions of your 2000 photos? What is the total duration of the Timeline content?

When you get to the burn dialog (DVD disc in burner tray) what are the readings

for Space Required and Bitrate just before you hit the Burn button to produce your

PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. And, what type of DVD disc are you using

4.7 GB/120 minutes or 8.5 GB/240 minutes?

We will be watching for your details and results when you schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...

Once the project preset is established, in Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you cannot change it without starting a new project.

• 2. Re: NTSC To Pal on present Project
            Wesley_210 Level 1

Hi Romano,

Thanks again for your answer.

I work on Windows 8.1 64BIT with Prmerie Elements 13.1.

Here are the other answers.

Yes. In the publish + share menu i use the DVD preset: PAL_Widesecreen_Dolby_DVD

Editing mode: HD1080i (greyed out)

Timebase: 29.97 fps (greyed out)

Framesize: 1920*1080

Pixel aspect ratio: scquar pixels 1.0 (greyed out)

Pixel dimension form pictures: 3648*2736

The total time is 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Just before burning I use the 4.7GB/120 Minutes DVD option

The space required is 4.37GB en bitrate is 6.05MBps

If I change it to 8.5GB DVD the bitrate becomes 8.00MBps and 5.75GB is requierd than.

But this option has no effect for the DVD result.

Thank in advance

• 3. Re: NTSC To Pal on present Project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Wesley_210

Thanks for the reply with the details mentioned earlier.

This is the plan which seems to point to a new project with different project settings, dealing with many 3648 x 2736 (4:3) photos in a

16:9 project, and considering changing disc type.

Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings change the project preset PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25. OK out of there.

In the New Project dialog, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected

Project Settings on This Project". OK out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from

where you drag the photos to the Timeline.

Tip: You can order the photos sequentially in a folder on the hard drive and then import the folder into the program instead

of individual photos. When the folder is dragged to the Timeline, the photos will present on the Timeline in the folder order.

The fact that you have 4:3 photos going into a 16:9 project needs to be addressed.

a. crop the photos beforehand to 16:9 - and, if the photo pixel dimension x number of photos is compromising your computer

resources and results, then resize to 1920 x 1080 with the crop being 16:9.

or

b. Scale each in the Edit area space which is 16:9 as per the project setting. For batch considerations, you could scale the first, copy, select the rest, and

then do a Paste Effects and Adjustments.

When you get to Publish+Share/Disk/DVD disc use the preset PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD using a DVD Double Layer Single Sided

disc (8.5 GB/240 min). In reality, that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB. The end product is characterized by a variable bitrate which means that the bitrate will not always be the 8.00 Mbps or 6.05 Mbps that you see in the burn dialog before the burn to disc.

Two major keys in the above

For sharpest of photos in end product

In Change Settings change the project preset PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25

Greater sharpness of end product photos has been found and confirmed by many who have used the DSLR settings for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

For smoother workflow

Crop the photos beforehand to 16:9 - and, if the photo pixel dimension x number of photos is compromising your computer

resources and results, then resize to 1920 x 1080 with the crop being 16:9.

See if you see any improvement in the end result. I have not seen it reported in a while, but there were scattered reports in

Premiere Elements history where consistent blurry/not sharp image in end product were corrected by uninstall/reinstall of the program.

Please le me know if you need clarification on any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR