10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 11:05 PM by Stavros F.

Force render of ALL the Timeline?

Stavros F. Level 1

I (mainly) edit AVCHD 1080i50 footage, and since my Mac is not very powerful (dual core processor, 5+ year old), I would like to be able to render ALL the timeline (not only the red-labeled clips), so that I can work with the rendered footage. Is there a way to do this? I currently use some sort of "proxy" videos.

I am using Premiere Elements 9, and Mac mini (late 2009) with OS X 10.10.2.

• 1. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

The program will not Timeline render Timeline content that does not have the red line over it (the program telling you that you are not getting

the best possible preview at playback of that content in the Edit area monitor).

If you have a mix of Timeline unrendered (red line) and rendered (green line) Timeline, just the Timeline render command will hit the unrendered files.

(Look at the total number of frames in the Rendering dialog in that situation.)

But, if you want to force the program to render a file that is already giving the best possible preview (no red line over content), then do a minor edit to that file

to unrender it (back to the red line situation). Then the program will Timeline render it.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
            Stavros F. Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for your reply!

I would like to enter ALL footage, ie: footage that has no line (red or green) as well. What kind of minor edit do you propose that will not alter the final result, but will allow me to render ALL the timeline?

Regards,

Stavros

• 3. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

The no colored line over the content also is a message from the program telling you that you have the best possible preview. It is associated with you bringing to the Timeline a file whose properties match the description of the project preset (project settings). Once you edit that video it will go into the red to green sequence where the program indicates "not best preview" or "best preview".

But, as for forced rendering for a file with no colored line or green line over its content...what I do is right click the file, select Time Stretch, and set the Speed % to 99. Here I am not after a Speed % change, rather just forcing the program to recognize an edit of no consequence and to make available Timeline rendering.

Timeline rendering is just a preview feature. It does not fix anything. But, I have discovered that, in certain circumstances, this "force Timeline rendering" can significantly improve preview playback for the rendered file that was forced into and out of an unrendered state.

ATR

• 4. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                Stavros F. Level 1

Interesting approach! I will try it!

Some additional info: what I do now is this: I convert ALL my footage from 1920X1080i50 (25 fps) to 480X270 files with the same name (including extension). The first files are in a folder named (eg) footage and the second ones footage-proxy. When I want to edit my project I rename the two folders so I force PRE9 to use the small files. When it is time to export, I rename again the folders to force PRE9 to use the original files.

• 5. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                  Stavros F. Level 1

Additional question on your method: this 99% change will not change the final result (export) from this clip (from original 100%)? I would not like my video to be faster, slower etc (even 1%)!

• 6. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros F

Still think this is unnecessary unless for the special case I cited previously.........but stretching my imagination, how about this edit to force the rendered clip into an unrendered state instead of Time Stretch Speed % = 99.

To the clip, apply Effects Mask (Clip Menu/Effects Mask and then the apply option but to not apply an effect to the Effect Mask).

That will put a duplicate on the video track directly above the original (original and duplicate will be grouped). There should be a red line

over that content.

Timeline render your Timeline content.

When the process is completed, right click each of the clips that had the Effects Mask blank applied, select Ungroup.

Then delete the duplicate.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 7. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros

Back in post 4 you mention proxy method in your workflow.

You may be interested in post 72 in the older huge thread in which I was involved when visiting another forum.

PE7 Low On System Memory message - Page 8 - Elements Village

ATR

• 8. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                        Stavros F. Level 1

To begin with, I try the 99% method, but with a 99.99% (that is: 99 point 99 per cent) time stretch, which leaves duration the same!

• 9. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stavros

I still do not believe nor have I found a problem with Time Stretch Speed % 99 for the forced Timeline rendering.

No slow motion effect.

ATR

• 10. Re: Force render of ALL the Timeline?
                            Stavros F. Level 1

Yes, I suppose you are correct! Anyway (either 99 or 99.99%), thank you for your great advice (using 99% time stretch to force render for ALL timeline)! I only used 99.99% because it left an identical timestamp (duration), even in the smallest divisions of 1 second (at least as displayed at PRE9). But, I cannot doubt that in practice 99% would have the same result!