14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 7:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Problem with export of .wmv Videos

markusm89433240

Hey

If I want to publish a video, which is only 30 MB and actually I work only with small things (some texts, a few pictures, etc.), the exported video will be about 400MB (i choose the profil Computer/WMV). Is there a way to publish the video uncompressed, so the video has round about the same size as as the video i imported?

Thank You for the Help

Markus

• 1. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure your original video is only 30 meg? What model of camcorder is it coming from? A 30 MB camcorder video would be less than 10 seconds long.

That said, you can't output an uncompressed WMV file because, by nature, WMV files are compressed with the WMV codec. But, even if you did, it would be LARGER than the standard WMV you've output, so you wouldn't accomplish your goald.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish in making your videos the same size? There may be a better way.

• 2. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
            markusm89433240 Level 1

First Thank you for your answer.

Yes I am sure. It is a recording of a Webex conference (like Skype). There is a .arf file you can convert with a tool to wmv. This wmv File is approximately 25 Minutes long and round about 30MB.

In this conference is shown a powerpoint presentation, so there are many freeze frames and the video is very small.

When I want to edit this video and want to publish it, the video is approximately 400MB.

We need a minor video, because we upload this to our server and when the video is so big thats unnecessary space we give away.

In my opinion this is disproportionate.

Hope you can give me help about this issue. Maybe i have to install an extra codec? Or do you have special settings i can test?

• 3. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If your 25 minute video is only 30 mb, why are you re-compressing it? you're not going to get it smaller?

You may want to look into a program like Handbrake or a Divx which is designed for producing very tiny videos.

• 4. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                A.T. Romano Level 7

markusm

Supplemental comment....

What are you doing....

1. Taking your ".arf" file (30 MB) from Webex and converting it to wmv in a 3rd party converter and getting a 400 MB file and wanting to know how to get a smaller wmv file size in that particular situation which has nothing to do with Premiere Elements?

or

2. Are you taking a 30 MB wmv file from your convertyer into Premiere Elements and saying that the smallest file size that you can get from Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media is 400 MB?

I will assume "2" for now...

What is the bitrate for the wmv file that you are importing into Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media?

What is the Average Video Bitrate in Kbps units (kilobits per second) under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset the you have

selected for the wmv export from Premiere Elements? Had you used the default 1500 Kbps?

Note: If you original bitrate is 16 Kbps second, then lower the Advanced Settings/Average Video Bitrate to 16 kbps or something less

than the default which appears to be 1500 Kbps.

Please let us know if the above considerations apply to your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

markusm

Add On to my post 4.....

I found the following to get a better idea of your workflow from Webex onward

https://www.intercall.com/files/wx_reced_ug.pdf

1. Is your .arf file really a WRF file?

Please refer to Chapter 13, page 58 in the above link for the following....

In the WMV Options, there is an option for Bitrate...in the example, it shows 1080 KB/s.

What value do you actually have there in your work?

3. There seems to be some bitrate units confusion between what is shown in the Webex WMV Options dialog(1080 KB/s)

KB/s = kilobytes per second, but the article goes on to describe the bitrate "kilobits per second".

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                    markusm89433240 Level 1

Because I have to do some work on the video.

That is a possibility to use another tool, but i do not like it, because in my opinion Adobe Premiere Elements has to be able to do this.

• 7. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                      markusm89433240 Level 1

Thank You

I will test ist with my colleague, who has this problem. Afther that I write again.

• 8. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                        markusm89433240 Level 1

Hi,

No My .ARF File is an ARF File not a WRF File

Here i will try to explain our way of working

1. We have a ARF File

2. With The tool from Webex we can convert it into WMV/MP4

Here the details of the MP4 Video:

The MP4 has a good quality, so I use this MP4 for the editing.

3. Here is my question: Which settings can you recommend? I think a realistic size of a 17Min Video is ~100 - 120MB.

4. I already tried this setting:

But the quality of the video is not comparable with the Source. It's too bad.

5. I tried this:

When I do this, it seems that the video is a bit pulsating and unsteady.

Do you have any tips for me?

Thank You:)

• 9. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

markus

I will not comment on your choice of .arf to .mp4 file. Instead the following workflow is for you to explore for the mp4 file that you describe

.mp4

1024 x 768 (4:3)

Bitrate = 30 kbps (kilobits per second)

File Size = 30.6 kilobits (based on the bitrate 30 kbps x duration 17 minutes (1020 seconds) of the file as shown in your MP4 properties screenshot)

Frame Rate = assumed to be 30 progressive frames per second (NTSC setup) rather than 25 progressive frames per second (PAL setup).

Your project preset is for 16:9 whereas your MP4 is 4:3.

So set the project preset manually for a 4:3 project preset.

