10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2010 7:49 AM by Dasnuke

Please reinstall your software

maitreg
      I'd been using Fireworks 8 on WinXP Pro regularly for over a year, but a couple of weeks ago, while working with a large image file, Fireworks crashed. I rebooted Windows and Fireworks has not worked since. I get the following message box when I try to start it

Macromedia Product Activation

Please Reinstall your software

A problem was detected with your application. Please reinstall this software to correct the problem.

I have tried EVERYTHING to get Fireworks working again to no avail, including Fireworks installation repair, Fireworks reinstall, full re-install of Studio 8, MM Extension Manager 1.5/1.6/1.7 uninstall/re-install, uninstall of every update and app that was installed for the past month, Windows setup repair, Norton One-click fix, Norton WinDoctor, Norton Registrry Repair, IE7 uninstall, VS2007 SP1 uninstall, SQL Server uninstall, Flash player uninstall, Shockwave uninstall, Netscape uninstall, Office updates uninstall, etc. Absolutely NOTHING has worked.

This was part of a Studio 8 upgrade from Studio MX. I went back and reinstalled Fireworks 6 (from Studio MX) and it works fine, but Fireworks 8 will not work no matter what I do. I only found one mention of a solution in a Google search to this problem but it talked about re-installing Fireworks in Safe Mode, which is impossible because the Windows installer won't even run in Safe Mode.

The only thing left to do at this point is a complete WinXP re-installation, unless someone has a better idea?
        • 1. Re: Please reinstall your software
          Level 7
          I would definitively contact Adobe tech support on this one

alex

maitreg wrote:
          > I'd been using Fireworks 8 on WinXP Pro regularly for over a year, but a couple
          > of weeks ago, while working with a large image file, Fireworks crashed. I
          > rebooted Windows and Fireworks has not worked since. I get the following
          > message box when I try to start it
          >
          > Macromedia Product Activation
          >
          > Please Reinstall your software
          >
          > A problem was detected with your application. Please reinstall this software
          > to correct the problem.
          >
          > I have tried EVERYTHING to get Fireworks working again to no avail, including
          > Fireworks installation repair, Fireworks reinstall, full re-install of Studio
          > 8, MM Extension Manager 1.5/1.6/1.7 uninstall/re-install, uninstall of every
          > update and app that was installed for the past month, Windows setup repair,
          > Norton One-click fix, Norton WinDoctor, Norton Registrry Repair, IE7 uninstall,
          > VS2007 SP1 uninstall, SQL Server uninstall, Flash player uninstall, Shockwave
          > uninstall, Netscape uninstall, Office updates uninstall, etc. Absolutely
          > NOTHING has worked.
          >
          > This was part of a Studio 8 upgrade from Studio MX. I went back and
          > reinstalled Fireworks 6 (from Studio MX) and it works fine, but Fireworks 8
          > will not work no matter what I do. I only found one mention of a solution in a
          > Google search to this problem but it talked about re-installing Fireworks in
          > Safe Mode, which is impossible because the Windows installer won't even run in
          > Safe Mode.
          >
          > The only thing left to do at this point is a complete WinXP re-installation,
          > unless someone has a better idea?
          >
          • 2. Re: Please reinstall your software
            qwerty236
            The same thing just happened to me. Everything was fine with Fireworks 8 yesterday, today I get the message:

Macromedia Product Activation
            Please Reinstall your software
            A problem was detected with your application. Please reinstall this software to correct the problem.

I have a G4 iBook Mac O10.4. I have tried deleting & reinstalling everything. I have had to reinstall Fireworks MX2004 which seems to work fine.

Have you made any progress?
            • 3. Re: Please reinstall your software
              maitreg Level 1
              No, it still won't work. I went back to MX 6, but its scripting support isn't quite as good as PSP XI, so I'm using both right now for different functions.
              • 4. Please reinstall your software
                jbaker9000
                The same exact thing has happened to me. Just yesterday, the 10th, I tried opening up a fireworks 8 document and got the message described above. Uninstalling won't fix it. I've opened up a case with technical support and will see what happens.

btw, I'm running on a mac, 10.4.8, and this is part of a studio 8 install which has worked fine for about 5 months. The other programs seem to be fine, but my guess is that it could happen to any of them. It seems to be some kind of activation problem which could be related to the macromedia to adobe switch. When I access my account online I get messages regarding the switch over relating to my account info.
                • 5. Re: Please reinstall your software
                  qwerty236 Level 1
                  I also opened a case although it had to be a customer service case because I'm not able to register my copy of fireworks because it is an educational volume licence therefore I am unable to access the technical support case service. I haven't heard anything yet.
                  • 6. Re: Please reinstall your software
                    Anne_Curtis
                    Hi, I am having the exact same problem on my mac. The machine crashed last week and i re-installed everything. Everything works except fireworks, it keeps telling me to re-install it. Any more suggestions?
                    • 7. Re: Please reinstall your software
                      orange235
                      unfortunately I'm experiencing the same problem - has anybody got any solution to this. I'm using Macromedia Studio 8 which isn't supported any longer by the adobe guys...

system: MacBook Intel Core-Duo, os x 10.4.11, Macromedia Studio 8
                      • 8. Re: Please reinstall your software
                        carolelucido
                        The same thing happened to me on my Mac yesterday. I have uninstalled, reinstalled and deleted the preferences file three times now. I am using Fireworks CS2 on OSX Version 10.3.9
                        • 9. Re: Please reinstall your software
                          carolelucido Level 1
                          I contacted Adobe support and here is the solution for Fireworks 8 on Mac OS 10.3.9

1. Try to repair the permissions
                          go to 1. Applications
                          2. Utilities
                          3. Disk Utilities
                          4. Repair permissions

If that does not fix it, uninstall Fireworks following this Technote: http://www.adobe.com/go/8f101099

2. Make a new user account for your mac
                          Logon to the machine using that user account and then launch Fireworks. The error may be specific to the user profile.

3. Delete some MLF files (this one worked for me)
                          go to these two paths and delete the .MLF files
                          a) Harddrive:Library:Appliction Support:Macromedia:Licensing:Licenses:Fireworks 8.0
                          b) Harddrive:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Licensing Products: Fireworks 8.0

After deleting all .MLF files from both folders, reinstall Fireworks.

Good Luck. I hope it works for you.
                          • 10. Re: Please reinstall your software
                            Dasnuke

Howdy,

It seems that there is some sort of "global" Updater problem that is impacting many Adobe *.app(s). I am seeing the same message message:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/651084

and there are other topics regarding the Updater and the Dreaded Message from Heck.

I have repaired permissions, SU Caches etc. with  DiskWarrior and Disk Utilities

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2

Processor Name: PowerPC 970  (2.2)

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 900 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f1

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)