5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 8:50 AM by Szalam Branched from an earlier discussion.

slow render

kinetic4307 Level 1

I'm having the same problem. I have the Mac Pro (late 2013) and rendering with in AE is taking forever. Exporting via AME is also extremely slow. I'm rendering a 5 min video with minimal animations to h264 SD and it's taking over 2 hours! I must be doing something wrong. There is no way this monster of a machine is this slow rendering video. Right??

Processor

• 3.7GHz Quad-Core
        • Intel Xeon E5 with 10MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
        • Configurable to 3.5GHz 6-core processor with 12MB L3 cache, 3.0GHz 8-core processor with 25MB L3 cache, or 2.7GHz 12-core processor with 30MB L3 cache
      • 3.5GHz 6-Core
        • Intel Xeon E5 with 12MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
        • Configurable to 3.0GHz 8-core processor with 25MB L3 cache or 2.7GHz 12-core processor with 30MB L3 cache

Memory

• 3.7GHz Quad-Core
        • 12GB (three 4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
        • Configurable to 16GB (four 4GB), 32GB (four 8GB) or 64GB (four 16GB)
      • 3.5GHz 6-Core
        • 16GB (four 4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
        • Configurable to 32GB (four 8GB) or 64GB (four 16GB)

Graphics

• 3.7GHz Quad-Core
        • Dual AMD FirePro D300 graphics processors with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
          • 1280 stream processors
          • 256-bit-wide memory bus
          • 160GB/s memory bandwidth
          • 2 teraflops performance
          • Configurable to dual AMD FirePro D500, each with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM, 1526 stream processors, 384-bit-wide memory bus, 240GB/s memory bandwidth, and 2.2 teraflops performance; or dual AMD FirePro D700, each with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM, 2048 stream processors, 384-bit-wide memory bus, 264GB/s memory bandwidth, and 3.5 teraflops performance
        • 1. Re: slow render
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What effects do you have? What animations do you have? Check your composition settings to make sure it's using the standard renderer and not the ray-traced renderer.

Also, what are your actual computer specs? You've got listings for at least two system specs with different clock speeds and cores on the processor and different RAM with "configurable" options listed and no mention of what your system actually has.

Also, other than the GPU's you've listed, that is not a monster machine at all. Only 12 GB of RAM? That's not a lot for AE.

• 2. Re: slow render
            kinetic4307 Level 1

i'm using Primate Keyer and Magic Bullets Looks along with basic transitions.  Ray-traced is not selected.

Mac Pro (late 2013)

16 GB of ram

250 GB HD (140 free)

1 TB external thunderbolt drive

Processor: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

• 3. Re: slow render

Okay. 16 GB of RAM is a bit better No monster, but reasonable specs for AE.

What are your composition settings? (Screenshot would probably be easier than typing it all.)

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings? (Again, screenshot would be easier.)

Could we see a screenshot of your render settings and one of your output module settings?

You said something about h.264. AE is not good at encoding in h.264. Try encoding into something a lot less compressed. You can then drop that resulting file into the Adobe Media Encoder (which is good at making h.264 files) for your final deliverable. A good intermediate codec would be QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec at a reasonably high quality.

Also, you haven't mentioned yet, what version of AE are you using? And make your answer down to the last decimal, please. Saying, "CC" isn't helpful; saying, "Version 13.2.0.49" is much more helpful.

What version of Primatte are you using?

What version of Looks are you using?

• 4. Re: slow render
                kinetic4307 Level 1

Thanks Szalam. Here are the specs

AE CC 13.2.0.49

Primatte Keyer: 5.1.1

Looks: 2.0.2

4.png5.png3.png2.png1.png

• 5. Re: slow render

And what about your render settings?

kinetic4307 wrote:

Looks: 2.0.2

Looks can take a while to render depending on what settings you've chosen.

You also might consider updating Looks. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily recommend upgrading to version 3 in the middle of a project, but the 2.5 (free update) included faster rendering as one of the bug-fixes. (And the 2.5.3 update fixed some hanging in Premiere). Go here: Red Giant | Looks Downloads