11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 12:20 PM by Sandgrass

Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?

Sandgrass Level 1

Once again, I am hoping the expertise of the devoted leaders of our USERS FORUM can solve my problems.  Thank you again for your devotion and efforts on behalf of all of us who struggle to produce our masterpieces.

I purchased Pre El 13 on Dec 29 and installed it 1-5-15.

My computer—Hpe 580t, Win 7 Professional 64-bit OS with a second internal 1 TB hard drive;     Burner Drive F: Name--    hp CDDVDW TS-H653T

Intel R Core, TM i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07 GHz,      RAM 9.00GB 

I use a Nikon Coolpix 100 camera to video indoor pickleball tournaments at 5 mega pixel size. These video clips range from seven seconds to one or two minutes.  I use PREL 13 to arrange the clips into whole games, which requires a lot of editing to eliminate in-between rallies and to correct lighting.  Starting with as many as 5 or 6 hours of clips, I pare down to a movie that will fit comfortably on one DVD—less than four GB, or 1 hour 45 minutes, of finished material.  After struggling alone for three months, I was able to produce such a DVD within about two weeks, thanks to A T Romano.

THE PROBLEM—after all the time and effort to produce a good movie, Prel won’t recognize the burner on my computer; therefore, I can’t produce a DVD disk.  (I always go through the Publish and Share dialog for burning a DVD with recommended settings.)  See Figure 1—below.

Even after I click on RESCAN several times, and make sure a blank disk is in the F: burner drive, PREL 13.1 refuses to find the computer burner.

Due to insufficient Upload speed (usually between 2.5 to 3.5 mbps) internet speed, sharing my Videos is wholly dependent on burning one to two hours of edited videos to DVD medium.  I have tried saving the movie to a Video_TS file on my computer, but cannot save all the components of the movie in the same TS file and be able to burn a DVD using ImgBurn.  The menus and scene markers are missing completely, and some of the video clips are also missing.  See Figure 2.

I want to use the Movie Menu Tools and scene markers to designate the beginning and ending of each scene, which I will burn to a DVD for playback on TV.  Movie menus and scene markers only work if I use the burner through PREL 13.  Other outside burners, like Windows Movie Maker or ImgBurn do not recognize the movie theme or the scene markers, nor do they provide any way to skip to a certain scene marker on the disk.

While working on other projects, I was able to burn DVD’s; however, I have become increasingly frustrated, because the vacant box indicating no burner detected is now happening every time.

Would this problem be solved by upgrading or installing another burner?

Or is this some ingrained bug in the PREL 13 software? (Such as; a burn can fail by inserting a stop marker at the end of a movie or scene)

Another PROBLEM—there is no way to save the edited video clips to a file, to be used again when PREL refuses to recognize my computer’s burner, which requires me to start all over with the editing process.

To avoid importing all the raw videos to PREL in an endless chain of clips and editing, I tried saving each game, or sometimes a whole match, to an mpg2 file on the computer.  Then it could be returned to my project by dragging and dropping the file onto the timeline in the proper sequence.  This method works in theory, but again, PREL won’t detect my burner in PUBLISH AND SHARE.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. 

Sandgrass

Figure 1

Figure 2

• 1. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandgrass

Thanks for the details. Appreciated.

Because the issues take in burn to disc and burn to folder, I think that the best course of action is to

a. uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way

b. do a free ccleaner run through with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

c. install the program with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Once we get that done, then we will revisit

a. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset

b. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with burn to: Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)

c. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen

Not sure why you have NTSC standard displaying in settings when it looks like you are

set for a 16:9 project. But, more on that later.

Burner recognition issues plus not being able to do the burn to folder may involve multiple factors.

Did you do a recent update of iTunes?