File Menu/New/Project

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

When you get to export and want a Windows Media export, consider

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = WMV 720 x 480 4x3 29.97

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset customize the preset for what you want....example if you want a 1024 x 768 file....

WMVWorkflow.JPG

If it is your intent to convert your 4:3 into 16:9, then there are other factors to be discussed next.

Please review, consider, check my calculations and assumptions, and then we can discuss what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I have found some .arf and .wrf information.

WebEx Player: Watch, share, and edit WebEx recordings.

• 10. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                            markusm89433240 Level 1

Thank You for the settings. I am really a newbie at this topic.

With the settings you gave me i had a bad quality of the video, so i set the Bitrate to 2.000.

Now I have a good quality and the size is:

But how can i know which project i have to take.

What means

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

?

• 11. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

markusm

Thanks for the reply with the good news that you have found project settings and export settings

that are working for you.

I started you with the bitrate of 30 kbps (extremely low) since that appeared to the bitrate of the original. Setting of the bitrate

needs exploration and experimentation to gain a good compromise between the quality and file size. You did well

in finding one that was appropriate for your video.

Premiere Elements is designed to set the project settings automatically based on its recognition of certain

properties of your source when it is the first video dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes the program

cannot do that. When it cannot, it gives you its default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD

1080p25. In this type of situation , then you need to know the properties of your video and find a project preset description

that matches those properties and set the project preset yourself (manually, File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings).

When I selected the FLIP project preset, I looked for the following...

1. You had a 4:3 source (1024 x 768), so I looked for an Adobe 4:3 project preset

2. But, besides 4:3, I wanted progressive frame rate of 29.97 frames per second. So,

I looked at the 4:3 project presets that offered that property and found FLIP selected as closest.

The key to the FLIP (described for 640 x 480) was the 4:3 frame aspect ratio here and not your 1024 x 468 values.

The setting of the export settings is a different matter. And, you have a lot of opportunity for customizing a export

preset under the preset's Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, and, if applicable, Multiplexer Tab. The introductory

guideline might be, if you have 4:3 project, then use 4:3 export settings. If you have 16:9 project, use 16:9 export

settings. Lots to talk about. If you have a specific video in mind other than this present one, please post its description, and I will work through the

project settings and export settings as an example and post them.

Best wishes with your video editing projects.

ATR

Add On...FLIP is a camera brand, and  Adobe describes the settings under FLIP category for video from one of those cameras. But, that does not

prevent you from using a FLIP project preset for your purpose if the description of your video properties

matches the description of the FLIP project preset.

• 12. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                                markusm89433240 Level 1

Hi ATR,

OK. Thanks for your support

First we want to edit only Webex Videos with 4:3.

Maybe in the future there will be more Videos, but then i know where I have to look and where I have to set the right configuration for the export.

You helped us a lot.

Wish you a nice weekend

Markus

• 13. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                                  thedomfather

ATR,

I'm having some Webex issues of my own and wondered if you could help?

Webex records video into an ARF format, which I have to convert with their software to an MP4 (WMV & FLV are also options). The issue is we are presenting and recording in an HD ratio, which is fine when viewing the ARF in the Webex player.  But if I want to get this file to YouTube, I have to convert it and the Webex player only exports to 1024x768, which leaves a 192 pixel high blue/green bar at the bottom of the converted MP4s.

Their support suggests this, but I've done a multitude of tests, and it still has the bar at the bottom.

http://kb.webex.com/WBX53556 

So what I do is create an HD project in Premiere with a ration of 1024x576, then I move the video down, cropping out the bar at the bottom.

This all sounded good in theory and was working as it should be, but after the export I have some major generation loss.  The quality is far inferior.  The text in the video seems to jump up and down very rhythmically 2 or 3 pixels each way making it almost unreadable.

Is there anything you'd do differently or have any advice?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 14. Re: Problem with export of .wmv Videos
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

thedomfather

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running? Assuming Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for now...

The YouTube player is 16:9, so you are going to have problems in the display there with any 4:3 upload which you would have with 1024 x 768.

Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced) - YouTube Help

If your ARF to MP4 is 1024 x 768 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, I would suggest the following

1. 1280 x 720 upload

a. Open Premiere Elements to Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project, and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

2. 1920 x 1080 upload

a. Open Premiere Elements to Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size

b. Go to File Menu/New/Project, and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Then import your 1024 x 768 4:3 into the 16:9 project Expert workspace using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline Video track 1/Audio track 2.

Click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box with handles. Then, using one of the bounding box handles, scale the image so that it fits the monitor space just to the point where there are no black borders. Scaling and positioning opportunities should be available in the process.

Then export to file or upload to YouTube using the Premiere Elements' built in YouTube feature if you have met the file size/duration requirements.

Please review, consider, and then let us know if any of the above works for you. If not, please supply more details and we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR