10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 8:18 AM by trshaner

Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?

ajhuff

I am somewhere between a serious hobbyist and pro just based on shear number of photos I take and because in shoot in RAW. I've been using Elements for years. I'm dedicating my year to upping my game process wise at least.

I added Bridge but it doesn't play well with Elements 11. I tried Lightroom 4 in the past and hated it. And now Adobe has both Photoshop and Lightroom available for $10/month. What to do what to do? I could stick with Elements. I could add Lightroom 5 and tweak it for Elements. I could abandon Elements and switch to Lightroom 5 plus Photoshop CC. What kind of workflow do you use?

Last night  I started trialing Lightroom 5 and it does not have face recognition like Elements 11 does. I'm not sure I can live without face recognition.

Today I tried adding 275 photos to the map in Lightroom. I couldn't figure it out. After 20 minutes I gave up. This is another feature that I use heavily in Elements 11.

I thought Bridge or Lightroom would be the way to go but both seem to be coming up short. I go through about 500 pics a week so I need something to improve my workflow.

Thanks,

-AJ

• 1. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I Suggest waiting for Lightroom 6 and give it a trial run. It's been rumored that face recognition will be included and should be released sometime this month.

• 2. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
            ajhuff Level 1

Wow that would be great! Thank you so much!

• 3. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
              dj_paige Level 9

I tried Lightroom 4 in the past and hated it.

The overall behavior and user interface — the big picture — is not likely to be significantly different in LR 6 than in LR 4. Yes, there will be new features in LR6, but these are details, the big picture will not change, and the user interface will not change in any large way.

If you "hated" LR 4, the odds are you will hate LR 6 for the same reason. So let me give you some advice.

If you are going to try Lightroom again, you absolutely MUST view some tutorial videos and perhaps even read some books about how Lightroom works and how to use it effectively. If you don't do this, you will most likely "hate" LR 6, and you will have no one to blame for your disappointment/unhappiness with LR 6. We have seen over and over again, in this forum and other forums, that people who take the time to learn Lightroom like it a whole lot more (and many, like me, love it) than people who never spend any time to learn Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                ajhuff Level 1

Well that is excellent advice. I got to this point after reading Real World Camera Raw by Jeff Schewe. In that book even though there are references to Lightroom, it is all about Bridge. The book is from 2011 so it is not archaic. But what I've read online from Scott Kelby says Lightroom is superior. And since I can't get Bridge to play nicely with Elements I thought I would revisit Lightroom again. So far I am not liking it, as you predicted. But I haven't given up yet. This morning I went to Barnes & Noble looking for a Lightroom guidebook. But they had none. So I will explore online and give it some good effort. No face recognition is a biggy for me though. Thanks for the reply!

• 5. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                  dj_paige Level 9

And since I can't get Bridge to play nicely with Elements I thought I would revisit Lightroom again.

Well, it would sure help if you were specific about what is happening or not happening, because it is entirely possible that the same problem will exist (or will not exist) with Lightroom. And its entirely possible that the problem is easily fixed (or not).

But let me ask a very pointed question. Why do you want to use two different photo management programs (Elements and Bridge; or Lightroom and Bridge) that don't really talk to each other, and which do essentially the same tasks but in different ways. Wouldn't you be better off using only a single program to do these things? I would answer yes ... you would be better off using a single program for photo management. Compared to a workflow that uses only a single photo management program, a workflow that uses two photo management programs requires more work and can easily result in confusion when the two programs have different information, and possible failure of your photo management efforts.

• 6. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                    ajhuff Level 1

In Elements I can open and edit raw files but it seems limited on batch processing. Bridge seems much better at batch procesing but I can't open Raw files without a proper parent program which is not Elements. I think Photoshop CC is. Light room has the ability to process batches and open raw but would at times still need a version of Photoshop at times which would be Elements or photoshopCC. I think. From what I understand Lightroom is almost stand alone but not completely stand alone. But I'm still trying to figure Lightroom out.

• 7. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                      dj_paige Level 9

From what I understand Lightroom is almost stand alone but not completely stand alone.

If, by this you mean that Lightroom can handle almost the entire RAW workflow from the time the photos come out of the camera to cataloging and editing and distribution of those photos, then I agree. (If you mean something else, then say what you mean)

If you need additional editing power, then Lightroom incorporates the idea of using an external editor (which could be Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or even non-Adobe software) within the Lightroom workflow.

But I'm still trying to figure Lightroom out.

Sometimes, people use words that wind up meaning something else when read by a person across the internet. Perhaps that is what happened here. But, to take your words literally ... let me say ... do not try to figure Lightroom out. Many many people in these and other forums have tried and failed, or tried and come up with rather incorrect understanding of what Lightroom does. Please, I'm begging you, view the video tutorials that I linked to, do not try to figure Lightroom out yourself.

• 8. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                        Steveatesh Level 1

I agree with this and the comment about reading up.

I've had LR5 since only January but already it's my mainstay for processing RAW photography as a hobbyist.

Up to now since buying it I have not needed a pixel editor like Elements or Photoshop at all and I'm slowly getting to grips with the collection side and photo management, as well as the Develop module. A pixel editor was all I used before LR, but not since!

I Used the Classroom in A Book series and it was worth every penny as a reference on the desk.

I Believe that lR6 will make it even better with the rumour of HDR and Panoramic photos being added to the mix.

So my workflow is import into LR, assign a key word or two at import, run through them and delete the obviously poor ones, then start the develop of the ones I want, then upload to Flickr directly and make sure collections are updated.

The collection aspect side was made much easier with the book to lead me.

decide what you want then buy the software to support it, rather than allow the software to dictate your workflow.

• 10. Re: Workflow and Adobe Products. Is Lightroom the best way to go?
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ajhuff wrote:

In Elements I can open and edit raw files but it seems limited on batch processing. Bridge seems much better at batch procesing but I can't open Raw files without a proper parent program which is not Elements.

You might try posting your PSE questions here:

Photoshop Elements

There are also PS and Adobe Bridge forums:

Photoshop General Discussion

Bridge General Discussion

I've been using PS since 1994 (v3.0)  and Lightroom since 2007 (v1.0). In my opinion, for digital photography work LR is the best tool for organizing, editing, and creating output of your camera image files. For more complex edits LR's 'Edit In Photoshop' feature quickly gets your image  inside PS (or PSE) with your LR edits for further processing. If you talk to some of the other PS "old-timers" in the PS forum many will tell you LR is for amateurs and PS with Bridge is for "serious" work. I guess it depends on your preference and how experienced you are with PS and Bridge. I use all three (PS, Bridge, LR), but 95% of my work is done using only LR.

As dj_paige has already mentioned, you'll be disappointed if you jump in and use LR without watching and reading the many LR tutorials available. The LR Forum is full of posts from LR beginners who simply haven't gotten a clue on how to use the program's tools. As you said, "I've been using Elements for years. I'm dedicating my year to upping my game process wise at least." If you're willing to put in some time to learn how to use LR you won't be disappointed.