We will be watching for the results of the uninstall/reinstall and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
            Sandgrass Level 1

Hi AT—Round 2--so good to hear from you again.  My January project of nearly two hours was a great success, thanks to you.  I was so smug in all my newfound experience with PREL 13, and committed to two more movie projects.  They were progressing smoothly along, until the Burner problem cropped up.  Even in January, “No Burners detected” sometimes would appear; then I would tweak a few PUBLISH & S settings, or go back to my Timeline and fiddle with the Movie Menu, and PREL would finally recognize the  F: Burner drive.   Now the problem is continuous.  However, PREL recognizes the Burn/Save to ISO or FOLDER locations in any format; i.e.—Widescreen or Standard.  I changed every possible setting just to see if that would correct the situation, but no luck.  The screen shot showing NTSC standard was simply an attempt to find a solution, and I did not go back to select Widescreen before the screen shot.

All your suggestions have been completed.  I uninstalled PREL 13 and disabled the Firewall and Antivirus (s), then reinstalled.  CCleaner has long been a regular part of my weekly maintenance routine. I even did a wipe of all free space on my two hard drives, which took a bunch of hours during the night. Firewall and Antivirus are enabled again.

I opened a 19-minute movie, to which a movie menu has been added.  (See Figure 1.)    PREL will still not detect my F: burner.  (See Figure 2.) 

Details are my middle name, having learned from your works with me and also with other wannabees. 

I have tried several times to Save my projects to a Video_TS folder and use ImgBurn to burn to a DVD.  Something must have gone wrong, for the resulting DVD’s produced only parts of the video minus the scene markers, or could not be played at all on a DVD player.  Is this really a legitimate way around the burner problem?  If I could make it work, that would be heavenly.

In your work with John Steeler, the limit of 15 minute movies was mentioned several times.  Does this apply to instant movies, or is this a limit that should be observed when applying the Movie Menu Tool as well?  What about working with 15 minutes of video clips and save each segment, to be imported back as mpg files for the finished DVD?  That’s a lot of segments when you have an hour and a half or more of movies.

Is there any problem to be suspected in using heavily-edited clips regarding lighting and cutting out frames with no action?  I can save them as .prel movies and save myself tons of re-editing time if I have to reconstruct these individual pickleball games that can be preserved in the 15-minute segments.

How much degrading of clip quality does editing or rendering cause from the original clip?       

Thanks so much for your continued guidance and support.                        Sandgrass

(Figure 1)

(Figure 2)

Burner Still Undetected.jpg

• 3. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandgrass

Thanks for the great post full of information.

For troubleshooting purposes, make one or more copies of your project - File Menu/Save A Copy - and work from copies each, each with a different name than the original.

1. Did you look at the burn to disc or folder with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher disabled? Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

2. Is the burner recognized and can you burn to disc if you remove the Timeline menu markers and Movie Menu from the project?

3. The 15 minute duration limit is for Instant Movie. You are not using Instant Movie so, with your19 minute Timeline, you should have no 15 minute restriction and should be fine in that regard. One thing you could check out about your Timeline structure - see if it makes a difference in any of the workflow - look to the

Timeline spot about 00;17;05;02 - what is that clip and can you fill in the empty audio space under it with muted audio?

4. Let us go back to focus on the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved burn to folder route....

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

burn to: Folder (4.7 GB)...

In the Quality area of the burn dialog, what is displayed for Space Required and Bitrate with and without a check mark next

to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

Are you taking only the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved Premiere Elements folder into ImgBurn?

ImgBurn

Write Files/folders to disc

File Menu/Browse to source folder (that being only your VIDEO_TS Folder)

Let us review the above and then focus in on what next.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                Sandgrass Level 1

Oops--forgot one detail!  I updated iTunes 2-22-15.       Sandgrass

To: Sandy McPherson <jimsanmc1@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 1:36 PM

Subject:  Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionSandgrass Thanks for the details. Appreciated. Because the issues take in burn to disc and burn to folder, I think that the best course of action is to a. uninstall the program the usual Control Panel wayb. do a free ccleaner run through with antivirus and firewall(s) disabledCCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Downloadc. install the program with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. Once we get that done, then we will revisita. PublishShare/Disc/DVD disc with the NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD presetb. PublishShare/Disc/DVD with burn to: Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)c. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen Not sure why you have NTSC standard displaying in settings when it looks like you areset for a 16:9 project. But, more on that later. Burner recognition issues plus not being able to do the burn to folder may involve multiple factors.Did you do a recent update of iTunes? We will be watching for the results of the uninstall/reinstall and then decide what next. Thanks. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7304004#7304004 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7304004#7304004 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandgrass

Thanks for the additional information.

