3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 1:50 AM by Willi Adelberger

Any Android specifications for a reflowable epub?

Kinneret Level 1

Are there any specific details or properties for exporting reflowable (not FXL) epub, that's going to be seen at Android gadget?

I see some dramatic difference sometimes, within checking particular epub (in Hebrew) in different OS.

So, one of Android problems I see is the difficulty to show every .xhtml file completely but only a first "page" (or screen page) of each xhtml has been shown correctly. All other pages have been shown as blank (?).

Sure, no one Apple device doesn't face such problem.

(Working at the last updated Indesign version, Maverick)

• 1. Re: Any Android specifications for a reflowable epub?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think the problem is not to use different OS like iOS, Android, Mac OS X or Windows, the problem is more to use different EPUB readers, every reader renders EPUB differently and you have to try, to try and to try again on many devices and apps as you have availble, on tablets, computers and smart phone, all what your clients will use.

It is important to use the latest version of InDesign, as this area has developed rapidly in the last months.

• 2. Re: Any Android specifications for a reflowable epub?
            Kinneret Level 1

Hello to you

If we are speaking about professional use of Indesign as a epub maker, I am usually not going to be able to suggest clients using this or that software or OS. I am here to provide correct and everywhere-working epubs, should you agree? Of course I can have my favourite readers that I'd suggest to my friends or community, but ..

And I do use the latest ID version.

Here I speak about dramatic problems I see on android systems, where only the first page of every xhtml is shown.

• 3. Re: Any Android specifications for a reflowable epub?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Then you should contact the developers of the EPUB software which is making problems to you. At the moment is Apple iBook the most reliable program on Mac and iOS and can be used as reference. If other readers on Android have some shortcomings you should discuss it with them as obviously these readers have problems and are not following the current EPUB 2 and 3 standards. (Not even 1 program on the market fulfill currently all requirements.)