6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 3:25 PM by paul6001

Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.

paul6001

The old computer was Windows 7, the new computer is Windows 7. Watched the recommended video. Moved everything but the pictures: Catalog, settings, presets, everything I could find. Then I tried to import the pictures. They came, but without developments. Everything was raw, all the "removed" files were back. I'm in my 14th hour of grasping at straws. Mental health deteriorating. Please, I beg you, please . . .

• 1. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Don't re-import the pictures.  The basic idea is to move everything including your hierarchy of photo folders to the new computer. Then open the catalog on the new computer and, if necessary, tell Lightroom where to find the new location of the photo hierarchy.  See this article for details:

How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

• 2. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
            paul6001 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I loosened the noose just a bit.

Will I then have to go through all the pictures and find them again? Or at least all the folders? I have a lot of folders.

Also, when pictures are "lost," they have that little question mark in the corner. I don't have that question mark. In fact, I have the "developments have been made mark.

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No. Simply copy the folder structure over exactly as it was on your old computer to the new one. Do the same with your catalog file. Simply open the catalog file on the new computer (double click it or select "open catalog" from the file menu) and everything will be there. You might have to point Lightroom to the top-level folder in your hierarchy by right clicking on it and selecting "find missing folder". It should then reallocate every image with their new location.

• 4. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
                paul6001 Level 1

It took a lot of finagling, and a lot of help from the wise people on this site, but I think that migration has been achieved. I can't call it a victory because I'm much worse for the attempt. I think that a couple of months in Promises Malibu should get me back on track. Thank you.

• 5. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
                  goob4114

I realize your problem is solved, but from the sound of it - when you say, "Will I then have to go through all the pictures and find them again? Or at least all the folders?", it implies that they are not all in the same place.  It is highly recommended that you have ONE folder that contains every picture you want in Lightroom.  Now, you can have as many sub folder, layers and layers of sub folders as you want, but ultimately, they should all be in ONE parent folder.  Not only does it make it much easier for Lightroom, but migrating is much easier, backing up is much easier, etc.  You just have to move one folder and you're done - and as has been pointed out here, if Lightroom ever loses a connection to your pictures, you only need to find ONE folder to remake that connection - and assuming your catalog is intact, any and all data associated with those pictures (edits, keywords, previews, etc.) will be intact as well.  If your structure isn't already like this, I would suggest spending a few hours getting them this way.  And when you do so - - USE LIGHTROOM TO MOVE THE FOLDERS.  I used all caps because it is VERY important.  When you move folders around within Lightroom, it moves them on your computer AND (most importantly) maintains the connection - since Lightroom knows where you are moving things. 

• 6. Re: Migration problem. Suicide becoming a viable option.
                    paul6001 Level 1

Point well taken.

You know, when I found out that there was no Adobe help line to call, I was pissed. But this forum has been great. Thanks to all the civic-minded photographers out there.