8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 8:25 PM by station_two

olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)

peter schwalm

Olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support in camera raw (pse 13).

I cannot open an .orf file from the em-5 mark ii even after installing latest updates for pse13 / camera raw.

Do I have to wait for support to be added by adobe / olympus, or can I do anything against myself.

Thank you,

Peter

• 1. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do have to wait, yes.  The last updates to Adobe software came out in mid-December and the camera was not commercially available until some weeks or months after then.  There is software from Olympus, and perhaps a few others companies that will work, but nothing that will do Adobe rendering, yet.  You could use the Olympus software to create TIFs from your raw images and edit those in Photoshop Elements or just shoot RAW+JPG and edit the JPGs until there is an update from Adobe.

I would expect the next update to Adobe software to have support and it's been about 3 months since the last update so one would normally be out about now; however, I think Adobe is actually going to release an entire new version of Lightroom and the camera-raw plug-in with matching functionality, perhaps synchronized with a new version of PS, and if so there are many more things to get working properly before an update can be released.  It's possible that updates were planned by this time, and there have been too many bugs to get ironed out and maybe Adobe would release at least a beta DNG Converter that understands the new cameras so people can do something while waiting for the main releases of the new software, but that is more my speculation than anything Adobe has said.

Here is what Eric Chan, and Adobe Camera Raw Engineer, said recently, about the prospects of supporting your camera or any newly released camera:

2015-03-13_003243.png

• 2. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
            luisabdoncifuentes

It is very strange that big manufactures like Olympus and big software companies like Adobe can not cooperate to provide support for new cameras as long as they hit the market. I would assume that the format for M5-II raw files had been defined months before the camera launch. Why such a delay? 

• 3. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)

Adobe has a 3-4 month release schedule.   Adobe doesn’t get production (non-beta) cameras more than 3-4 months ahead of time, so there’s always some delay, sometimes a few days sometimes up to the 3-4 months, depending on the timing of when Adobe can get a camera and the next release is due out.

• 4. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
                peter schwalm Level 1

I suppose what ssprengel says is the truth. But it remains strange, that Adobe and Olympus cannot cooperate in a better way.

And ,,,

1) one does not need a camera to program the raw file software component for a camera. One will only some raw files from this camera type and the raw file specification.

2) Olympus should also be interested in a better cooperation. Otherwise they should put a notice into their advertisement: "if you are using Adobe products, wait half a year before before buying this camera."

3) I'm using only Photoshop Elements - I'm not a professional user. Nevertheless I prefer working with raw format and camera raw in a first step. I have just upgraded my PSE for about 80€, and I would not be happy if I would be forced spend another 80€ to be able to work with my newly bought e-m5 mark ii.

4) Perhaps Adobe should put their camera specific into plugins, which could be downloadad and updated separately from camera raw itself.

• 5. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)

Companies work on things up until the last minute—there is no 3-4 months where they just sit on their hands waiting for the events of the world to go by and other companies to catch up and be ready so the release of the camera and the third-party software are synchronized.

Camera Raw is a plug-in and it is not necessary to update PSE, itself, to add camera support. 

I would guess the PSE13 will eventually work with ACR 9 when it is released and at that point the E-M5 Mark II would be supported natively, unless Adobe decides to release an installer that also adds ACR 8.8 to PSE, not just PS.

• 6. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
                    RyanHulvat

So I was frustrated with the same issue. I had expected LR 6 to be out by now and solve this problem. Adobe was updated ACR to accommodate the RAW files, but not for lightroom. You can open the files in PS CC then use them in PS, or do a batch RAW conversion using ACR in PS CC and save the files as DNGs. This seems to be the best work around until the next LR update. Come on Adobe. You have the secret sauce for the ORF files, update LR 5 to make these work.

Ryan

ryanhulvat.com

• 7. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
                      Level 5

peter schwalm wrote:

…or can I do anything against myself…

You have already done something against yourself:   You bough a camera without first researching whether your software of choice supports it. 

• 8. Re: olympus e-m5 mark ii raw file support missing in camera raw (pse 13)
                        Level 5

RyanHulvat wrote:

…Come on Adobe. You have the secret sauce for the ORF files, update LR 5 to make these work…

No one from the Lightroom team ever reads this forum.  Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plug-in,  Lightroom has its own, toally separate and independent forum.