Could you do an iTunes uninstall to determine if that will consistently result in Premiere Elements recognizing your burner?

It worked recently in at least one case.

History may not repeat itself in this regard, but work a look at just in case.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                    Sandgrass Level 1

ATRmy head is spinning with detailsand success!  I decided in the interest of time to use the email route to respond to you fully--hope it's OK.Sandgrass

ATR—my answers to your Q’sand instructions are in red below your statements..  It got sort of hairy trying to carry out allthese steps and tasks below.Sandgrass Thanks for the greatpost full of information. For troubleshootingpurposes, make one or more copies of your project - File Menu/Save A Copy - andwork from copies each, each with a different name than the original.  

- Did you look at the burn to disc or folder with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher disabled? Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

• 7. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandgrass

The full message did not appear in post 6 so I am not sure if there is more to come.

But your message that did appear ".....my head is spinning with details and success." suggest that

you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

As your schedule permits, we will be watching for further details.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                        Sandgrass Level 1

Sorry about that.  I will redo the entire post on the web site.  Not much time to do anything today; tomorrow I will be back in full swing.    And yes, unchecking the Hardware acceleration  box seemed to solve the undected burner=====hopefully.      Sandgrass 

To: Sandy McPherson <jimsanmc1@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:28 PM

Subject:  Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionSandgrass The full message did not appear in post 6 so I am not sure if there is more to come. But your message that did appear ".....my head is spinning with details and success." suggest thatyou are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects. As your schedule permits, we will be watching for further details. Best wishes ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313961#7313961 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7313961#7313961 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 9. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandgrass

Thanks for the information. Great information to have about the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference, great contribution.

Sounding good.

ATR

• 10. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                            Sandgrass Level 1

Hi ATR--

Subject: Re:  Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?

Obviously, I am less than savvy on how to post correctly.  It looks as if Post 6 finally is complete, which has a bunch of questions in various places.  Hopefully, you can pick up on those Q's and have time to answer them.  I elected to redo the bulk of my project.  Rendering, saving to .prel, then to .mpg, then to .MPEG2, not knowing exactly would work with the Burner problem, caused the end product to have serious quality erosion in the videos.

When you insert a link for me to follow, how do I use that link to go to the recommended info on the user forum?  Clicking on or copying and pasting does not take me to the desired info.

Do I need to mark each individual answer you send as Correct, and before or after I complete all the  instructions?

I finally saw how to insert an image, as you see in the completed Post 6.

Thanks for your high level of patience!                       Sandgrass

March 21-6:33 PM--how about one more problem to solve; this has cropped up in previous edits and made me start over because I couldn't find a solution.  The TITLE edit screen is stuck on one Clip.  The "Safe Margins" indicator will not release so I can move to other clips.  If I move the Timeline Indicator to a specific clip and then click on the Monitor, that frame appears in the Monitor, but the TI will not move, and the movie will not play.  This problem started when I previewed the Movie theme and all the scene markers.  The next step would have been to BURN A DVD.

Please see the Screen Shot (Figure 8) below.

