5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2007 9:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in Fireworks 8

JSEVonda
      Scaling graphics with a batch process. You can alter the height and width of images being exported using the Scale option in the Batch Process dialog box. To set scaling options for batch-processed files:

Select Scale from the Batch Options list and click Add. In the Scale pop-up menu, select an option:

Scale to Fit Area makes images fit proportionally with the maximum width and height range you specify.

If you have chosen either Scale to Size or Scale to Fit Area in the Scale pop-up menu, you can also choose to scale only
      those documents that are currently larger than the target size. To do so, select the Only Scale Documents Currently Larger
      Than Target Size option. Click Next to continue the batch process. For information on completing the batch process,

This routine us not working as described: It is only modifying files larger than the dimension I wanted, whereas in the Fireworks MX, it would upsize smaller images to this requirement. Just FYI, we did not have the box checked to only apply to documents that are currently larger than the target size.

IS THIS A BUG IN THE FIREWORKS 8 ???

This is one of the primary reasons we use this software

ALL RESPONSES WELCOME, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT WILL FIX THIS ISSUE !!!!

JSEVonda
        • 1. Re: Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in   Fireworks   8
          Level 7

You're right, it doesn't work. I even tried to add in an extra step for
          exporting and the files were not created. And Scale to Size doesn't even
          give you the check box, although it says it's available in the help
          files. Ironically, you can scale to larger dimensions using Scale to
          Size, although you can end up with distorted files.

That said, upsampling files is not really a good idea or recommended,
          because the image quality can suffer greatly when you resize a small
          image to larger dimensions.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

JSEVonda wrote:
          > Scaling graphics with a batch process. You can alter the height and width of
          > images being exported using the Scale option in the Batch Process dialog box.
          > To set scaling options for batch-processed files:
          >
          > Select Scale from the Batch Options list and click Add. In the Scale pop-up
          > menu, select an option:
          >
          > Scale to Fit Area makes images fit proportionally with the maximum
          > width and height range you specify.
          >
          > If you have chosen either Scale to Size or Scale to Fit Area in the
          > Scale pop-up menu, you can also choose to scale only
          > those documents that are currently larger than the target size. To do
          > so, select the Only Scale Documents Currently Larger
          > Than Target Size option. Click Next to continue the batch process. For
          > information on completing the batch process,
          >
          > This routine us not working as described: It is only modifying files larger
          > than the dimension I wanted, whereas in the Fireworks MX, it would upsize
          > smaller images to this requirement. Just FYI, we did not have the box checked
          > to only apply to documents that are currently larger than the target size.
          >
          > IS THIS A BUG IN THE FIREWORKS 8 ???
          >
          > This is one of the primary reasons we use this software
          >
          > ALL RESPONSES WELCOME, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT WILL FIX THIS ISSUE !!!!
          >
          > JSEVonda
          >
          • 2. Re: Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in   Fireworks     8
            Level 7
            I wonder if they took that functionality out because of the obvious
            problem when upsampling an image.

Jim Babbage wrote:
            >
            > You're right, it doesn't work. I even tried to add in an extra step for
            > exporting and the files were not created. And Scale to Size doesn't even
            > give you the check box, although it says it's available in the help
            > files. Ironically, you can scale to larger dimensions using Scale to
            > Size, although you can end up with distorted files.
            >
            > That said, upsampling files is not really a good idea or recommended,
            > because the image quality can suffer greatly when you resize a small
            > image to larger dimensions.
            >
            • 3. Re: Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in   Fireworks       8
              Level 7
              Alex Mariño wrote:
              > I wonder if they took that functionality out because of the obvious
              > problem when upsampling an image.
              >
              > Jim Babbage wrote:
              >>
              >> You're right, it doesn't work. I even tried to add in an extra step
              >> for exporting and the files were not created. And Scale to Size
              >> doesn't even give you the check box, although it says it's available
              >> in the help files. Ironically, you can scale to larger dimensions
              >> using Scale to Size, although you can end up with distorted files.
              >>
              >> That said, upsampling files is not really a good idea or recommended,
              >> because the image quality can suffer greatly when you resize a small
              >> image to larger dimensions.
              >>

They probably did, but seems kinda silly to leave the check box there if
              that is the case.

