7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 6:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?

pdk-midwest Level 1

I have Premier Elements 11, on a Windows 7 (64 bit)  machine. I also have Tivo Roamio, with their transfer software which will copy shows from the Tivo box onto my computer hard drive. I have recorded some movies I want to share with my kids when they come home from college this summer (one-time viewing, strictly private, in-home only). The video transfers show up as FILENAME.Tivo files; if I want, I can convert those into mpg files, via software by Pavtube. However, some shows will not convert completely; and, if I could avoid a time-consuming (and possibly lossy; not sure about that) conversion step, that would be nice.

So, the question becomes, can I install some codec into Premier Elements, that will allow it to recognize and handle filename.Tivo files?

If anyone can tell me where to find that kind of codec, and give me the basics of a step-by-step installation, to get the codec into a location where the Premier software can find and use it, that would be very appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since the files were created by "Tivo Roamio" have you asked them for an editing codec?

• 2. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

pdk-midwest

From what I have read those TiVo files use MPEG2 video compression, but I do not believe an installed MPEG2 codec is your issue...I believe that the answer resides in the Tivo wrapper for the file. And, that needs a converter, not install of 3rd party components for Premiere Elements, not even Premiere Pro.

But, John's point is well taken about asking the Tivo people about application of their product for video editing purposes and your quest for an editing codec versus trying to re-wrap the file for video editing purposes.

That is just my impression of the situation. I do not have Tivo service or the recorder that you have.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
              pdk-midwest Level 1

Thanks for both comments. I contacted Tivo tech support, and they do not have any codec they can offer, to solve that particular problem. The guy asked if I have a Mac machine, and I do, so he told me I should locate and try some Google-related software called "ctivo", but he doesn't know the details of how it works or what it can do. So, I'll be checking into that, to see if it works better than PavTube at getting past a barrier in convertingn one particular file that repeatedly stops at the 12-minute mark.

I have a MiniMac, so, hopefully, it will let me handle stuff on 16 Gb thumb drives, in terms of Tivo files in, and mpg files out. That would let me take "unwrapped" mpg files to a Win machine with an internal DVD/Bluray burner that uses standard SATA cables. Otherwise, I'll need to start looking into an "outboard" Bluray burner with some sort of high-speed cable connection to the MiniMac.

• 4. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

pdk-midwest

Thanks for the update. Your follow up is appreciated by all in a similar situation as the one you are facing. We are glad that Tivo Support offered you input on video editing of those Tivo files.

We will be looking forward to your further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
                  pdk-midwest Level 1

Another quick update -

I've been trying the ctivo software, and have not seen any advantages over the combination of "Tivo Desktop" to transfer the files, followed by Pavtube to convert them into other formats that Premier can handle. Both software types seem to fail on the exact same files, and the 12 minute mark is a common, almost thematic failure point. Neither one provides any indication (at least, none that I can find) of why, and/or what went wrong, or whether I can do anything to fix it. Each time I have I tried one or more additional attempt, I have always gotten the same result.

ctivo provides a yellowish "Failed" color and message on its progress bar, with no other info.

Pavtube doesn't, and I have to check each converted file, to see if it's a good file. On occasion, the converted file size is only a small fraction of the expected number, and I'll know it's bad without checking further. More commonly, I have to check the final seconds of any file, to see if it still has a good picture. If any file conversion fails at some point, the entire screen shifts into static gobbledy-****, and I have never seen any converted file shift back to a good signal after a failure point like that.

I'm going to start looking into posts and threads at videohelp.com, to see if anyone there can help.

• 6. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
                    pdk-midwest Level 1

A final note --

the Pavtube software I use is "Free Video DVD Converter Ultimate", version 1.1.0.5359. It converts entire files, with no watermarks, into any of numerous formats, including Bluray formats with 1080 resolution.

Pavtube apparently realized they were missing a chance to persuade customers to upgrade to their paid version, so they re-issued their free software, in a form that now places an (unwanted) watermark on any file that was converted by their >> revised << free version.

So, the obvious choice is to find a download link for the earlier version that doesn't put watermarls into converted files. They are available. I could mention one, but I don't know the policy of this site on posting such links.

• 7. Re: Can I add a Tivo codec to Premier Elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pdk-midwest

Thanks for sharing your information on the outcome of your Premiere Elements Tivo projects.

Appreciated.

I am not sure of the Adobe Forums position on posting links to other software under these circumstances even when the software is free.

I will ask one of the moderators to post an opinion on the link that you would like to share.

Best wishes

ATR