Also, after choosing a movie theme and inserting Menu markers (14 to be exact) I cannot get the Preview to display anything but a white screen, even though the theme music plays in the background,  I am guessing these two problems are related, and both have happened before.  I'm just not sure if they occurred simultaneously or separately.  Hopefully, this is the last hurdle before I burn to DVD.  Every test of the Publish & Share tool has shown the Burner status to be READY!                         Do you have a little more magic for me one more time?                        Thank you forever                Sandgrass         

Figure 8

Fig 8 Title edit lines stuck.jpg

• 11. Re: Is PREL 13.1 the Problem, or is it the burner in my computer?
                              Sandgrass Level 1

The complete message is missing--again.  I'll try posting directly into this frame.  Sandgrass.

ATR—my answers to your Q’s and instructions are in red (except where indicated by ANSWER) below your statements..  It got sort of hairy trying to carry out all these steps and tasks below.

Sandgrass

Thanks for the great post full of information.

For troubleshooting purposes, make one or more copies of your project - File Menu/Save A Copy - and work from copies each, each with a different name than the original.

1. Did you look at the burn to disc or folder with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher disabled?

ANSWER-- Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/General.-----------  I unchecked the box for acceleration and  - - - See LOVELY Screen Shot (Fig 5) Burn Status = Ready. 

How do you know all this stuff?  I’m afraid to touch boxes and choices for fear it will really mess me up, and unless someone instructs me to do so.

Fig 5 Pen-Jam-CJ-Jim Burn Ready!.jpg

Is the burner recognized and can you burn to disc if you remove the Timeline menu markers and Movie Menu from the project?------------Burn Status shows Ready!

With no Menu Markers or Movie Menu, I tried a Burn command after rechecking the Hdw Accel. box, and the Burn Status shows Ready with the box either checked or unchecked.  Since the Hardware Acceleration checkbox seems to be related to my problem, (Fig 6) is a Screen Shot of my computer’s two Drivers, F: & G: .  Is Hardware Accel necessary for good quality movies such as I want to produce? 

1. A. Could this one box be the source of all my troubles?
                              2. B. Why is it now working either way?

Fig 6 Computer Driver Specs.jpg

1. 3. The 15 minute duration limit is for Instant Movie. You are not using Instant Movie so, with your19 minute Timeline, you should have no 15 minute restriction and should be fine in that regard. One thing you could check out about your Timeline structure - see if it makes a difference in any of the workflow - look to the Timeline spot about 00;17;05;02 - what is that clip and can you fill in the empty audio space under it with muted audio?  Clip at 17;05:02 looks normal to me.  There is a gap in the audio at 17:20:21 where I inserted  a Black Video and Title. Muted audio?  Couldn’t find a reference to Muted Audio.  Sorry.
                              2. 4. Let us go back to focus on the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved burn to folder route....

Publish+Share  -- Disc – DVD -- burn to: Folder (4.7 GB)...

In the Quality area of the burn dialog, what is displayed for Space Required and Bitrate with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?  

(Fig 7) is a Scn Shot of the Settings for saving an MPEG file to computer.  I don’t know enough to mess with most of the presets when the window opens.  I did bump up the Quality to high 80’s, low 90’s.  The Field Order is preset to Lower First.

Fig 7 Settings For Save to MPEG2 File.jpg

Are you taking only the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved Premiere Elements folder into ImgBurn?

ImgBurn

Write Files/folders to disc

File Menu/Browse to source folder (that being only your VIDEO_TS Folder)

Here we go!  I was opening the TS folder and trying to choose what files had to be imported to ImgBurn!  OK—so you take the entire VIDEO_TS Folder to ImgBurn? 

Out of time for today.  I will proceed from here and report back to you, hopefully tomorrow.

(ANSWER CONTINUES, SHOULD BE IN RED.)

1. Since I will be pushing the limits of a 4.7 GB, two-hour movie for my third project, how long should the ideal segments be before saving to an mpeg folder, to be dragged and dropped back to my timeline if I burn  straight to DVD?
                              2. Which way would net the best DVD quality—Burn straight to DVD, or save to a VIDEO_TS Folder and use ImgBurn for the DVD?

You deserve a medal for all you have done for me.  Thanks so much, ATR         Sandgrass

Let us review the above and then focus in on what next.

ATR