5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 6:55 AM by MW Design

Indesign, XML export and NITF

Johanb

As producer of a weekly newspaper, I need advice as to generate xml from Indesign CC (Mac) to NITF standards, as preferred by my digital distributor. That includes dividing an article - that may be formatted in just one text frame - into two equal elements: One for headline, byline etc., and one for the body of text. Is there any way of doing this without altering the original layout, intended for printing? I would rather not having to break the one frame up into two just for this purpose – for every article in the paper. Simply put: can one frame, in a whizz, be two elements, both head and body? There are no shortage of helpful advice around on xml, nor on the NITF standard for news dressing, but I have not yet found one that deals with both. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Indesign, XML export and NITF
          MW Design Level 4

If I am understanding correctly you just need to tag the elements appropriately. To use a simple example, if I have a single frame of text that has a heading and body text, I would create two tags, one for the heading and one for the body. Then I would select the heading and apply the heading tag and do the same for the body. When exported to xml you will have two elements one with the heading tag and one with the body tag.

I am ignorant as to the NITF requirements and so you may need anew XSLT to run on the exported XML that would make it conform to the standard. I dunno as I am unaware of it. This part, if needed I would do in an xml editor or a good text editor that is capable of what needs done.

Mike

• 2. Re: Indesign, XML export and NITF
            Johanb Level 1

Your suggestion seem to work for me. I created two tags (head and body) that I applied just to other groups of tagged text. It gave me this structure, that might just be what my doctor ordered. Now I am ready to move on to next question: How to get 3 text frames squeezed into this same structure... Thank you so much, Mike!

<Root>

<head>

<title>title</title>

<lead>lead</lead>

<byline>byline</byline>

</head>

<body>

<bodytxt>bodytxt</bodytxt>

<sub3>sub3</sub3>

<bodytxt>bodytxt</bodytxt>

</body>

</Root>

• 3. Re: Indesign, XML export and NITF
              MW Design Level 4

If they are not threaded frames, they will be technically divided into separate second-level (or whatever) main elements. Like the Article elements shown for the two frames I have here:

capture-002965.png

If you want them to all be under, in my example Article1, then either the frames need threaded or there needs to be post export editing. So if I look at the XML in a text editor, I can easily see structure. In the screen shot below, I could remove the two highlighted element names in the middle of the screen shot and change the small red rectangle number to a 1, which would make the entire structure into a single "Article" instead of two.

capture-002967.png

I don't know the end-point--the where and what this XML out is going into--but I would not think this would be important. But...like I wrote before, this is outside of my normal work-flow (the XML out).

Mike

• 4. Re: Indesign, XML export and NITF
                Johanb Level 1

Thanks again for demonstrating the flexibility of Indesigns xml features. It is all very useful information. The new end-point is an e-newspaper for pads, phones and computers (bundled somehow with the print-purposed PDFs) distributed by a commercial agent. The starting point is the traditional work flow: word (windows) text processing, tagged to styles for Indesign (mac) lay out. We are a small organization (weekly newspaper), and my new task is to provide xml of the whole 40-48 pages Indesign layout – with no or minimal extra ressources. I must choose weather we go for xml first or xml last. The latter seems better, as it involves only one person, namely me. The (outlandish for a norwegian) NITF standard is, it seems now, not essencial after all, as the distributor easily can script convert my files. They actually accepted my Indesign style names as xml-tags, and that makes the whole process easier to automate for me.

Johan

• 5. Re: Indesign, XML export and NITF
                  MW Design Level 4

Johan, I think that's good news!

Post-processing, especially if they can do so with the ID output to what they want, sounds like the best process.

Mike