3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 10:02 AM by Szalam

why does after effects cs5 not open in yosemite?

davenokku

i haven't used after effects in a year...but in that time i have installed Yosemite

is this the cause of the app to not open?

• 1. Re: why does after effects cs5 not open in yosemite?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Only After Effects CS6 and later are supported on Mac OSX v10.10 (Yosemite). See the After Effects system requirements.

System requirements | After Effects

• 2. Re: why does after effects cs5 not open in yosemite?
            davenokku Level 1

Thanks Todd!

I have spent ALL afternoon trying to speak to some at Adobe or even get an email to ask the question to no avail!

it seems this information should not be that difficult to find out!

cheers!

• 3. Re: why does after effects cs5 not open in yosemite?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

davenokku wrote:

it seems this information should not be that difficult to find out!

It's not difficult to find; it's on the system requirements page.

Now, I have heard of some folks getting CS5.5 (and maybe CS5) to run on Yosemite, but without further explanation from you on what sort of behavior you're experiencing, nobody could really help. For example, some folks launched AE with no difficulty, but with any effect that used an eyedropper to pick colors, it would crash. This was fixed by changing the preferences to use the system color picker. Some folks couldn't get it to run at all.

If you can't get CS5 to run and you can't go back to an earlier OS, you could always upgrade. You can still purchase CS6 from Adobe.

However, since you haven't used AE in over a year, perhaps it's more of a hobby? In which case, the upgrade pricing for the Creative Cloud might be a pretty attractive option. I like the Creative Cloud because you can get the latest version (and old versions all the way down to CS6) for a pretty low monthly fee. If you paid to upgrade every new version, the subscription model actually saves a bit of money. It's also less hassle and much easier to deal with than a huge lump-sum payment to upgrade. Plus you get all the cool cloud features too, like being able to save a project to your cloud folder and opening it on a different machine somewhere else.

1 person found this helpful