--
              ---
              • 4. Re: Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in Fireworks 8
                JSEVonda Level 1
                Well if that is the case, they should have notified the users to tell them, as that is one of the primary reasons we even use the product. On that note, from reading above replies, the upsampling did not degrade any image quality if you simply chose "custom", as it allowed you to set the image quality to 100% of a jpeg, during the batch routine, if you so desired.

That said, what other product will do the task of "upsampling" as you call it, in a batch format, as I do not want to have to go thru over 1000 images each week and upsize them one at a time.

JSEVonda
                • 5. Re: Batch Procedure Not Working For Image Resizing in   Fireworks   8
                  Level 7
                  I agree the option should not be there if it doesn't work. Quite
                  honestly, I think the FW team missed it in the last upgrade.

And you're talking about more than just scaling - you are most likely
                  including an export command as well, this was not indicated in your
                  original post. Keep in mind your scaling occurs BEFORE any saving of the
                  file at any new optimization setting. Maintaining a low compression
                  would help, yes, but I'm not referring to quality loss through
                  compression, I'm referring to quality loss through data extrapolation
                  (interpolation?). When you resample an image to a large pixel count, you
                  are asking the software to use an algorithm to create pixel data that
                  did not exist in the original file. Whether it's Photoshop or Fireworks,
                  quality loss will happen in a bitmap file. In short, you're asking the
                  software to make an educated guess about the data in these new pixels.

As for your end results - you did not indicate the original size of your
                  files (pixel dimensions), nor how much you are upsampling. If your
                  files are not being upsampled too greatly, and/or there is a great deal
                  of pixel data to begin with and/or the final upsized images are not
                  really large then it's possible that you do not notice any significant
                  loss in quality.

My assumption was you were working with small files in terms of
                  resolution. Generally, though, web images are not large to begin with
                  and do not have a huge pixel count, so resizing them upwards would
                  usually be noticeable.

All I am pointing out is that the file would not have the same quality
                  as the original, even if the option was working. Whether that difference
                  in quality is noticeable . . .

For example, I took an image that was 72 x 54 pixels, resized it 200 %
                  to 144x108 pixels. Bigger image, but quality is low and noticeable.

I do the same thing with a file that is 1024 x 768 and I can still see
                  some loss, but it doesn't look quite as bad. IT is however, noticeably
                  more blurry than the original.

And now how about a possible FW solution? ;-)

Open ONE file in FW
                  Set your jpeg quality to 100 (Type the value, do NOT use the slider)
                  Go to Modify > Transform > Numeric Transform
                  Set your new image size to the desired dimensions
                  Click OK
                  Go to Modify > Canvas > Fit Canvas
                  Find those three steps in the History panel and save it as a custom
                  command.

You will now be able to access this step in the Batch Process Wizard, in
                  the Commands menu. or in the Commands menu in FW.

Add your other batch steps. You do not need the export option because we
                  set that up in the custom command, but you might want to use the Rename
                  operation.
                  Click Next
                  Choose an export directory if you wish
                  Save the script to create a complete custom command that handles both
                  sizing and exporting and file renaming and a custom location for saving
                  the file.

This one script can then be used either from the Batch Process Wizard OR
                  from the Commands Menu in FW.

One note, if you choose a custom location for the files to be saved,
                  that directory gets written into the command, so whenever the batch is
                  run - that is where the new files will go.

As for other programs, Photoshop comes to mind. I'm sure there are
                  other, specialized batch processing programs out there which could do
                  exactly what you want.

HTH!

--
                  ---

JSEVonda wrote:
                  > Well if that is the case, they should have notified the users to tell them, as
                  > that is one of the primary reasons we even use the product. On that note, from
                  > reading above replies, the upsampling did not degrade any image quality if you
                  > simply chose "custom", as it allowed you to set the image quality to 100% of a
                  > jpeg, during the batch routine, if you so desired.
                  >
                  > That said, what other product will do the task of "upsampling" as you call it,
                  > in a batch format, as I do not want to have to go thru over 1000 images each
                  > week and upsize them one at a time.
                  >
                  > JSEVonda
                  >